Sponsored by:

My turn for the water pump failure

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 12:53 PM
eqcons
Tourer
Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts
Default My turn for the water pump failure

My pump ('14 FLHTKSE) gave up at 16,200 miles, and I had no choice but to ride another 800 miles home with it like that.

Took it off today, hoping it was the common failure of electrical connections, but no luck. I could actually get it to run, but it would quickly get very hot and stop.

So, I guess it's $$$ for me to get the new part. This really sucks - bike costs as much as a pretty fully loaded small BMW sedan, and if they had a had a water pump failure at low miles by the hundreds, as the twin cooled Rushmores do, there would be a recall or a "produci improvement campaign" to replace the all, but not with HD, oh no.

The following users liked this post:
lrcormier (08-26-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 01:43 PM
BigDawgQC
Road Warrior

Received 313 Likes on 173 Posts

HD does not give a rats *** about this. Mine failed on an Iron Butt run. Dealer took me right in though. $700 later, I was back on the road.

Old 07-13-2019, 01:51 PM
eqcons
Tourer

Originally Posted by BigDawgQC
HD does not give a rats *** about this. Mine failed on an Iron Butt run. Dealer took me right in though. $700 later, I was back on the road.
Yup, it's a disgrace. Part is plainly not fit for purpose, but we have to pay HD's hugely inflated prices to keep our bikes running.

Old 07-13-2019, 02:13 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,970 Likes on 2,185 Posts

We continue to take it in the butt like good Harley sheep.

We have a component that has a history of failing prematurely. The motor company knows this because they see how many of these components they have been selling. I would imagine, after looking at the number of pumps that have been manufactured and sold on the aftermarket, someone at the company who looks at this information, and who has a sense of right and wrong, made mention of this to someone and, eventually, a decision was made to create a retrofit kit that would use the new pumps so we aren't force to keep buying and installing a defective component that has proven to fail again and again. At least that's how I imagine the story goes.

Now, if what I'm saying is true, does this situation rise to the level of intentional underhandedness, or worse? In other words, does this cross over into some form of illegality? I only ask because I wonder if this situation was brought to the attention of someone who could take it further, do you all think they would have a case and do you think they could get some satisfaction for those who have been affected, or do we just keep bending over and taking it up the wazoo?

Old 07-13-2019, 05:00 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

can you replace the heads with the non dual cooled heads an ditch all the liquid cooling stuff?

Old 07-13-2019, 06:10 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by langwilliams
can you replace the heads with the non dual cooled heads an ditch all the liquid cooling stuff?
I'm sure you could, but why?

Old 07-13-2019, 07:53 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,884 Likes on 6,933 Posts

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
I'm sure you could, but why?
Because you can! LOL

Sorry bout your problems. I think if I understand correctly the new pump is much better.

Old 07-13-2019, 09:10 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

seems the system is problem after problem so going to simpler set up might be worth considering.

Old 07-13-2019, 09:22 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by langwilliams
seems the system is problem after problem so going to simpler set up might be worth considering.
I haven't heard of one failure with the new pump. Less than $300 and problem solved versus $1,000+ dollars to change the heads if you do it yourself. A lot more if the dealer does it. That's not to mention whatever the dealer has to do to reprogram the bike.

The following users liked this post:
BigDawgQC (07-14-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 05:16 AM
eqcons
Tourer

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
We continue to take it in the butt like good Harley sheep.

We have a component that has a history of failing prematurely. The motor company knows this because they see how many of these components they have been selling. I would imagine, after looking at the number of pumps that have been manufactured and sold on the aftermarket, someone at the company who looks at this information, and who has a sense of right and wrong, made mention of this to someone and, eventually, a decision was made to create a retrofit kit that would use the new pumps so we aren't force to keep buying and installing a defective component that has proven to fail again and again. At least that's how I imagine the story goes.

Now, if what I'm saying is true, does this situation rise to the level of intentional underhandedness, or worse? In other words, does this cross over into some form of illegality? I only ask because I wonder if this situation was brought to the attention of someone who could take it further, do you all think they would have a case and do you think they could get some satisfaction for those who have been affected, or do we just keep bending over and taking it up the wazoo?
I think it's certainly against European consumer law - certainly British law says that goods must be fit for purpose, and durable, and durable regardless of the length of the warranty, up to six years on some items. The fact that the replacement is a radical re-design surely indicates HD knows that these are not fit for purpose.

Quick Reply: My turn for the water pump failure