Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Truth or Being BS'd???

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 10:05 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Exclamation

I just got back from having a set of five fresh tyres fitted to one of our other vehicles. Why? Because they are all past their recommended max life of seven years. Either take the advice of Amsoil and recycle it, or get on with using it. Your oil is older than your bike.....

Old 03-27-2018, 10:37 AM
HDSlimJim
Tourer
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

"Mobil 1 V-Twin"

Long story short, this product exists because Mobile wanted to "idiot proof" oil selection for 3 hole (Harley) riders. They didn't trust that people would get the right product in the right hole..Amsoil didn't either, but Amsoil finally caved and made hole specific products.

Mobil1 V-Twin doesn't hava a JASO rating, so it's not optimal for the Primary, it also doesn't have the latest API rating which opens another can of worms...it's SJ rated...that's for 2001 and older automotive engines!

Longer story short, since you're a Mobile fan:

1. Use Mobile1 engine oil in 15w50 for the engine, it's a better oil (up to date SN API rating) and it's less expensive.
2. Use 10w40 Mobile1 Racing 4T in the primary, it's JASO certified for optimal clutch performance. Harley and Amsoil primary oil is a 40 weight oil....not 50weight like Mobile V-Twin.
3. Use any (proper for your bike) gear oil for the Transmission; I use Amsoil; it's pricey, but the oil stays clean/good for a very long time...unlike the engine and primary which I change every 2500 miles.

Last edited by HDSlimJim; 03-27-2018 at 10:53 AM.
Old 03-27-2018, 12:10 PM
daveblank
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by HDSlimJim
"Mobil 1 V-Twin"

Mobil1 V-Twin doesn't hava a JASO rating,
HD does nor require JASO specs oils, so why would Mobil 1 want to spend the money getting it tested & certified? Why don't they use it? It's a Japanese spec....JASO = Japanese Engine Oil Standards

Old 03-27-2018, 12:17 PM
daveblank
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

double post

Last edited by daveblank; 03-27-2018 at 12:20 PM. Reason: double post
Old 03-27-2018, 12:25 PM
HDSlimJim
Tourer
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

JASO is tough standard aimed at motorcycle oils and how they perform in clutch situations. Only the best motorcycle oils can make the JASO standard.

"Harley does not require JASO"...ah, yes, you get a non-JASO oil from Harley for same price as a JASO oil from Amsoil..who knows more about oil...Harley or Amsoil? I don't see Harley oil going into Top Fuel Drag cycles...

Mobile1 "does spend the money to get it tested"...Mobile1 Racing 4T is JASO rated...Amsoil is also JASO rated for their Harley primary oil...but Harley is not..yeah, Harley knows better than Amsoil and Mobile1...I think not...Harley is out for maximum profit; selling you a good oil at a great oil price.

I don't want to hijack this guys thread, he posted that he uses Mobile1, so I just gave him some information to save him some money while improving the quality/performance of using Mobile1 products.

Last edited by HDSlimJim; 03-27-2018 at 12:28 PM.
Old 03-27-2018, 02:40 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

H-D doesn't tell us what specs their oils meet, so we can't compare them with other oils. All we know is that we can use certain specs of diesel engine oil as an alternative and who knows what for the transmission. H-D tranny oil could well meet JASO spec for all we know, we certainly can't say with any certainty that it does not. The Formula + container does assure us that it is approved "for use in all stages of transmission and primary", also "to maintain the coefficient of friction for proper clutch operation" etc.

Old 03-27-2018, 03:55 PM
rick601
Banned
Received 3,952 Likes on 1,560 Posts
Default depending on the value of what you have...

It might be worth an oil analysis test (google is your friend). I don't believe these tests are all that expensive anyway. Could be worth it for the next change!

Old 03-28-2018, 12:10 AM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 530 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by rick601
It might be worth an oil analysis test (google is your friend). I don't believe these tests are all that expensive anyway. Could be worth it for the next change!
I think it would be a good idea.

Old 03-29-2018, 06:00 AM
y22c
Road Master
Received 163 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
H-D doesn't tell us what specs their oils meet, so we can't compare them with other oils. All we know is that we can use certain specs of diesel engine oil as an alternative and who knows what for the transmission. H-D tranny oil could well meet JASO spec for all we know, we certainly can't say with any certainty that it does not. The Formula + container does assure us that it is approved "for use in all stages of transmission and primary", also "to maintain the coefficient of friction for proper clutch operation" etc.
No truer words have been spoken and FWIW JASO-Japanese Automotive Standards Origination.

Ken

The following users liked this post:
grbrown (03-29-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 04:47 PM
ghost183
Tourer
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

well.. you just reminded me of my personal sob story, that ill tell you guys for the wtf?!?! factor

but in no way a comparison with todays premium blends ( no.. not whiskeys!!)

in april 97 i had my bike in a rented garage of an old timer neighbor, fellow rider, to store my bike during winter months,, but i did ride it tho, saturday night we decided, at 11:13 pm to ride down to virginia beach for the weekend , aaaaa the good ol days!!!

i leaked oil, older pre evo motor, say it aint soooooo.. lol...

so oil was low as usual but since this wasnt planned, no oil was available at that moment, so i used 1 1/2 quarts of an oil that the old timer had in the garage, most likely since the birth of christ, it was SEALED but old enough that the writing had faded off on the plastic bottle, funny thing tho.. i remember saying to myself.. is this sh*t still good?!?!?!... i could read either sunoco or fomoco, but i saw clearly, 10w40, flowed fine pouring into the crank case considering it was kinda chilly, maybe 40 degrees that night

that new oil that i just put, had sludged up and NEVER mixed with the existing oil and just went to the bottom of the tank and sat there.. upon inspection, the oil pump pick up had pulled a nice little channel that the old, fluid oil was able to get thru and into the oil pump

i scored the cylinders, destroyed a piston and the valve seals crossing the DE bridge i95 southbound..2.5 hrs into the ride

that 1 qt of the old fluid oil lasted till the DE bridge..

Quick Reply: Truth or Being BS'd???