Sponsored by:

Wheel bearing life?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 08:01 PM
Northside
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Wheel bearing life?

I just bought a '17 RGS. Since it has ABS I know the wheel bearings are different than bikes without ABS. My old bikes were pre '08 and had 1 inch and 3/4 " wheel bearings. I never had an issue with those. I hear that the new 25m.m. wheel bearings have been a problem, but I hear a lot of stuff that isn't 100% accurate. I'm curious about how many of you guys have had 25 m.m. wheel bearings fail and were they ABS or not. Thanks.

Old 04-19-2017, 08:17 PM
rwven
Road Master
Received 232 Likes on 177 Posts

I had the non ABS front bearing fail within 15K miles. I checked it when I took the rear tire off to be replaced, I'm glad I didn't wait to check it until the front had to be replaced. The dealer only replaced the bad bearing. The ABS bearing failed about 5K later and the new non ABS bearing was feeling a bit rough. Had both replaced under warrantee that time. I just checked it at 25K miles when I upgraded the front suspension and it still feels good.

One key to having the bearings last is to install them carefully. If they aren't mated up to the inner race spacer properly the bearings will have too much side load and they will fail prematurely. Another factor is how well they are lubed when manufactured. It pays to carefully pop the seals off and make sure there is adequate grease in them.

Old 04-19-2017, 08:30 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

Originally Posted by rwven
I had the non ABS front bearing fail within 15K miles. I checked it when I took the rear tire off to be replaced, I'm glad I didn't wait to check it until the front had to be replaced. The dealer only replaced the bad bearing. The ABS bearing failed about 5K later and the new non ABS bearing was feeling a bit rough. Had both replaced under warrantee that time. I just checked it at 25K miles when I upgraded the front suspension and it still feels good.

One key to having the bearings last is to install them carefully. If they aren't mated up to the inner race spacer properly the bearings will have too much side load and they will fail prematurely. Another factor is how well they are lubed when manufactured. It pays to carefully pop the seals off and make sure there is adequate grease in them.
What is the symptom of front wheel bearing failure?

Old 04-19-2017, 08:43 PM
rwven
Road Master
Received 232 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
The first "failure" I didn't notice anything. The second time there were rust stains visible on the wheel hub and I was able to detect a slight whirring noise and a slight buzz in the handlebars.

When I say "failure" I don't mean that they came apart or seized up but they were way out of spec. The second time when I noticed they were bad I was touring up in Canada and I rode another thousand miles or so before I had them replaced. The ABS bearing had about .10" of slop in it by the time I replaced it...that's pretty bad IMO.

Last edited by rwven; 04-19-2017 at 09:06 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:33 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,615 Likes on 5,177 Posts

The only time I ever had to replace one was on my 2013 at about 25K front one warranty.
07 75K and many miles on others never an issue. I still think I may have trashed it by washing with the sprayer .
On the 2013 I heard it. Picture with seal pulled back. It was dry

Attached Thumbnails Wheel bearing life?-100_1828.jpg  
Old 04-20-2017, 06:48 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

I have ditched several. I just change the fronts out when I change tires. When they go you can hear them. Most of the guys I ride with have had them go out around 20k.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:28 AM
plongson
Road Master
Received 326 Likes on 151 Posts

I had the front go way too soon as well...and it was out of warranty (bitch, moan, groan...). It was during a tire change and had to have it done at the dealer. WAY too expensive just for two little chicken **** bearings. Next time it gets close I'm gonna hit Georges Garage or Amazon for a tool and look for better bearings.

IMPO...I think the bearings are just a bit small for this application (FL's all loaded up)...but it is what it is and we are stuck with it unless someone has a machine shop and wants to fab a new front spindle...LOL

Old 04-20-2017, 08:49 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

Cheap third-world-produced junk parts = poor durability and performance. Simple as that!

When mine take a ****, they'll be replaced with quality US-made parts.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:00 AM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,706 Likes on 1,987 Posts

My 2010 front ABS bearings went out at 19,000 miles - while I was 800 miles from home.

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
Sound and feel. It's hard to explain the "feel"; just felt "gritty", or as rwven stated "buzzy". Moreso was the sound - it SOUNDED like a dry bearing while rolling under highway speeds; it also was difficult to isolate where the noise was coming from. Initially, I thought it was coming from the crankcase.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:01 AM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,706 Likes on 1,987 Posts

Originally Posted by jpooch00
Cheap third-world-produced junk parts = poor durability and performance. Simple as that!

When mine take a ****, they'll be replaced with quality US-made parts.
Not picking here but - whose bearings would you use? I have a thread asking that question too.

Quick Reply: Wheel bearing life?