Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Not an oil thread, but..

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 07:19 PM
kevjo
Advanced
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Not an oil thread, but..

Thinking of changing from Syn3 to either Amsoil or Dino at my 10,000 mile service. My M8 Road Glide is using nearly a quart every 1000 miles with Syn3. I don't have any leaks and don't think it is sumping because it runs like a scalded dog. Also the gear whine is annoying. I'm using Syn3 in all three holes. I addressed the oil usage at last service and the tech said it would slow down on consumption as it breaks in. My 103 used very little oil with 65,000 on the clock. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Old 07-30-2018, 07:35 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

My bike likes M1 20-50. I've had 360, Syn3, Formula, Amsoil, and there tranny, primary lubes in it. Redline, Spectro and the list goes on and on. I've spent a small fortune trying different oils in my bike. It's a rattler and nothing cures it oil wise. Since it has a habit of transfering I settled on M1 in all three holes and all three systems seem to like it. I can get the M1 a K&N oil filter and drain plug O-Rings at just about any auto parts store in the country and stay out of Wal-Mart.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:02 PM
MotoJockey
Stellar HDF Member

Received 3,082 Likes on 1,263 Posts

So at what mileage does your tech feel that a motor is finally broke in? 20,000........30,000? I'm interested here as my '17 FLHR is going thru about a qt. every 1000 miles as well and I've been using Syn3 since day 1 with this bike. NEVER had a bike, car, or lawn mower go thru that much oil before. I'm usually a M1 Syn V-Twin 20-50 kinda guy, but I can't believe that would make that big of a difference. Dino?........ maybe, IDK.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:02 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,572 Likes on 1,524 Posts

A quart every 1,000 miles seems crazy, think I would pull the clutch in.....pin the throttle and wait for the fireworks, LoL but on the plus side, with 5k intervals you seem to have a self changing system! Joking aside, that sucks and I hope it gets worked out for you.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:06 PM
KrustyKush
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 287 Posts

Very unlikely changing oil brand will have any effect on your consumption. I've been through this with oil-drinking bikes I've owned in the past. I tried various oil types and brands, viscosities, etc. Nothing ever made any significant difference that could be attributed to the oil.

Especially now you've got 10k miles on the bike. it is finished breaking in. If yours is using that much oil then something is out of whack inside. I personally would not tolerate that much oil consumption, unless the bike was a rat that was being used to death. I'd take the top end apart, figure out where the oil is going, and fix that.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:16 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,544 Likes on 4,431 Posts

my 17 RK settled into very little oil consumption..wife's Freewheeler is in the shop having the 'internal' breathers inspected as possible cause as hers will spew quite a bit through the same SE Hi Flow as I have...we both run HD360, buddy has a 17 RK with same AC, ran SYN 3 since Day 1 and hot spews bad like hers at times as well..type or brand of oil isn't the problem

"some air and oil will manage to make it into the heads. So, there’s this new one-piece breather valve located in each head. "

Last edited by mjwebb; 07-30-2018 at 08:22 PM.
Old 07-31-2018, 12:34 PM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,906 Likes on 3,285 Posts

I've been here 5 years and I've read Amsoil this andAmsoil that so last year I decided to give it a go. Truth is my valve train noise became louder when I used it and my trans didn't shift as well when using the stock HD or other Syn oils. I know there are Amsoil diehards out there but in all the years I've ridden, and all the bikes I've owned I just don't think it's worth the coin they ask.
Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Oldskewl; 07-31-2018 at 12:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tenn volunteer (07-31-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 12:40 PM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldskewl
I've been here 5 years and I've read Amsoil this andAmsoil that so last year I decided to give it a go. Truth is my valve train noise became louder when I used it and my trans didn't shift as well when using the stock HD or other Syn oils. I know there are Amsoil diehards out there but in all the years I've ridden, and all the bikes I've owned I just don't think it's worth the coin they ask.
Just my 2 cents.
I am NOT an AMSOIL lover or dealer but i am an avid reader of lab test results.
The 3 ball bearing test.
and several others.
You know who comes in first or near first every time.
All the oil threads I always just say "look up the results".

Old 07-31-2018, 12:57 PM
rjacobs
Tourer
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldskewl
Amsoil...the coin they ask.
Its really not any more expensive than other "true" synthetics.

A lot of people compare Amsoil Signature price at ~10 a quart(I know it varies) to the $5 a quart Mobil 1, but usually the Mobil 1 they are comparing it to is NOT a true synthetic, its a blend. Amsoil sells blends as well(on the automotive side, but not the power sports side). When you compare one of the blend oils from Amsoil such as the OE or XL series, price was, to the lower end Mobil 1 oils, they are priced just about the same. Then compare the Amsoil Signature series to the high end Mobil 1(their new 5W40 comes to mind) and its basically the same price.

I dont know the break down of the various harley oils to which is a blend and which is a full, true synthetic, but I bet price wise, they are in line. I believe the Syn3 is full synthetic. Harley is getting 85 bucks for 5 quarts and a filter. You can get 5 quarts of HD360 and a filter for $58.

Mobil 1 V-Twin 20w50 is 11.50 a quart at AutoZone(just one website so prices im sure vary). Somebody above says they use it in all 3 holes, so lets say 7 quarts plus a filter(10 bucks give or take) is $90.50.

I just bought 5 quarts of Amsoil 20w50, 1 qt primary fluid, 1qt trans fluid, and a filter for 80 bucks yesterday.

Im SURE there are plenty of other oils out there I could compare prices on(some higher, some lower), but I guess I fail to see how Amsoil "asks a lot of coin" for their product. It's cheaper than the Harley Syn3 oil since their kits dont include oil for the primary or trans which I guess would add at least 20 bucks(10 per quart).

Old 07-31-2018, 01:39 PM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

Perhaps a lesson in economics here-
When you buy a Qt of genuine HD oil you are getting oil from the pot of the lowest bid.
It could be almost anything, and for sure it is nothing too special.

http://www.harley-performance.com/amsoil-vs-harley.html
http://www.1st-in-synthetics.com/art...rcycle_Oil.htm
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=amsoil+vs+...v99-2_g&ia=web

if you want to get smart, google Amsoil VS whatever oil you wish.
Want to get smarter? move on to "bob the oil guy"
Smarter yet ?? do independent oil lab test.

Quick Reply: Not an oil thread, but..