Northeast Pennsylvania | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

Ways to Myrtle Beach

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 07:16 AM
bm
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ways to Myrtle Beach

About 9 of us areleaving from upstate NY heading to MB. Some of the group wants to go by way of Interstate 95 or 81, a couple of others want to go by way of the Outer banks. Any suggestions ??

Old 03-19-2008, 08:02 AM
DETurley
Intermediate
Default RE: Ways to Myrtle Beach

Sounds like a good trip. I would go thru Delaware and maryland's eastern shore (rt 13) to the Bay Bridge Tunnel to Viginia Beach and then south through Kitty Hawk, Nags Head and Hatteras. A ferry runs durinhfg the day over to the mainland of N.C. and head south to MB. I'm not certain of all the specific route numbers but this gives you the general direction. Let me =know how you make out if you chose this route. I don't think you'll be dissapointed.
PS You're looking at additional 4 hours but there's alot more sights on the way that break up the trip.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:03 AM
lickmstickmman
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have the time to get there... go the coastal route. Then, when you want to get home in a hurry, take the 95/81 route home. You will not be disappointed. The ride across the bay bridge tunnel is worth it by itself, except it costs like 22 bucks to cross! Also, I think there is a ferry somewhere down the outer banks that can divert the monotony of riding a long time.

Let us know which way you go.

Benji

Old 03-19-2008, 11:59 AM
RjCapp
Road Master

I assume your are riding.

I can tell you the last two posts are 100% dead on. On bikes you will hate the 95 south route although you can shave 4 hours. Not relaxing at all. DC absolutely sucks. 81 may be better but way west.

I did the trip from MD to Myrtle last year and tookthe Bay Bridge Tunnel to Virginia and then took I believe 17 south the rest of the way. No traffic. You will hit small town speed limits. Stopped every 120-140 mile for gas. It took 13hours. Well worth it.

If you do decide 95 take 476 south turnpike just past the Wilke Barre air port towards Phila. andit will take you right to 95 South. Exit 4 in Delaware will get you on 1 south toll and save time heading south to the Bay Bridge Tunnel to Viginia.

I grew up in the Scranton area and lived in Geneva for a year. WOW, youall have a long haul but it will be worth it.

I would check out 81S, 476S PA turnpike 5 bucks, 95S, DE 1S 2 bucks, 13S, Bay bridge tunnel 10.00 bucks, 64, 17S to MB.

Good luck!

Old 03-19-2008, 05:22 PM
mrbuster
Advanced

yup, and we're doing the 105th in Aug. So I think the vote is the outer bank route. We want to make Va beach or a little more south the first day. We should be able the make Myrtle by the end of the second day. Thanks

Old 03-19-2008, 08:20 PM
ctmedic
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BM

Were heading out from Connecticut. Not sure of how far up in NY but 81 is really a nice ride as well. Were taking 81 into Roanoke Friday the 9th and leaving from there on Saturday. From CT thats just about 550 miles (I would go father but gotta think of the wife) Were heading to Spartenburg for Saturday to attend a SCRC Rally, if not we would be heading strait down Rt 77 to Rt 20 to 301/501/22 right into Myrtle Beach.

I have heard Rt 77 is a nice highway also. Total is just over 1000 miles.

I,m Sure by the end of the week were Taking I-95 tword DC and cutting over to 81 from there. I think for us its just over 750 miles home that route.

Frank

Old 03-19-2008, 08:35 PM
streetboob
Road Warrior

I have ridden there 6 times. once from NY. other 5 times from Va Beach area. I most definitely prefer 17 down from VA. From where you live you would most likely have to deal with the Jersey Turnpike, which I hate riding, unless you take 84 to 209 down to Allentown and hit 476. From where I am at, I go 81 south to 476 south. Head down rt 1 & 13 to Ches bay bridge tunnel. From Va Bch it is 6-8 hrs depending on how much you stop. Way down we usually do it in 8. Way up we have done it in 6. If you do about an hour more south of Va Bch, you could probably stay in Elizabeth City and get a room cheaper and when you head south you won't hit too much traffic.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:45 PM
ahaviland
Novice

rodae down last year with a few guys. Becuase of a few mishaps (flat tire, family reunion) it took 22 hours from Westchester county. Coming home with no issues, 16 hours straight up 95 & garden state parkway. Year before left from VA, took 17 down and took 2 days. Nice ride if you have the time down 17.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:56 PM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 48 Posts

81 is a great traffic free interstate....mainly a truckers route.. That said, minimum speed is about 75. You'll get run off the road. I have gone to TN twice the last two Septembers.. I enjoy 81.. I did 900miles in 13hours.. It was fun for me. I didn't care about the scenery for that trip.

The last 4 years I have trailered to Myrtle and have taken 95... Always have traffic, and construction. Whatever Mapquest says, add 4 hours.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:09 AM
bm
Intermediate

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the input.....Thanks

Quick Reply: Ways to Myrtle Beach