Sponsored by:

Harley rear wobble? Witnessed

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 11:03 AM
JP-FLSTFB
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harley rear wobble? Witnessed

So I have heard of it but never seen it till I watched a friend go down in front of me a month ago. Never want to see this again. This road (pictured) we have ridden several hundred times with no issue. It's a long left sweeper about a mile from my house. He was in front of me and powered into the corner (55'ish mph) as soon as he dipped into the corner I watched his rear tire shimmy violently from side to side. It actually rear steered him into the oncoming breakdown lane. At this point he powered up and down to try and get it to stop shimmying and all of a sudden it stopped as fast as it started and he shot back to the right side of the street but over corrected and road the guard rail about 50ft and spit him back out into the street flipping the bike over.

His bike was an 07 street glide. He suffered broken ribs , broken ankle, broken arm and wrist and a brain bleed. He is home now but has no feeling and can't move his left arm/fingers. This has been playing over and over in my mind and have ridden this road several times trying to figure out what happened. For the life of me I can't figure it out. I'm blaming the Harley wobble just because he was doing nothing crazy and the way the bike reacted. Just glad he is going to be ok. Hoping his arm gets back to normal.

Thoughts?

Attached Thumbnails Harley rear wobble? Witnessed-photo123.jpg  
Old 06-11-2016, 11:47 AM
talkingrock
Road Warrior
Received 421 Likes on 284 Posts

sad to hear we had a rider have the same issue here broke his wrist {both}and killed his wife

Old 06-11-2016, 11:51 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,950 Likes on 2,169 Posts

Another biker down? These types of threads are becoming way too common lately. I hope he recovers.

Why the Rushmore forum, though?

Old 06-11-2016, 12:19 PM
JP-FLSTFB
Tourer

Originally Posted by talkingrock
sad to hear we had a rider have the same issue here broke his wrist {both}and killed his wife
That's my fear....after hearing this I prefer solo and risking myself over someone else.

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
Another biker down? These types of threads are becoming way too common lately. I hope he recovers.

Why the Rushmore forum, though?
That was my bad I have a Rushmore and am in this forum all the time.

Old 06-11-2016, 12:28 PM
King-a-ling
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Did a bearing collapse or a spacer come apart, swing arm bushing, etc.

Last edited by King-a-ling; 06-11-2016 at 12:38 PM.
Old 06-11-2016, 12:55 PM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

Sorry to hear about your buddy,hope he mends fast.The cause on a 07 bike going into a severe wobble under normal riding could be anything from a worn suspension part or more likely a tire. Owner,if interested,needs a good shop to examine bike as to what caused the wobble.

Old 06-11-2016, 01:07 PM
JP-FLSTFB
Tourer

Originally Posted by King-a-ling
Did a bearing collapse or a spacer come apart, swing arm bushing, etc.
Originally Posted by GTK
Sorry to hear about your buddy,hope he mends fast.The cause on a 07 bike going into a severe wobble under normal riding could be anything from a worn suspension part or more likely a tire. Owner,if interested,needs a good shop to examine bike as to what caused the wobble.
The bike is long gone now. It was a total loss. I did give it a once over. The tires were pressurized good. Shocks in place. Wasn't able to get too deep into it.

Old 06-11-2016, 01:21 PM
johnnythrottle
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

wow, hope your buddy recovers OK. I need to hear about this freak accident **** to improve my awareness of my machine and the terrain so thank you for sharing.

Old 09-22-2018, 06:51 PM
Ramin Abdollahi
Stage II
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello guys,

Just the same thing happened to me on a highway!!!!!!! Riding with a buddy on street-glide. On speed of 60 miles I was on the left lane and my buddy was on the right lane. On a left curve (nor sharp curve) the steering froze!!!! Luckily there was no car behind us. My buddy next to me saw that my bike it getting very close to him. he sped up and I stopped the bike with break on right shoulder........ I switched off the bike. Checked tires and all. when switched on the steering was working properly. I was inches away from crashing...... feeling lucky and hopefully somebody looks into this.

Old 09-22-2018, 07:15 PM
roadpop
Tourer
Location: Living 33yrs in Sunny Florida !!! Living the retirement dream....Love it!!!
Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramin Abdollahi
Hello guys,

Just the same thing happened to me on a highway!!!!!!! Riding with a buddy on street-glide. On speed of 60 miles I was on the left lane and my buddy was on the right lane. On a left curve (nor sharp curve) the steering froze!!!! Luckily there was no car behind us. My buddy next to me saw that my bike it getting very close to him. he sped up and I stopped the bike with break on right shoulder........ I switched off the bike. Checked tires and all. when switched on the steering was working properly. I was inches away from crashing...... feeling lucky and hopefully somebody looks into this.
This thread is over 2 yrs old..your first post and you find this thread and then you tell us the steering froze...froze...sorry doesn’t pass the smell test for me

Quick Reply: Harley rear wobble? Witnessed