Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

14 Roadking Winter Project started...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 07:27 AM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,682 Likes on 825 Posts
Default 14 Roadking Winter Project started...

Finally got started on my upgrades for my RK. The goal is to paint the bike Starlight Black metallic, and do a Stage 4 upgrade. One of the issues is the Arlen Ness Rear Facia I installed on my Street Glide rear fender. I purchased it from ebay from a guy that bought it new ($179) and tried to paint it himself. Didn't come out very good so he tried to sand/strip it and made it worse. Finally, frustrated, he ordered a new one and put this one on ebay. After purchase, he realized that he could have just taken this to a painter instead of ordering a new one and give that to his painter. Oh well. I ended up paying $60.

So, I sanded it down, and painted it, but didn't come out like I wanted and the lower end vibrated and some cracks started showing up in the inside corners. So I tried to JB Weld it and it seemed to work until I backed into a high curb and cracked the JB weld.

So to start my project, I took it off and made a brace for it. After finished, I will install and paint it with the rear fender. See attached photos (I used to be able to post multiple photos but since a few months ago , what ever changes were made here , I can't figure it out. so oh well, here they are...

Old 12-11-2018, 07:27 AM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member

Here is the cracked area

Old 12-11-2018, 07:28 AM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member

sanded and cleaned up the area with a whiz wheel

Old 12-11-2018, 07:30 AM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member

Bought a piece of angle aluminum from Lowes for $4, cut and bent to fit the facia

Old 12-11-2018, 07:31 AM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member

I use this stuff for lots of repairs.

Old 12-11-2018, 07:34 AM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member

mixed up some weld and applied. I will mix up some more to strengthen the part. After it dried, I could really tell it made the facia a lot stronger. If Ness is going to sell these for $180, they should have the lower section strengthened. Once I am happy with the brace being secured, will go ahead and sand it and re-primer it and block it out to get it smooth as possible.

Old 12-12-2018, 03:40 PM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member

Battling life's little dingers they throw at me. GF car got a flat at night, shredded the tire, found a driveway to change and put on the donut. it was low, added fix a flat, got some pressure, mile down the road, shredded that one. Pulled into gas station and called USAA tow. Boss picked up GF and got her home. Marathon station had 16 oz bud light for $115. Pay $3.50 at bowling on Mondays for same. After 4 beers, truck arrived , towed home. Found a guy with 4 tires in good shape plus had an extra Sebring rim. Free. $75 for the tires. Got them fixed. Son arrived from Indiana for the weekend. Went to play cards, on way back brake pedal went to floor.. No brake fluid in reservoir. Added fluid, doesn't leak on driveway. Leaking from back of master into booster? We will see. Got some beer to watch TV and shoot the ****. Decided to have him help me lower the TV. It has a blank spot up one side. Gonna try to move the ribbon around to see if I can get the pixels back. Now TV won't turn on. Tossing the 55 and went to Best Buy and got a Sharp 65" for $599 and 18 mos free financing. Get home and wall bracket bolts are too big. Dig into my 20 year bin, found 4 perfect screws. Now watching tv. Next day, GF said the washing machine isn't spinning. Check it out and belt fell off. Pulley came loose. Last year same thing and pulley came loose and was grinding the teeth. Ordered a new one for $8 but had to fix the other for temporary. Shaved a few mm off the center to move the teeth together and it been working fine till then. Told son, "what are the chances I have this pulley?" He said knowing you, most likely. Went right to the drawer and found the new pulley and installed. All better but no work on the bike all week. LOL. This morning, the furnace acting up. Flame sensor needs cleaned again with scotchbrite.

Old 12-12-2018, 06:52 PM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,006 Likes on 1,999 Posts

After you paid 460 bucks for the 4 buds I bet you're glad you found some cheap tires huh? Lol...Just kidding...ive had weeks like that not just days. Hey and just a tip for your bracket there, if you fill in those corners with something it will make it alot stronger too...maybe use a cut off piece of the angle. Good luck with the bike

Last edited by Screamin beagle; 12-12-2018 at 06:54 PM. Reason: More info
Old 12-12-2018, 07:00 PM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 796 Likes on 623 Posts

Seven posts in a row by an OP has to be some kind of record.

Old 12-13-2018, 07:35 AM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by hbsoldier3
Seven posts in a row by an OP has to be some kind of record.
I told you I can't figure out how to post multiple pics in one post. Since they changed the format it doesn't work for me. I took the time to add them all and when I uploaded them, they disappeared. So, I hold another record huh? LOL

Quick Reply: 14 Roadking Winter Project started...