Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Oil Basics, Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 06:18 PM
motorcyclemal
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by grbrown
If that is so then definitely don't do what they do! Shovels and older vehicles, of all brands, were built to very different standards than modern vehicles like your bike, are probably also well worn by now. If you have the owners manual for your bike you will see that when Harley oils are not available you should use oils for diesel engines. Use that as your guide. If you don't have a manual, you can download one from the US H-D website, just go to the Owners tab.
Diesel oil!! haven't heard that before. Think maybe i'll stick some of that additive
http://www.everglideoil.com
in and see what happens.

Old 03-29-2017, 04:30 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by motorcyclemal
Diesel oil!! haven't heard that before. Think maybe i'll stick some of that additive
http://www.everglideoil.com
in and see what happens.
Check your owners manual, there's a good chap! You don't have to believe me, go by what the MoCo recommends.

Old 04-07-2017, 05:38 PM
motorcyclemal
Intermediate

Originally Posted by grbrown
Check your owners manual, there's a good chap! You don't have to believe me, go by what the MoCo recommends.
I used to believe every word they said, but I'm a lot more sceptical these days- i must be getting old or something
Anway, i put the recommended amount of 90ml in with my dino oil and it sounds pretty good

Old 04-07-2017, 07:07 PM
rodhotter
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default how little we know

unless you are into tribology theres much about lubricants that is not common knowledge. first off most "synthetics" are highly refined-hydrocracked CRUDE oils technically group III since the 1999 law revision by the advertising council when castrol was selling + marketing their highly refined CRUDE oil as "synthetic + Mobil still using costlier group IV PAO real synthetic "disagreed", hence the "synthetics" for break-in. real synthetic oils classed as group IV + V may require a dino first, redline one of the very best + a group V Ester oil does!! engines without shared oil supplies can use most oils of the correct viscosity for your riding conditions + changing oil cheaply + timely at home is good insurance for your engine!!

Last edited by rodhotter; 04-07-2017 at 07:24 PM.
Old 04-08-2017, 04:53 PM
motorcyclemal
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rodhotter
unless you are into tribology theres much about lubricants that is not common knowledge. first off most "synthetics" are highly refined-hydrocracked CRUDE oils technically group III since the 1999 law revision by the advertising council when castrol was selling + marketing their highly refined CRUDE oil as "synthetic + Mobil still using costlier group IV PAO real synthetic "disagreed", hence the "synthetics" for break-in. real synthetic oils classed as group IV + V may require a dino first, redline one of the very best + a group V Ester oil does!! engines without shared oil supplies can use most oils of the correct viscosity for your riding conditions + changing oil cheaply + timely at home is good insurance for your engine!!
Sorry mate, didnt understand a word of that except for the last bit about insurance for your engine. which is why i put this stuff in
http://www.everglideoil.com/everglide-synthetic
this is the info for their synth oil additive, i put the equivalent mineral one in mine

Old 10-03-2017, 08:45 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

Yes indeed. ..what we have here is...yet another oil thread!

Old 10-03-2017, 07:28 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,499 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Originally Posted by Veekness
Yes indeed. ..what we have here is...yet another oil thread!
Yes indeed, a 12 year old oil thread to be more specific.

Should there not be an oil thread in a section of the forum called:

"Oil and Oil Related Topics"?

Old 05-26-2019, 07:29 PM
Rickity
Advanced
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Have you ever considered Amsoil? They have everything you need as far as synthetic oils for engine, trans, and primary. Including a 20 micron oil filter, for longer change intervals. you can become a preferred customer for like 20.00 bucks an year, you can get up to 25% off with free shipping on orders over 100.00. I have never had an oil related issue om my '09 ultra, primary oil has worked well with my Barnett clutch pack. 5000 mile oil change. might be worth checking out their web site.

Old 02-22-2020, 09:32 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 715 Likes on 626 Posts

BIG DIFF BETWEEN GASOLINE AND DIESEL
that said, the additive package is way diff. as for as wear additives, probably tit-for-tat but where a big diff is in suspension. why?? diesels have a high particular matter especially the older formulations. but today's diesel is almost like gasoline and burn way cleaner. if you have an older machine especially with mechanical injection, it is imperative to add some lube to the newer fuels. some say there is no need but i am not taking the chance on $$$$$ for a rebuild or new pump if there is one.
if you are a sunday school rider, diesel oil is better since it will help keep the c/c clean but if you change oil a lot, probably does not matter.
my first car was a amoco company car my father had from new. this car had regular oil changes done by an amoco service station ever 3k miles. it was a dodge cornet 440. amoco policy was new car every 50k miles or when warranty was up so i got the car for 500 dollars with 47k on the clock.
the station used amoco auto oil and when you opened the port on the valve cover, sludge, not saying much for engine oil in the 60's. i started using texaco ursla diesel oil as that is what i was around but brands changed so it could have been a delvac or such. the thing is by 75k, the engine was super clean and no sludge.
as it stands for now, my wife car threw in a wrench. it is the new honda eco-earth green engine and uses a 0-20 oil which you will not find in a diesel oil. the newer engines are getting more hydraulic in nature with all the cam adv/retard and 4/6/8 technologies. does the oil get black, well yep in a few hundred miles, is it dirty, well NOPE!. it uses direct injection and turbo and i assume the oil circulated fairly quickly. for a 4 banger 1500cc and 200hp, pretty impressive. if i could, i would run a diesel oil, IF, i could find one. it is unreal how they have reduced friction and mass in the newer engines so less loading on parts.

Old 06-07-2022, 02:15 AM
Glennstur
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

After reading parts one and two of the oil basics, I feel like I have a better grasp of oils!

Quick Reply: Oil Basics, Part 2