Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

21" Front Wheel Death Wobble....

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 08:00 PM
KaZoo
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 21" Front Wheel Death Wobble....

Hey guys and gals,

I recently had a 21" Colorado Customs Fat Spoke wheel installed front and rear on my 16' FLHTK.....

Yesterday I noticed while decelerating from 45-30MPH if your hands aren't holding the bars, HANG ON FOR THE RIDE...

The wheel was mounted and balanced in California at the manufacture and installed at my dealer...

Any ideas folks???

21" Front Wheel Death Wobble....-18318122_10210734371209808_2039603296_o.jpg

Thanks in advance..

Kevin

Old 05-08-2017, 08:10 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 576 Likes on 417 Posts

Contact Colorado Custom
Phone: 714-441-2498
Fax: 714-441-2598
Email: emails@coloradocustom.com
Address:
1040 S Melrose St. Unit B
Placentia, CA 92870

Old 05-08-2017, 08:14 PM
KaZoo
Advanced

Yeah, just discovered it yesterday, didn't have time today...

Old 05-08-2017, 08:21 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,922 Likes on 17,475 Posts

NEVER trust the balance to be done at the factory on a new wheel always check it before you install.

Old 05-08-2017, 08:24 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,758 Likes on 6,896 Posts

First off you have one SHARP bike! Beautiful

I had a similiar issue with an 08 Street Glide. Went larger on the front but left the stock rear wheel/ tire and stock suspension. It changed the geometry of the bike and handled very strangely. To prove to myself I switched back to the stock front wheel and tire and it was fine. I cannot prove this but the front was taller so the center of gravity changed as did the air flow around the fairing. Just the theory I concluded.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 05-08-2017, 08:30 PM
KaZoo
Advanced

Originally Posted by Cosmic Razorback
First off you have one SHARP bike! Beautiful

I had a similiar issue with an 08 Street Glide. Went larger on the front but left the stock rear wheel/ tire and stock suspension. It changed the geometry of the bike and handled very strangely. To prove to myself I switched back to the stock front wheel and tire and it was fine. I cannot prove this but the front was taller so the center of gravity changed as did the air flow around the fairing. Just the theory I concluded.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Thank you Cosmic,

I appreciate that... I have a buddy with a similar setup with no issues... Someone advised me to have them check the NECK BEARINGS... We will see, I will be getting the dealership to come trailer it back to the garage....

Old 05-08-2017, 08:31 PM
KaZoo
Advanced

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
NEVER trust the balance to be done at the factory on a new wheel always check it before you install.
I would hope so, but true... Thanks!

Old 05-08-2017, 08:43 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Did you just change the front tire/wheel? Or did you put a 21 on the back too?

If the new tire/wheel radius is the same radius are the original, the bike's geometry should stay the same.

If the rear tire/wheel was also changed & the rear tire/wheel radius was increased more than the increase in the front tire/wheel radius, the bike's geometry will be affected. A taller combination in the back will cause a decrease in effective rake & less trail, making the bike less stable going straight & it will turn into a corner quicker.

Same thing happens when taller (13.25") rear shocks are installed on a FLHX w/o changing (increasing) front suspension ride height, resulting is high speed instability.

Hence, my suggestion to talk to Colorado Suspension. They should have recommendations for your set up to resolve the instability issue.

Good Luck!

Old 05-08-2017, 08:49 PM
KaZoo
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hammz
Did you just change the front tire/wheel? Or did you put a 21 on the back too?

If the new tire/wheel radius is the same radius are the original, the bike's geometry should stay the same.

If the rear tire/wheel was also changed & the rear tire/wheel radius was increased more than the increase in the front tire/wheel radius, the bike's geometry will be affected. A taller combination in the back will cause a decrease in effective rake & less trail, making the bike less stable going straight & it will turn into a corner quicker.

Same thing happens when taller (13.25") rear shocks are installed on a FLHX w/o changing (increasing) front suspension ride height, resulting is high speed instability.

Hence, my suggestion to talk to Colorado Suspension. They should have recommendations for your set up to resolve the instability issue.

Good Luck!
21" Front 18" Rear...

This isn't a high speed issue, it's a mid speed, deceleration issue..
45-30MPH....

Old 05-08-2017, 09:08 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Check the fall away. Steering neck & tire/wheel balance would be high on my list of things to check.

Had similar symptoms on my Nightrain (changed from stock laced wheel to Thunder Star). Suspected/checked issues included tire balance & tire wear. Fall away was within spec. New tire & wheel balance didn't fix it. Finally tightened neck bearings to move the fall away to slightly tighter than spec & that fixed it.

Quick Reply: 21" Front Wheel Death Wobble....