2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Premium Adjustable Shock Part Numbering ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 08:14 AM
greatcrimson
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Premium Adjustable Shock Part Numbering ?

I’ve searched around the forum and couldn’t find the answer to a question I have, so I’m posting here hoping someone might be able to help.

I’m looking to change the stock shocks on my 14 Ultra Limited to the HD Premium Adjustable shocks, mainly to get lower in a cost-effective manner. I’m 5”7” and I already replaced the seat with a low Mustang seat, but that didn’t help much for getting my feet planted on the ground. So, I’m going from a standard 13” shock to a 12” shock. I’ve read all the pros and cons and I’ve also looked at other lowering options, but this seems to be the easiest, safest and best solution for me.

As I look at the Harley Part numbers for the HD Premium Adjustable Shocks, what I see is that the current part numbering is as follows: Part Number 54000091 is basically a bundle that consists of two parts, 54000081 and 54000082. The last two numbers represent the actual part number on the shocks.

What I’m not clear on is that there are also similar shocks numbered 54000096 and 54000114 on some of the shocks I’ve seen and I’m not clear what the difference is between these shocks and the “81 & 82” parts above.

Does anyone know the answer to that question? Are they just newer/older part numbers for the same shocks? Are the completely different shocks?

Appreciate any help. Thanks

Old 06-24-2019, 08:36 AM
rwven
Road Master
Received 232 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by greatcrimson
I’ve searched around the forum and couldn’t find the answer to a question I have, so I’m posting here hoping someone might be able to help.

I’m looking to change the stock shocks on my 14 Ultra Limited to the HD Premium Adjustable shocks, mainly to get lower in a cost-effective manner. I’m 5”7” and I already replaced the seat with a low Mustang seat, but that didn’t help much for getting my feet planted on the ground. So, I’m going from a standard 13” shock to a 12” shock. I’ve read all the pros and cons and I’ve also looked at other lowering options, but this seems to be the easiest, safest and best solution for me.

As I look at the Harley Part numbers for the HD Premium Adjustable Shocks, what I see is that the current part numbering is as follows: Part Number 54000091 is basically a bundle that consists of two parts, 54000081 and 54000082. The last two numbers represent the actual part number on the shocks.

What I’m not clear on is that there are also similar shocks numbered 54000096 and 54000114 on some of the shocks I’ve seen and I’m not clear what the difference is between these shocks and the “81 & 82” parts above.

Does anyone know the answer to that question? Are they just newer/older part numbers for the same shocks? Are the completely different shocks?

Sounds like you've already made your decision but I think you'll end up with a better result going with Progressives 944 series shocks. They lower the rear 1" without sacrificing suspension travel which is important for maintaining ride quality. They are also priced similarly I believe. The 944s are $80 to $100 bucks more I think.

The following users liked this post:
greatcrimson (06-24-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 08:37 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,950 Likes on 2,169 Posts

I believe the first set you list are standard height (13") and the second set you list are low profile (12"). I see you found the low profile set in the Classifieds.

Old 06-24-2019, 08:48 AM
greatcrimson
Advanced

Thanks Rwven, I did look at the 944's, but I wasn't sure if the additional cost was worth it. The Progressive's I think I would need are the 13" Standard shocks, part number 944-4002UT's, I'm 185 and the wife is about 150 so I think the Heavy Duty version might be too harsh. Unfortunately I have not come across a set of the standards on the used market, and $760 for new is not possible at this time.

Old 06-24-2019, 08:54 AM
rwven
Road Master

Thanks Rwven, I did look at the 944's, but I wasn't sure if the additional cost was worth it. The Progressive's I think I would need are the 13" Standard shocks, part number 944-4002UT's, I'm 185 and the wife is about 150 so I think the Heavy Duty version might be too harsh. Unfortunately I have not come across a set of the standards on the used market, and $760 for new is not possible at this time.
If you can find a pair of 944s with the HD springs it's an easy job to change them out for the standard springs. The downside being that Progressive charges about $150 for a set of springs so the used shocks would have to be very cheap. I have the 444s on my bike and I found the HD springs to not be heavy enough so I swapped them out for the SD (Super Duty) springs which are about as good as you can get riding 2 up. I'm a bit porkier than you at 245 and my wife's in the 150 range also.

Old 06-24-2019, 09:02 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,950 Likes on 2,169 Posts

I don't think the Progressive 13" standard shocks are going to lower the bike, are they?

You can pick up a pair of 12" OEM premium hand adjustable shocks for around $400 from Surdyke.

http://www.surdyke.com/PartsMain.asp...Name=&CatName= $148.16
http://www.surdyke.com/PartsMain.asp...Name=&CatName= $255.76

Old 06-24-2019, 09:17 AM
rwven
Road Master

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
I don't think the Progressive 13" standard shocks are going to lower the bike, are they?

You can pick up a pair of 12" OEM premium hand adjustable shocks for around $400 from Surdyke.

http://www.surdyke.com/PartsMain.asp...Name=&CatName= $148.16
http://www.surdyke.com/PartsMain.asp...Name=&CatName= $255.76
Yes the 13" 944s lower the ride height approx. 1" to roughly the same as the lowered HD suspension on the Street Glides. I think Progressive markets them as 13" because they maintain the same suspension travel as the stock 13" shocks (3" travel). The HD Premium Adjustable lowered shocks only have 2" of travel.

Old 06-24-2019, 10:47 AM
barneyboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,627 Likes on 1,532 Posts

The part numbers changed beginning with the 2017 models. The spring length on the right shock changed. Not sure what physical changes were made to the left shock, but the preload tables in the 2017 & later Owner's manuals differ from the 2016 & earlier Owner's manuals.

2017 & later.

2016 & earlier.

Old 06-24-2019, 10:59 AM
greatcrimson
Advanced

Wow, great information - Thanks barneyboy! That answers my question exactly.

So now thanks to rwven I need to consider if I want to find a set of Harley 81 & 82s, or wait out a set of Progressive 944s. I'm leaning toward the 944s at this point, if I can find a used set with lower mileage for a decent price. We'll see...

This forum is great and you guys have been very helpful. Thank You!

Old 06-24-2019, 12:21 PM
barneyboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,627 Likes on 1,532 Posts

Wow, great information - Thanks barneyboy! That answers my question exactly.

So now thanks to rwven I need to consider if I want to find a set of Harley 81 & 82s, or wait out a set of Progressive 944s. I'm leaning toward the 944s at this point, if I can find a used set with lower mileage for a decent price. We'll see...

This forum is great and you guys have been very helpful. Thank You!
The newer versions show up quite often in the HDF classifieds, usually right around the $200.00 range.

Quick Reply: Premium Adjustable Shock Part Numbering ?