2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has installed an LED headlight on a 2018 Road King??

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 08:50 PM
Gizmo83
Road Master
Received 459 Likes on 265 Posts
Default Who has installed an LED headlight on a 2018 Road King??

I'm at my wits end here with trying to upgrade the front lighting on my RK to LED. Here's where I'm at:

Researched and researched some more and ended up wanting a Hogworkz Halo 7" headlight and matching passing lamps. Called my dealership up wanting the Hogworkz because they sell me parts at a discount. Parts guy convinced me to go with a Pathfinder brand which he swears is the same light. Fine. He ordered the light and passing lamps and the harness he thought I would need. (H4 to LED). Something like this-- https://hogworkz.com/wire-harness-ad....html?___SID=U

Lights come in and he ships them out to me (dealership is 130 miles one way). I open the boxes up, get everything ready to install, remove the factory headlight and scratch my head at the harness situation. This bike does not have the same plug in as all the others I've seen on YouTube videos. It has two separate plugs-- one for high beam and one for low beam. Fine, I'll just find where the other end of the harness goes, unplug the whole thing and use the H4 harness he sent. No dice. The other end of the harness disappears under the tank. Not interested in all that.

Call him up, he apologizes and says he'll get to the bottom of it. In the meantime, I get impatient and find a harness from Hogworkz that looks like it will work. I ordered this one -- https://hogworkz.com/wire-harness-ro....html?___SID=U

The new harness came in the mail today. Still no dice. It will light, but the halo DRL does not illuminate and the brights don't work.

I don't understand why this is not plug and play like the others. What does the dealership do if a customer comes in and says they want a new RK but set it up with the Daymaker setup? They're not trying to sell me on the Daymakers, either. In fact, he's said a couple times now that he doesn't think the HD option is worth the extra money.

Old 09-20-2018, 10:38 PM
SWMB
Road Warrior
Received 776 Likes on 499 Posts

On my 2017 Road King when I put LED headlights in I bought an adapter from Dennis Kirk I believe the part number was CDTB- H42H9H1. It's a custom dynamics part but I know HOg Workz makes the same adapter. It made it just plug and play.

Old 09-21-2018, 09:34 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

I used the CD harness on my SG that was set up the same way. It works fine.

Old 09-22-2018, 07:33 AM
dwl25
Tourer
Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

Sounds like my '14 and you're right , no dice.

When I did mine I could only find one place for the adapter and it worked great.

http://innovativewiring.com/?page_id=4464

Go down the page about 3/4s way to the adapter H8/H11 lo and H8/H11 hi to H4. It worked great for me. Also no affiliation.

The dealer wanted me to cut and splice wires and I just looked at the guy like he was nuts cause to me he was. There was no way I was doing that to a new bike.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Old 10-10-2018, 09:25 AM
Gizmo83
Road Master
Received 459 Likes on 265 Posts

Alright, I've got the headlight and passing lamps installed. They work, but not correctly. I settled on the Pathfinder halo LED and aux lamps with a Hogworkz H4 to H9/H11 harness (forgive me if the numbers are off on those). Here's the story:

Had the bike at the dealership for the 1000 mile service. They agreed to install the lights at no charge. Got them wired up and after the service was finished, I made sure everything lit up before I hit the road back home and assumed everything was good. The service manager mentioned they were wired so that when the high beams were on, everything would remain illuminated including the passing lamps. Sounds good.

Once I got home and was able to take a closer look at the light, I noticed something that seemed off. On normal operation and on the low beam setting, the passing lamps, halo and main light were illuminated, which seems normal. What did NOT seem normal and which took me a while to realize was that the low beam was coming through the BOTTOM of the two main projectors. I was pretty sure the low beam was supposed to be the top and the high beam would come through the bottom projector.

Got ahold of the manufacturer and they agreed, it looked like the H9 and H11 plugs were simply switched around. Should be an easy fix. Just go in and switch them . When I did, the high beam AND low beam are now illuminated at all times, along with the halo and aux lamps. Everything is on. I want to be able to run low beams as normal, and switch to high beam when needed (which I was told would turn on high beam and leave the aux lamps illuminated as I mentioned earlier).

The manufacturer suggested I try switching the high and low beam pins on the H4 harness. So I switched the high beam and low beam locations on the H4 harness and plugged it back in. No dice. I can't remember now if it was both illuminated or still the lower projector on low beam setting. Doesn't matter, still didn't seem right so I didn't pay much attention I guess.

I can't imagine it should be this difficult to put a damn LED headlight on a Road King. They're wanting me to get a 12v battery now and test the light. Don't have one and not really interested in troubleshooting. Starting to wonder if I shouldn't have just dropped the coin on the Daymakers.

Old 01-23-2019, 12:38 AM
Grampz55
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just did this last weekend. J.W. Speaker Daymaker.
From what i've read they make the Harley Daymaker just rebranded for Harley. You do need an adapter for the RK.

Old 01-23-2019, 02:01 PM
Sedonastrider
Tourer
Received 63 Likes on 36 Posts

Damn. That’s why the HD brand costs more maybe?!

Like Grampz55, I did daymaker headlight & passing lights. 2015 RK with the H4 plugs and I bought HD harness with no isssues. I even did my conversion with the only tools I had at the time. A leatherman, screwdriver and an Allen wrench. I thought that was a bear, but you’ve got a can I worms...

Call the dealership to have their techs to fix it. You need a test light and maybe some other electrical test equipment to square this away

Just my thoughts

Hope you get it all squared away ASAP and get riding

Last edited by Sedonastrider; 01-23-2019 at 02:03 PM.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:38 PM
Grampz55
Intermediate

First I forgot to mention Bike and year. 2016 Road King. Second no need to buy the Harley adapter and strip and splice, Hogworkz makes one for 20 bucks shipped free from their sight. Had to do some trial and error to make sure both high and low beam connected right, but it worked just fine. tip: after every connection that doesn't work shut the ignition off and retry it.

Old 01-23-2019, 11:43 PM
Grampz55
Intermediate

This adapter.
https://hogworkz.com/wire-harness-ro...oaAjTnEALw_wcB

Take a minute and read the reviews, it does plug in both ways on split side. A bit of a Rubics cube, but like I said turn off the Ignition then back on after every time it doesn't light right. It does work.

Last edited by Grampz55; 01-24-2019 at 12:08 AM.