Sponsored by:

Noisy Primary after fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 12:04 AM
FL-FLSTC
Intermediate
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Noisy Primary after fluid change

As the title says, I just changed the fluids in all 3 holes. Amsoil in the motor, Redline heavy shockproof in the transmission, and Redline V twin primary fluid. After the change, the primary is very noisy. It is most noticeable when idling in neutral on the sidestand. Not sure if the sound is coming from the compensator or the chain, it sounds like a metallic rattling sound. The sound does not change if I pull in the clutch lever, so I am kind of ruling out the clutch at this point. It was very quiet until I changed the fluid about 25 miles ago. I put the recommended 38 oz of fluid back in it. Bike is a mechanically stock 2015 SGS with about 6500 miles on it. I am the second owner, and have only had it for a little over 3 months. I bought it from a dealer, and don't have the service history.

The fluid that I drained out of the primary when I changed it was a little dirty, and there was a small amount of metallic dust on the magnetic drain plug, but nothing unusual. And the primary was very quiet until I put the Redline in it. At this point, I am probably going to drain the Redline out of the primary and put something else back in it. I don't think the primary fluid had ever been changed, as it is a low mileage bike. It probably had whatever they put in it at the factory. Hopefully, the noise will go away after I change to another type of fluid.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had the same experience with the Redline Primary Fluid? I had always heard how good it is, and am just a bit surprised by this.

The following users liked this post:
nytryder (02-20-2018)
Old 02-18-2018, 03:41 AM
Sedow Alexander
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! Try FORMULA+.
In a manual for SG of 2015 38 oz are written, but in a manual of 2016 for the same SG 32 oz are written. I don't understand where the truth. Maybe you have filled in more oil than it is necessary.

Old 02-18-2018, 04:45 AM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

When the Rushmore bikes came out they changed the compensator design. I was a avid user of synthetics in the Primary. Around 4000 miles I started getting loud mechanical noises in the primary particularly at idle. Happened to have some Formula + in the garage. Swapped the syn for the formula and the noises went away immediately. I suggest you try it.

The following users liked this post:
FL-FLSTC (02-18-2018)
Old 02-18-2018, 06:01 AM
pkwett94
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Formula+ is what I ended up using in my 2014 Ultra Limited. Tried several different brands of synthetics and found that F+ worked the best, and I put 50,000 miles on it.

Old 02-18-2018, 06:23 AM
H-D_Doug
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Use Formula + and the noise will go away

Old 02-18-2018, 06:51 AM
jamesroadking
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

I use Valvoline motorcycle oil 20-50 weight it's M/C Wet Clutch Specific. Because it's pretty inexpensive at $4 a quart at WM I change my primary every 3k miles. I'm always surprised to see how much crap is stuck to the magnetic drain plug at 3k miles there's no way I run it another 2k miles with all that crap still stuck to the magnetic plug I see coming out of my primary. To prove my point, My 2010 still has my original stock compensator in it. I think a lot of these compensator failures are do to the 5000 or more mile oil change intervals and also I've been told by a Harley mechanic that he only puts in one quart, not 38 oz's. When you guys take it to the dealer are they charging you for one quart or two for the primary oil? I believe the Formula+ comes in a 32 oz container, If their only charging you for one they are not putting in the 38 ozs that's called for.

Old 02-18-2018, 08:10 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,837 Likes on 1,212 Posts

I think starting with Rushmore bikes the SE compensator is used and likes Harley Formula+ oil.

PS: I fill all 3 oils to a level to avoid conflicting ideas about how many Oz's to use.

Last edited by OldMike; 02-18-2018 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Level
Old 02-18-2018, 08:43 AM
Harttoo
Road Master

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts

Use Formula plus or Your compensator will sound Like "a bucket of bolts" at hot idle.

Old 02-18-2018, 08:45 AM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Certainly don’t want to start an oil debate but I’m using Mobil 1 V-Twin 20-50 in the primary on my ‘16 RGS and don’t hear anything unusual at all. Maybe it’s because it’s low mileage (around 8k) but if the noises start, I’ll be sure to try the F+.

Any idea why the difference and what’s actually rattling in there?

Old 02-18-2018, 09:23 AM
peddler
Club Member
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

At the 1,000 mi check up on my 2016 Ultra Limited I mistakenly took the advice of the "new" service manager at the dealer and had the primary fluid changed to synthetic. Almost immediately the primary got very noisy at idle. A few hundred miles later I was told by a Harley mechanic friend there was nothing wrong with my primary and changing the fluid back to Formula+ would eliminate the noise. I knew a fluid change couldn't make that much of a difference. HAHAHA. Wrong again. I changed back to Formula+. The noise immediately went away. 5,000 miles later the primary is as quiet as the day I took delivery and the "new" service manager has moved on to his next job. Progress.

Quick Reply: Noisy Primary after fluid change