Sponsored by:

Engine noise on radio

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 09:18 AM
Rob175
Road Warrior
Received 639 Likes on 390 Posts
Default Engine noise on radio

I own a 2015 Ultra Limited with 9,800 miles. Until just the other day my FM boom box radio reception was excellent however, for a reason I can't explain, I'm now getting engine "noise/static" over the radio. It's a constant static that does not change with speed, but really interferrs with station reception. I know it's from the engine because when I turn off the engine the "noise/static" stops and the reception is once again perfect.

So, what can cause engine "noise" to come through the radio? I assume the plugs are resistor plugs but can they go bad?

Could I have a broken or loose ground? (if so where is the ground wire?)

Could it be the alternator?

I am taking the cycle in for its 10,000 mile service tomorrow but I'd sure like to get some possible ideas/solutions from those of you who know more than I do.

Last edited by Rob175; 09-19-2017 at 09:19 AM.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:32 AM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 157 Posts

Check for rubbing spark plug wire front cylinder under gas tank. You can kind of look up there. Known spot for rubbing.

Old 09-19-2017, 02:26 PM
Rob175
Road Warrior

Thanks for the suggestion.....a year ago I wrapped a rubber sleve where it began rubbing so that not the issue now....
I'm wondering where the antenna ground is?....in or under the tour pack?

Last edited by Rob175; 09-19-2017 at 02:28 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:25 AM
Rob175
Road Warrior

FIXED.....I removed the trunk liner to check the ground plate and discovered that the coax antenna cable connector was so loose it was about to come unplugged. The tightening screw collar on the connector was not screwed down and the connector was about to fall off. I doubt that the screw collar loosed by itself...my guess is that it was never tightened proerly at the factory...just a guess. Now it's very tight and I doubt if it will ever losen up again.

Thanks all.....

Old 09-20-2017, 06:56 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob175
FIXED.....I removed the trunk liner to check the ground plate and discovered that the coax antenna cable connector was so loose it was about to come unplugged. The tightening screw collar on the connector was not screwed down and the connector was about to fall off. I doubt that the screw collar loosed by itself...my guess is that it was never tightened proerly at the factory...just a guess. Now it's very tight and I doubt if it will ever losen up again.

Thanks all.....
That's a real blast from the past! I remember how AM car radios would have all kinds of static-noises back in the '50's. My dad would listen to baseball games on trips along with the constant ignition noise that varied with speed and the additional lightning-static during storms (not your issue(s), of course). Drove me nuts back then, now it's a fond memory - go figure.

The advent of FM car radios that were static-free was HUGE when they first came out and they were a pretty pricey option, too!

Damn good catch finding that loose connection, BTW.

Best wishes,

JP

Last edited by jpooch00; 09-20-2017 at 06:57 AM.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:20 AM
tpcowfish
Road Warrior
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

Thanks all.....
Is that a factory, or dealer issue ?, Not sure how they come off the truck, Just curious, and good on you for the fix

Old 09-20-2017, 10:38 AM
Rob175
Road Warrior

Well.......even though the "engine noise" was eliminated after I fixed the connection this morning the radio reception on FM is terrible. 3 days ago all was terrific no engine noise and great reception (and I'm in Chicago where stations are strong)......... but today I have an appointment for the 10,000 service so I'll have them check out the radio issue (several connections, possible software update etc)....... and keep my fingers crossed that I'll get the kind of FM reception I used to get ...... 4 days ago!

Stand by for the results.

Old 09-20-2017, 05:13 PM
Rob175
Road Warrior

FIXED FIXED.....did it myself. Discovered that even though I re-connected the coal connector in the trunk both ends needed a good spray and cleaning with electronic tuner contact cleaner. I'm amazed that a good cleaning was all that needed to be done to make the difference between no reception and great reception once again.

Obviously the dealer didn't know what was wrong. The only checked one connection behind the passenger seat....never checked in the front fairing (which I did) ........ ALL they told me that sometimes reception can be affected by weather, sun spots and dead areas......of course those excuses fell apart after I turned a radio on another bike in their shop.....lol

The following users liked this post:
Knutson Boltz (10-01-2017)
Old 09-21-2017, 06:43 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

FIXED FIXED.....did it myself. Discovered that even though I re-connected the coal connector in the trunk both ends needed a good spray and cleaning with electronic tuner contact cleaner. I'm amazed that a good cleaning was all that needed to be done to make the difference between no reception and great reception once again.

Obviously the dealer didn't know what was wrong. The only checked one connection behind the passenger seat....never checked in the front fairing (which I did) ........ ALL they told me that sometimes reception can be affected by weather, sun spots and dead areas......of course those excuses fell apart after I turned a radio on another bike in their shop.....lol
Surely you're not surprised that a dealer "tech" just came up with excuses and clueless babble when it came to your bike's electronics.

It would be rare for one to figure out and find something as complicated as a dirty connection!!

Last edited by jpooch00; 09-21-2017 at 06:44 AM.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:37 AM
Rob175
Road Warrior

Actually, I was surprised. I've been doing business with that dealership for 4 years and had the impression that they take great care in their shop and do an above average job.....I guess not.

When the service guy began talking about "sun spots" and weather's negative affect on recieveing 50,000 watt local FM radio stations...I remineded him that I'm a commercial pilot and know about weather (not everything but a lot) So I pointed out the current "blue sky" day and that there was no notification from any weather reporting body of "sun spots".

Anyway something good did come out out this experience.....I now know how to remove and install the front fairing......lol......

Quick Reply: Engine noise on radio