Sponsored by:

Is there a secret to this??

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 03:05 PM
dave the welder
Road Captain
Received 167 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Screamin beagle
You can get a plastic tray from the dealer...insert groan and eye roll here...that slides up under the filter and if you're careful will catch most of the oil. I loosen my filter first then stick that tray under and add some paper towels under it near the filter to catch any oil...works pretty good
I use this, once its in position take a sharp awl or punch or drill. And make a hole at the bottom of the filter. The filter will drain out in a couple of minutes and it will be no mess.

Old 06-23-2018, 05:38 PM
GoodToBeTheKing
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't waste your money on that orange thing sold by Harley. It doesn't go far enough under the oil filter and the rubber tube doesn't stay attached. Get a sheet of stiff cardboard or plastic and slide it under the oil filter, be sure to push it far enough back to catch the oil when you loosen the oil filter. Make it long enough to extend past the floor board, so the oil that it catches can drip into a pan.

Old 06-23-2018, 06:11 PM
Highwaymans
Road Warrior
Received 493 Likes on 331 Posts

Ive tried everything. Poke a hole, blow air thru it, towels, aluminum foil, the goofy harley thing...... It doesnt work.....

What did on my Dyna and Bagger? DK filter relocate. Otherwise rag it best u can and get some cans of brake clean for clean up.

Old 06-24-2018, 05:42 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Gear oil bottle; the oil and filter drop right in. I've been thinking of painting them orange and black and selling them for $49.99

Old 06-24-2018, 08:15 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,451 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by dave the welder
I use this, once its in position take a sharp awl or punch or drill. And make a hole at the bottom of the filter. The filter will drain out in a couple of minutes and it will be no mess.
What's wrong with putting a plastic grocery bag over the filter....loosen it...then let in fall in the grocery bag. No spill, and the filter is in the bag and can be dumped into the garbage can.

Old 06-24-2018, 08:18 AM
barneyboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,627 Likes on 1,532 Posts

All of the above suggestions will reduce, or eliminate the mess. If you go the homemade route, the best time to "tweak" your funnel is after you remove the filter. Without the filter in the way, you can see what will work best for your bike. A little trimming, and test fitting will result in a near perfect fit for future use.

Old 06-24-2018, 09:38 AM
Mickeetwo
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have found the rag method works the best for me. I've tried all the others and I still make a mess.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:10 AM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,687 Likes on 826 Posts

I found if you do this at your buddy's garage, you won't make a mess on your floor, LOL

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (06-28-2018)
Old 06-27-2018, 08:19 AM
DamifIknow
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Screamin beagle
You can get a plastic tray from the dealer...insert groan and eye roll here...that slides up under the filter and if you're careful will catch most of the oil. I loosen my filter first then stick that tray under and add some paper towels under it near the filter to catch any oil...works pretty good
I make a new one of these from a piece of cardboard every time I change oil.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:21 AM
DamifIknow
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by GoodToBeTheKing
Don't waste your money on that orange thing sold by Harley. It doesn't go far enough under the oil filter and the rubber tube doesn't stay attached. Get a sheet of stiff cardboard or plastic and slide it under the oil filter, be sure to push it far enough back to catch the oil when you loosen the oil filter. Make it long enough to extend past the floor board, so the oil that it catches can drip into a pan.
exactly this^^^^^

Quick Reply: Is there a secret to this??