Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Oil warning light

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 05:19 AM
SkidMarks
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation Oil warning light

Recently I noticed my Oil warning light came on, while out riding my 2014 Sportster XL1200T.
Concerned, I immediately stopped and checked my oil level. Oil level was fine. Upon restarting the bike, I noted that the light was now out but came on again seconds after I continued on down the road. When I arrived home, I again checked the oil level to find all was still normal. I put the bike in "diagnostic" mode to scan DCT's for any errors/Issues with any modules. All modules came up with no codes or issues.
I want to go on a road trip but am concerned about the red oil light.
If oil level is good, what other condition/situation could be causing the oil light to remain on?
Any insight would be helpful.
Cheers.

Old 05-31-2018, 06:23 PM
jmeyer58
Road Captain
Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

I believe the light comes on if the wire is grounded. Make sure that the wire to the sending unit is not grounding out somewhere (hot pipe etc). Also, unplug the sending unit and see if the light goes out. If so, I would just replace the sending unit and see if the problem is solved. Since you have checked the oil level multiple times and the motor hasn’t grenadines I doubt it is a true lack of pressure.

Old 06-01-2018, 07:57 PM
SkidMarks
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Jim, I think you're bang on. I did what you said as well as grounded the wire and the light came back on so I'm sure the wiring is good. I also checked the oil with the engine running and there was a distinct flow of oil moving through the oil tank so there's no blockage to be concerned about. I'm sure (at least I hope) replacing the "sending unit" will solve the problem.
Cheers.