Rear Tire

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 03:32 PM
lightweight bob
Road Master
Received 150 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Gone to the Darkside - Michelin Premier A/S

Originally Posted by saafrican

Harley Ultra 2017 17000 miles all the way to Alaska and back to Fort lauderdale on a Michelin 205/55/16 CAT tire . Fully loaded 2 up the bike weighs 1425 lbs pumped tires to 34 psi absolutely no problems . Bike is at the dealer getting service so can't photo the tire , BUT it will easily give me another 15 20000 miles
Its fantastic in the wet , on ALCAN highway gravel and Mid west flat lands
Tnx for the test ride Clive. Ordered one today in the V speed rating - is yours H or V?

Old 08-06-2018, 05:11 PM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,924 Likes on 8,434 Posts

As far as manufacturer recommended tire pressure based on weight of the bike. Are ya supposed to change that pressure for each riding condition. How about for bumpy roads vs, smooth roads. What I'm getting at is; tires are designed to handle a maximum load. For motorcycle tires, that's quite a bit less than car tires. Actually, I still haven't found anything on my tire that says "car tire", so I'll refer to them as flat tread tires, (FTT) like they used to deliver on Harleys up until the mid 1960s. The FTT offers better traction merely by having a bigger contact patch on the ground, yes George, even when leaning into curves because the tire flexes. Some extended service plans will void coverage if a FTT is on the bike, claiming the excessive contact patch is an undue strain on the drive train. They are set up to loose big time by the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. There are a lot more factors than just the tire contact patch on the ground. Total weight of the bike and road condition alone offer such a wide variance and then consider the tire qualities, i.e. 4 years old with cracks or brand new Cobra Night Dragon. The worries about a FTT are unfounded and the engineer warnings of death, dismemberment or serious injury go right along with the threats of alien invasion. Just not happening guys.

The following users liked this post:
lightweight bob (08-06-2018)
Old 08-06-2018, 07:57 PM
Gwaxley
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by EasternSP
As far as manufacturer recommended tire pressure based on weight of the bike. Are ya supposed to change that pressure for each riding condition. How about for bumpy roads vs, smooth roads. What I'm getting at is; tires are designed to handle a maximum load. For motorcycle tires, that's quite a bit less than car tires. Actually, I still haven't found anything on my tire that says "car tire", so I'll refer to them as flat tread tires, (FTT) like they used to deliver on Harleys up until the mid 1960s. The FTT offers better traction merely by having a bigger contact patch on the ground, yes George, even when leaning into curves because the tire flexes. Some extended service plans will void coverage if a FTT is on the bike, claiming the excessive contact patch is an undue strain on the drive train. They are set up to loose big time by the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. There are a lot more factors than just the tire contact patch on the ground. Total weight of the bike and road condition alone offer such a wide variance and then consider the tire qualities, i.e. 4 years old with cracks or brand new Cobra Night Dragon. The worries about a FTT are unfounded and the engineer warnings of death, dismemberment or serious injury go right along with the threats of alien invasion. Just not happening guys.
Well dame I may even try this next goround!