Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 09:06 AM
lopoko9724
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile 2014 RKC compensator

Hi~!
Mine is 2014 rushmore roadking classic(International version),
and installed with SE 110ci stage 3 kit, SE VPC, tuned with PV. now runned 25,000mi.
Some rattling sound was heared in primary from the first time,
But now that sound became like several iron ***** roll in there.
I myself searched similar symtom in this forum and other site,
and concluded that the culprit is damn conpensator.

I ordered baker compensator and it supposed to be delivered 3 weeks later,
and ordered primary gasket, but is there anything to be prepared to change the compensator? (I will keep the stock auto chain adjustor)

And the price for Baker compensator is quite high, 499 USD,
Was it really good job to order the baker's to remove that rattling sound?

Last edited by lopoko9724; 08-30-2017 at 09:12 AM.
Old 08-31-2017, 01:13 AM
hamah
Road Warrior
Received 368 Likes on 279 Posts

When are you getting this noise? I've been told by H-D that the noise you describe is normal when the bike is hot and clutch pulled in. While that does seem to be mainly true in my case I still hate the noise. I've had the comp shimmed out, next I'm going to try different oil (H-D Formula + vs the Syn 3 I currently use). Lastly I'll push for a warranty replacement (I doubt I'll get it). If all else fails I'll likely go the Baker route for both comp and chain adjuster as I just can't stand the rattle (even if I risk any negative impact to my extended warranty).

The following users liked this post:
lopoko9724 (08-31-2017)
Old 08-31-2017, 08:24 AM
lopoko9724
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hamah
When are you getting this noise? I've been told by H-D that the noise you describe is normal when the bike is hot and clutch pulled in. While that does seem to be mainly true in my case I still hate the noise. I've had the comp shimmed out, next I'm going to try different oil (H-D Formula + vs the Syn 3 I currently use). Lastly I'll push for a warranty replacement (I doubt I'll get it). If all else fails I'll likely go the Baker route for both comp and chain adjuster as I just can't stand the rattle (even if I risk any negative impact to my extended warranty).

Mine is over warranty now, (2 year in south korea)
I've used Sys3, Fomular+, Ams oil for primay but there was no chnages. The rattling sounded at very first time and I also told this is normal by HD, but the sound getting louder and now the sound is nearly overwhelming the exaust sound... I really hate this rattle...

Old 09-01-2017, 07:39 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by lopoko9724
Hi~!
Mine is 2014 rushmore roadking classic(International version),
and installed with SE 110ci stage 3 kit, SE VPC, tuned with PV. now runned 25,000mi.
Some rattling sound was heared in primary from the first time,
But now that sound became like several iron ***** roll in there.
I myself searched similar symtom in this forum and other site,
and concluded that the culprit is damn conpensator.

I ordered baker compensator and it supposed to be delivered 3 weeks later,
and ordered primary gasket, but is there anything to be prepared to change the compensator? (I will keep the stock auto chain adjustor)

And the price for Baker compensator is quite high, 499 USD,
Was it really good job to order the baker's to remove that rattling sound?
Excellent call on installing a Baker comp, but that POS auto-adjuster may well be what trashed your original comp due to automatically-over-tightening the chain.

I would STRONGLY recommend going ahead and installing the Baker Attitude Adjuster (manual adjuster) while you have everything apart. I put one in my '15 Limited the day I bought the bike and I couldn't be happier with all the positive changes in shifting, noise, finding neutral when stopped etc. It works exactly as advertised.

No OEM comp issues on my bike yet and I don't anticipate any, either - but if I do end up having a comp problem in the future, a Baker unit will be installed at that time.

Good luck,

JP

Last edited by jpooch00; 09-01-2017 at 07:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Chuck U. Farley (02-23-2019)
Old 09-02-2017, 08:28 AM
lopoko9724
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jpooch00
Excellent call on installing a Baker comp, but that POS auto-adjuster may well be what trashed your original comp due to automatically-over-tightening the chain.

I would STRONGLY recommend going ahead and installing the Baker Attitude Adjuster (manual adjuster) while you have everything apart. I put one in my '15 Limited the day I bought the bike and I couldn't be happier with all the positive changes in shifting, noise, finding neutral when stopped etc. It works exactly as advertised.

No OEM comp issues on my bike yet and I don't anticipate any, either - but if I do end up having a comp problem in the future, a Baker unit will be installed at that time.

Good luck,

JP

Thank you JP...
I should also consider Baker attitude adjuster....

Old 09-02-2017, 09:11 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member

Thank you JP...
I should also consider Baker attitude adjuster....
Just so you know, you DO have to remove the primary cover to check/adjust chain tension, but I only check it every 5000 miles or so and have never had to make an adjustment. Based on that, I'm going to ~10,000 mile intervals in the future.

Best wishes,

JP

Old 09-03-2017, 03:56 AM
lopoko9724
Intermediate

Just so you know, you DO have to remove the primary cover to check/adjust chain tension, but I only check it every 5000 miles or so and have never had to make an adjustment. Based on that, I'm going to ~10,000 mile intervals in the future.

Best wishes,

JP

But recent primary cover doesn't have small inspection hatch, so you should open the primary cover to adjust the chain tension, right?
If you go with older type which have small hatch, then it is very convenient.

Old 09-03-2017, 07:19 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member

But recent primary cover doesn't have small inspection hatch, so you should open the primary cover to adjust the chain tension, right?
If you go with older type which have small hatch, then it is very convenient.
That's correct. It's the only downside to having a manual adjuster, but to me it's more than worth the inconvenience. I don't mind having a little look-see inside the primary once a year or so, anyway, but if somebody made a stock-looking cover with a port, I'd probably buy one. AFAIK, the older models with the port won't fit.

Baker sells a cover with an inspection port, but IMO it's not that great looking and it's way, WAY too pricey.

Last edited by jpooch00; 09-03-2017 at 07:22 AM.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:50 AM
lopoko9724
Intermediate
Thumbs up

That's correct. It's the only downside to having a manual adjuster, but to me it's more than worth the inconvenience. I don't mind having a little look-see inside the primary once a year or so, anyway, but if somebody made a stock-looking cover with a port, I'd probably buy one. AFAIK, the older models with the port won't fit.

Baker sells a cover with an inspection port, but IMO it's not that great looking and it's way, WAY too pricey.

Yes, if HD sells stock looking primary with inspection hatch for TC,
Manual adjuster can be the best....

Old 09-11-2017, 07:07 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member

Yes, if HD sells stock looking primary with inspection hatch for TC,
Manual adjuster can be the best....
Do you have a part # for the cover with a hatch that fits the Rushmores? Seriously, I'll buy one today!!

Thanks,

JP

Quick Reply: 2014 RKC compensator