Sponsored by:

High Vis upgrade mission complete

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 08:50 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts
Default High Vis upgrade mission complete

Love Custom Dynamics stuff. Wanted more rear vis then the two puny bullets and fender tip. Was originally going to add Custom Dynamics Plasma Rods, but decided to go a different direction. The Rods are extremely cool, with their smooth color, but I felt I wanted more "surface area".

Started with the standard 2-way inserts in the bullets.

Added the Flatz on the rear fender fascia. (those without the fascia use their "Fillerz") Simple 3M VHB tape install. Important to get the alignment right, especially if you have OCD tendencies as I do. Had to remove the left one with fishing line because of the probably half degree cant that most normal people wouldn't even notice. Ended up making three fingers bleed from rolling off all the stuck on 3M tape, but eventual success.

Wanted a little more, so I hinted to the girl that the BCM Bagz would be a great birthday gift. And because she's the best girl in the world, there they were! Those were a piece of cake to install, as the designs makes them pretty much impossible to misalign. The Bagz also come with a nice harness that plugs inline with the rear light connector next to the ECM and plugs going to the Bagz with quick disconnects for then the saddlebags need to come off.

I ended up patching in both the Flatz and the Bagz to the same connector that plugs into that harness, using red adhesive lined heat shrink butt connectors. Colors all matched, so again, cake.

Last and probably the least beneficial add on was the CD tri-bar LED that replaces the always on stock LED fender tip. The CD one acts as run/brake. While on run, its actually not as bright as the stock LED's, but on brake it lights up nicely. This was two disconnects and two screws. The biggest PITA was laying on the ground of the filthy shared underground garage spot where I park (Condo) since my J&S jack didnt go quite high enough.

All in all though, it was probably an hour and a half's work.

Hopefully it'll prevent a rear end from the driver drinking coffee while texting and putting on makeup approaching that red light...

Very happy.

The following users liked this post:
04ctd (10-23-2017)
Old 10-21-2017, 09:19 AM
82ndJumper
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

That will get there attention. Look good.

Old 10-21-2017, 10:47 AM
HarleyBP
Road Master
Received 101 Likes on 93 Posts

Looks great. One final consideration might be to get a brake flasher from CD. I have one, and my riding buddies say that, while the CD lighting is much brighter, the biggest attention grabber is the flashing pattern while braking.

The following users liked this post:
Cosmic Razorback (10-22-2017)
Old 10-21-2017, 09:14 PM
snafu
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

It turned out nice. Great job!

Old 10-21-2017, 09:18 PM
Oko
Supporter
Received 3,834 Likes on 1,445 Posts

Plus one on the brake flasher. I'll go so far as to suggest a headlight modulator for the front. Best to be seen from all angles!

Old 10-22-2017, 04:24 PM
AFSOC_Commando
Tourer
Received 134 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Oko
Plus one on the brake flasher. I'll go so far as to suggest a headlight modulator for the front. Best to be seen from all angles!

I have both, people move over to let me pass all the time...

And cars stay way back if I flash the brake lights! I have the same setup as the OP on my Ultra Limited and I can see the running/brake lights in my mirrors reflecting off things at night!

Old 10-22-2017, 05:03 PM
dave the welder
Road Captain
Received 167 Likes on 124 Posts

The rear end of your bike is so bright, I gotta wear shades! Nice job.

Old 10-22-2017, 06:43 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,758 Likes on 6,896 Posts

Originally Posted by HarleyBP
Looks great. One final consideration might be to get a brake flasher from CD. I have one, and my riding buddies say that, while the CD lighting is much brighter, the biggest attention grabber is the flashing pattern while braking.
I second that!

Looks great, ride safe.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:00 AM
CanonSterVA
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Looks great.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:14 AM
B3vis
Cruiser
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

After having a near (very near) miss from being rear ended...I lit my whole rear up with CD. Began with the bullet replacement and tri bar. then added the Dual color Plasma rods. have a brake flasher too. I'm told that when I hit the brakes, and they go into the set pattern it gets your attention quick. This past weekend, I picked up some of the Bag lights in Daytona.

Quick Reply: High Vis upgrade mission complete