Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No "Cat", but still HOT

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 11:01 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

Something else that helps is, turn your side fairing vents open to direct air also, makes a huge difference on the hot days as well.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:28 AM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior
Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Wow, I have a '14 Limited and still have the stock exhaust minus SE slip-ons. I rarely have issues with the heat, even in 100 degree temps. If I am in a lot of stop and go traffic, I just enable EITMS. If at a long stop light, I just hit the kill switch until time to go. The only time I had issues with heat on my right leg was when I was trying to get to my hotel on the Vegas strip and it was 110+ degrees and hit every darn light red.

The twin cooling is so much better than the air cooling on my '13 RGU. On that bike, my right foot was always on the highway peg. On this bike, I can ride on the footboards all day if I want.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:58 AM
GEORGEW
Road Master
Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by tringle
Currently on a road trip and my right side is HOT, especially around my right foot. I've removed the Cat and had my bike tuned. Question- I'm now considering having the dealer install V&H PowerDuals. Will these reduce some of the heat? I'm riding a 16 Limited.

Thanks!
Its the tune,, Give Sheffer Performance a call He's in Evansville In , One of the best around!! You can also find him on Facebook. or Call @ 812-401-8863

Facebook Post

The following users liked this post:
Casper (06-27-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 05:25 PM
crump13
Tourer
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by rwven
The right side is going to be hotter than the left. The exhaust is on that side and the jugs are closer to your legs also. Of course an improper tune might make it run hotter than normal or as was stated above having air management devices like "fangs" may direct hot air where you don't want it. I have the twin-cooled Limited with a completely stock motor running the stock tune and running with the lowers opened it doesn't seem overly hot to me.

By way of comparison I demoed a new Indian Roadmaster and couple weeks ago. Now that's a brutally hot bike in stop and go traffic. The temp that day was only 80F but my inner right calf was actually stinging when I got off the bike after about a 25 minute demo ride with the last 5 minutes in stop and go traffic. I know that's not much consolation if you are uncomfortable but I've heard that misery loves company....
I demoed the Indian Roadmaster in March at Daytona and talk about BRUTAL heat....that is the deal breaker for me. I literally though my skin was boiling on my right leg. I couldn't wait for the ride to be over.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:39 PM
Two Lane Tramp
Road Master
Received 268 Likes on 158 Posts

I have ceramic headers and a PV tuner and I can still feel the heat in traffic. Air cooled motor!! Am thinking of Love Jugs or a fan assist oil cooler. guess the wet head may be my next bike.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:16 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,837 Likes on 1,212 Posts

Originally Posted by tringle
Currently on a road trip and my right side is HOT, especially around my right foot. I've removed the Cat and had my bike tuned. Question- I'm now considering having the dealer install V&H PowerDuals. Will these reduce some of the heat? I'm riding a 16 Limited.

Thanks!
I think air that is directed by the lowers to the engine will exit onto your legs, pushing the hot air there.
I took my lowers off. These new bikes run real hot.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:24 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Two Lane Tramp
I have ceramic headers and a PV tuner and I can still feel the heat in traffic. Air cooled motor!! Am thinking of Love Jugs or a fan assist oil cooler. guess the wet head may be my next bike.
I would opt for an oil cooler. By pushing air on the engine via lower fairings or cooling fans, the air exits as hot air onto your legs.
Fangs also block the air even without the lower fairings, I'm going to experiment with shorter fangs to get more air to me.
I got some relief with a heat barrier on the headers:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/new-r...e-project.html

Old 06-22-2017, 10:58 AM
Two Lane Tramp
Road Master
Received 268 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by OldMike
I would opt for an oil cooler. By pushing air on the engine via lower fairings or cooling fans, the air exits as hot air onto your legs.
Fangs also block the air even without the lower fairings, I'm going to experiment with shorter fangs to get more air to me.
I got some relief with a heat barrier on the headers:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/new-r...e-project.html
I have noticed I run hotter since I installed lower fairings. I am leaning towards the Ultra Cool fan assisted oil cooler. The Love Jugs are just butt ugly

Old 06-22-2017, 11:43 AM
zoozoo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,189 Likes on 7,990 Posts

My 2015 Limited runs way cooler with the cat than my 2010 Ultra did without the cat.

Old 06-22-2017, 12:20 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by zoozoo
My 2015 Limited runs way cooler with the cat than my 2010 Ultra did without the cat.
My brothers 2010 Ultra without cat is a cooler ride than my 2014 SGS.

Quick Reply: No "Cat", but still HOT