Sponsored by:

Compensator went bad

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 10:18 AM
desertwolf
Road Master
Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Compensator went bad

When I had my 2014 Road King in to have a new rear tire put on the tech informed me that my compensator was going bad. I had noticed that there was alittle more noise coming coming from down there but nothing bad or alarming. Since my extended warranty was due to expire soon, I had them go ahead and replace the compensator. The bike only has 24 some thousand miles on it and Mobile 1 V-twin has been used in the primary since the first oil change. Is this all the milage I am going to get out of a compensator? This is the "new improved SE compensator" that came in 14's and this is all thery're good for- 24k miles?

Old 01-31-2017, 07:52 AM
Ahhnuld
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bad Compensator? The only way that would go "bad", is if the nut came loose and it got beat up while it was clanging around in there, which might have been what happened.

As far as longevity, it should last the life of the bike, as long as the nut is locktited and torqued correctly. My 2002 RK has 114k and I have replaced my stator once at 60k, thats it for the primary.

Old 01-31-2017, 09:16 AM
screaminroadking
Road Master
Received 139 Likes on 64 Posts

Ahhnuld Do some research my friend. Many many issues with bad compensators. Replaced mine last summer Bike is a 2008 CVO Roadking 28.000 miles at the time. Should have been replaced long before that. Although in reality it should never have had to been replaced. Crappy design, crappy materials used to make them. Hopefully the new one holds up better.

Old 01-31-2017, 10:08 AM
Mr D
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahhnuld
Bad Compensator? The only way that would go "bad", is if the nut came loose and it got beat up while it was clanging around in there, which might have been what happened.

As far as longevity, it should last the life of the bike, as long as the nut is locktited and torqued correctly. My 2002 RK has 114k and I have replaced my stator once at 60k, thats it for the primary.
True....& deficient oiling as well, NOT what oil you're using, but how the compensator is oiled
While the dealer is in there, invest in this here, makes a difference, IMO
http://gmrperformance.com/products/compensaver/

Old 01-31-2017, 12:51 PM
DeneFXDWG
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

On my last bike, ('11 Road King), I went through 4 and gave up. Bike ran poor and had a severe "hunt" and that's what I attribute to the early demise of each unit. Around town you could feel lurching and the comp working against itself and that's why I think it ate itself all the time.

Old 02-01-2017, 06:42 AM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior
Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

I have 83K on my 14 Limited. No compensator issues. Previous Harleys the compensator lasted 12-15K, so I am happy with this one.

Old 02-01-2017, 01:51 PM
RonaldNC
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by desertwolf
When I had my 2014 Road King in to have a new rear tire put on the tech informed me that my compensator was going bad. I had noticed that there was alittle more noise coming coming from down there but nothing bad or alarming. Since my extended warranty was due to expire soon, I had them go ahead and replace the compensator. The bike only has 24 some thousand miles on it and Mobile 1 V-twin has been used in the primary since the first oil change. Is this all the milage I am going to get out of a compensator? This is the "new improved SE compensator" that came in 14's and this is all thery're good for- 24k miles?
My 2014 Limited's compensator went bad in the first 9,000 miles. It seems to happen relatively frequently.

Old 02-02-2017, 10:15 AM
desertwolf
Road Master
Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

When I picked the bike up I talked with the service rep and he stated that Harley compensators are a wear item and need replaced just like brakes, tires, ect. He also said 24K miles is about normal, some go longer others go less. My bike being a 14 had the "new improved SE comp" with the cover that has the oil deflector and it still didn't last very long. This is a **** poor design. And the idea that a comp is just a wear item that needs replaced every 24K miles or so is f*cked.

Old 02-02-2017, 11:06 AM
DeneFXDWG
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by desertwolf
When I picked the bike up I talked with the service rep and he stated that Harley compensators are a wear item and need replaced just like brakes, tires, ect. He also said 24K miles is about normal, some go longer others go less. My bike being a 14 had the "new improved SE comp" with the cover that has the oil deflector and it still didn't last very long. This is a **** poor design. And the idea that a comp is just a wear item that needs replaced every 24K miles or so is f*cked.
They are a poor design and that's why I always ask the question is "what do other vtwins do" and why didn't Harley fix the issue with the M8 and redesign?

Old 02-02-2017, 11:13 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,275 Likes on 11,144 Posts

My dealer replaced my OEM Compensator on '12 TriGlide at 30,000 miles, when they pulled the primary to fix a small leak. They put in the SE Compensator. After 2k, miles on the SE, it sounded like marbles being shaken in a coffee can if I started out with low RPMs, or if I blipped the throttle.

I replaced the SE with a BAker Compensator, and after 1k miles, so far so good.

And yes.,,the nut was very snug and had locktite, took quite a bit of heat and torque to get it loose,

Quick Reply: Compensator went bad