Sponsored by:

Tricking the Boom Infotainment for better Sound Quality

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 06:57 PM
HogPilot54
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Tricking the Boom Infotainment for better Sound Quality

This topic of conversation came up over in the audio forum so I thought I'd bring it up over here on the Rushmore forum to see if anyone else had any ideas on how to do this, or even if it's possible. As most people know, the sound quality of the Boom 6.5 radio is better when the switch is in the ACC position with the engine off. The DSP changes (removes bass) when the switch is on and engine running. HD did this to make the stereo sound better in the show room and to prevent the stock (cheap) speakers from blowing while riding with the volume cranked up, as I understand it. My question is... can the Boom 6.5 HU be tricked in some way to think the bike state is ACC position, engine off, even when the switch is actually on and engine running, thereby providing the "showroom" quality sound while riding? What triggers the HU to switch between the two "bin" files? Can that trigger be disabled?

The following users liked this post:
04ctd (10-31-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 07:25 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,950 Likes on 2,169 Posts

Subscribed

Old 04-19-2017, 07:50 PM
Roadie13
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,005 Likes on 497 Posts

The key is to flatten the signal coming from the HU, not trying to get the same signal as in the accessory position. The bin file trigger can't be turned off, but an aftermarket DSP can be used to totally flatten the signal modification coming from the HU and allow an aftermarket amp to properly do it's job. The 2 most common DSPs also have built in equalizers. Amplifiers simply boost the signal provided to them - a crap signal in = a really loud crap signal out. The idea is to remove the falsely boosted signal, not recreate it.

Old 04-19-2017, 08:15 PM
HogPilot54
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadie13
The key is to flatten the signal coming from the HU, not trying to get the same signal as in the accessory position. The bin file trigger can't be turned off, but an aftermarket DSP can be used to totally flatten the signal modification coming from the HU and allow an aftermarket amp to properly do it's job. The 2 most common DSPs also have built in equalizers. Amplifiers simply boost the signal provided to them - a crap signal in = a really loud crap signal out. The idea is to remove the falsely boosted signal, not recreate it.
Not sure I agree, or even really understand your point as it relates to my original question here. Are you trying to sell an aftermarket DSP? You basically made the same comment in the other forum. I'm not interested in an aftermarket DSP Sir. I LIKE the way my stereo sounds in the ACC position. I don't like the way it sounds with the engine running. Back to my original question...

Last edited by HogPilot54; 04-19-2017 at 08:18 PM.
04ctd (10-31-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 08:43 PM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,698 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I am not certain there is a difference in the run position vs the ACC position.

Try this - put in run 0 don't start the bike. Listen. Put in ACC and listen - to me it sounds the same.

Now put in ACC, listen and next to run and start the bike - sounds different because the bike is running and you have other noise. Just my opinion.

The following 2 users liked this post by cycle7447:
SpringerRider (06-05-2018), Steve Molander (05-30-2018)
Old 04-19-2017, 08:46 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,950 Likes on 2,169 Posts

There's definitely a difference. This has been brought up in the past.

HogPilot54 (04-19-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 09:03 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,176 Posts

I've toyed with the idea a little. The Boombox is getting a signal through the canbus that tells it the engine is running, not just the switch in the run position. There are only 2 wires.... can hi & low. (There are 2 others but they are not involved).

Filter out the signal & the Boombox will be fooled. I've had a couple of ideas, nothing really to speak of yet. I wonder if it might be sensing the voltage... lots more with the engine running.

I'm surprised Iron Cross Audio or the like haven't figured this out yet, maybe they don't know anyone wants it.

And I agree, sounds lots better with the engine off.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click the LINKS below... For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sporsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

HogPilot54 (04-19-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 09:46 PM
Dsm Limited
Received 8,166 Likes on 2,938 Posts

Originally Posted by ROCKOUT Rocker Products
I've toyed with the idea a little. The Boombox is getting a signal through the canbus that tells it the engine is running, not just the switch in the run position. There are only 2 wires.... can hi & low. (There are 2 others but they are not involved).

Filter out the signal & the Boombox will be fooled. I've had a couple of ideas, nothing really to speak of yet. I wonder if it might be sensing the voltage... lots more with the engine running.

I'm surprised Iron Cross Audio or the like haven't figured this out yet, maybe they don't know anyone wants it.

And I agree, sounds lots better with the engine off.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click the LINKS below... For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sporsters
I'm with you on this. I'm sure it is an output from the BCM signaling a voltage change or resistance change. The canbus systems work in millivolts for switching. I've had auto systems where the BCM will switch a + line voltage to a ground. I would bet the right guy could figure it out, I'm just not that guy!

Old 04-19-2017, 10:24 PM
No U Glider
Road Warrior
Received 185 Likes on 167 Posts

I got nothing to add

Old 04-19-2017, 10:50 PM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 157 Posts

Sounds like a good idea to me. I absolutely understand the other solution amps etc. But even if that wouldn't be wonderful just to have the same signal when bike is in ACC or running. Seems like it make tuning a sound system much easier.

HogPilot54 (04-19-2017)

Quick Reply: Tricking the Boom Infotainment for better Sound Quality