Sponsored by:

P1019 code, along with CEL and high temp light

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 01:49 PM
rparnel1
Tourer
Received 150 Likes on 59 Posts
Default P1019 code, along with CEL and high temp light

14,500 miles on 2015 limited and got a CEL and high temp light during middle of 10 day ride in Maggie Valley. Came on within a 1/4 mile, after leaving from a stop at a convenience store in Trust, N.C. Pulled over and checked things out. Rad fluid good, oil level good, connectors tight, bike still running good. Made my way to Asheville to the dealership, with several stops and engine off in between. CEL would clear during restart and then come in after a 1/4 mile or so. Even did this after a 2 hour cool down.

At dealership, Tech took all of 20 seconds to decide it was the coolant pump (P1019 code) and said he didn't have one in stock. Now, keep in mind, the fans never came on during this time and bike never "felt" overheated. No pinging at all. Told me to continue riding it; just don't idle or get in stop/go traffic. Told me the fans don't run if pump don't run, which I found out later was crap. Pump runs all the time engine is running and fans cycle on/off based on coolant temperature

So, about 100 miles later, I stop for gas and when I restart, the CEL is gone, overtemp light is gone and fans are running. Never came in again during the next few hundred miles.

I'm thinking the coolant pump is fine, the fans are fine and the problem is either the ETC sensor or a bad connection somewhere. These intermittent faults are a bitch to find sometimes.

My questions are:
1. anybody had similar scenarios?
2. is there a separate temp switch for the fans or is it a software function driven by the ETC sensor.

Old 10-03-2017, 06:06 PM
Boatman
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had P1019 code on my 14 Limited with around 15K miles and had the same 2 lights come on. Took water pump cover off, ignition on, rotated to 1/2 throttle and both cooling fans and water pump came on-took w/pump cover off so I could feel it run. Got my electrical diagnostic manual out and said to replace the ECT switch in primary side radiator and all has been well (have 23K miles now)-knock wood. I did not drain coolant as you lose virtually no coolant. The radiator has a hex on it where the switch screws in so you have to hold that part of the radiator with another wrench to break the switch loose. FWIW..

Old 10-03-2017, 08:41 PM
pswomack
Road Master
Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts

Mine did the same thing CEL P1019 and over temp light, I could make the pump/fans run, CEL/Temp light intermittently would come on, stop and cool it off and lights would stay out for 50-60 miles, next day a different story, lights stayed on and fans would run, but the pump would not, 13,900 miles on 2016 Limited, took to the Dealer and they replaced pump/thermostat/ECT sensor under warranty, they let me keep the old pump, took the old pump apart and the solder joints for the wiring were broken, I fixed the pump and it works like new, so I have a back up now. Don't count on it not being the pump, if it's under warranty go ahead and let them replace it. JMHO

Old 10-09-2017, 07:34 AM
rparnel1
Tourer
Received 150 Likes on 59 Posts

CEL and overtemp light came back in during short run around town. Could force fans on, but airflow has no heat to it. Rad hoses cool to touch.

Took it to dealer, who is replacing the coolant pump under extended warranty.

Old 12-06-2017, 06:42 PM
rharbick
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I’ve posted in several other strings about the same problem occurring on my 2016 TriGride with less than 1400 miles on the Odometer. Since the problem started I have had to take it to a dealership at least three times so far. The first time they couldn’t get the lights to come on again so couldn’t replace anything under warranty, but the lights came on within a mile after I left. So I turned around and left it with them. They replaced the Thermostat that time. Didn’t fix it so now they have it again. They were going to try to replace the pump under warranty, while I was going to pay for the two sensors to be replaced on my own dime (thereby pretty much getting rid of the last two things that could be the problem). But when they called Harley they refused to replace the pump under warranty, instead wanting to replace the sensors under warranty. Ok, so Harley is paying for the sensors. When I get it back the problem will either be fixed, or, when the lights come on I will take it back and Harley can then replace the pump ON THEIR DIME! (It’s not the dealerships fault - the guys I work with have been nothing but great.) I do know this, I’m only 1 or 2 visits away from looking at the state’s Lemon Law and returning the trike to the dealership I bought it from and demanding a full refund. I haven’t been able to enjoy a single ride this entire spring and summer.

Last edited by rharbick; 12-06-2017 at 06:44 PM.
Old 12-08-2017, 01:04 AM
jammerx
Stellar HDF Member
Received 327 Likes on 221 Posts

I had the CEL and OT light, had the water pump replaced under warranty. Out of the blue the CEL and OT light came (it also threw a code) on again, and then it went out after I rode it to the Harley shop. I ordered a new sensor, and the light has not come on again since. The sensor is in my tour pack. LOL!

Last edited by jammerx; 12-08-2017 at 01:07 AM.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:50 AM
abbysdad2006
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, update on my issue, it's been doing it off and on for a while and I tried something last night. When I noticed the Batt/CEL light come on I shut the bike off(after pulling over) and waited about 5 seconds and started it back up. Lights never came back on the rest of the trip home which was about 20 miles. I'm thinking I'll need another voltage regulator eventually.

Old 06-25-2019, 11:53 AM
rwven
Road Master
Received 232 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by rparnel1
CEL and overtemp light came back in during short run around town. Could force fans on, but airflow has no heat to it. Rad hoses cool to touch.

Took it to dealer, who is replacing the coolant pump under extended warranty.
With those symptoms it could have been a stuck thermostat also. Hopefully they installed the upgraded pump.

Last edited by rwven; 06-25-2019 at 11:54 AM.
Old 06-25-2019, 05:41 PM
Oko
Supporter
Received 3,833 Likes on 1,444 Posts

I just went through this. My bet is you need a new, upgraded water pump.

Old 07-13-2020, 12:19 AM
Freezinnd
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is an old post, but, having the same problems with my 2015 Ultra Limited Low. Took it to the dealership, they had to order the sensor took about three weeks to get it back from them. Rode fine to work and back about 136 miles, next day 8 minutes into the same trip lights came back on. Took it back to dealership, they called me later that day and told me it was working again, coolant level was low. Got it back did the same ride to work and back everything fine. Next day, same old song, lights came one about 8 minutes into a ride. Dealership currently has it again.