Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Let's talk brake fluid

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2005, 03:07 PM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Let's talk brake fluid

Got my new chrome front end stuff in. One of those items is the chrome brake reservoir. So I need to replace my brake system.

In '05, the MoCo went back to DOT 4 brake fluid. A few of the previous years were DOT 5.

My understanding is that DOT 5 has a higher heat tolerance than DOT 4, and DOT 4 higher than DOT 3.

Well, the new reservoir, and the stock reservoir both state, "DOT 4 only".

I head down to the Auto Parts store, and the closest thing they have is Valvoline synthetic, which states, "Exceeds Dot 3 and Dot 4". I asked the guy if they had any DOT 4, he pointed me to the Valvoline.

What difference does it make? I bought the Valvoline stuff, I'm headed to the garage to start this job, I'll check back. Should I head down to the HD shop and get their over-priced crap?

Mac

Old 06-11-2005, 03:29 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 147 Likes on 41 Posts
Default RE: Let's talk brake fluid

Mac

I would STRONGLY suggest a ride to the dealer for the proper fluid, check to see if the dot 4 is ALL 05 bikes or JUST the cop bikes, not sure here! Dot 5 is silicone, the others are not. The abs on cop bikes is why they went back to dot 4
There is a big problem with mixing fluids. Usually if this happens, even in small amounts, a complete disassemble , cleaning and replacement of the seals is in order. Don't go by the auto store guys on this one.The silicone and others DO NOT MIX without problems. A few $$ spent now will save you a world of grief later. JMHO

Old 06-11-2005, 08:03 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts

The world is leaving DOT 3 & 5 and going to the DOT 4. DOT 5 is silicone based and used to be touted for not being hygroscopic, or water absorbing. It had a high boiling point and that made it good. But it is incompatible with ABS components. DOT 3, the old standard, had a lower boiling point, and it was hygroscopic, which lowered the boiling point ever more as more water was absorbed into it over time. DOT 3 eats paint, while DOT 5 won't hurt paint. Don't know about DOT 4, though I suspect it'll be mean to paint.

The new DOT 4 has nearly as high a boiling point as the DOT 5, isn't s'posed to be as hygroscopic as DOT 3, is compatible with ABS components, and gives a firmer pedal feel than DOT 5.

Wal Mart carries DOT 4, and it's much less expensive than the re-branded HD stuff.

As TCSTD sed, don't mix the stuff. If it doesn't eat your seals, it will start globbing up and really make a mess of the brake system. Of course, you won't find it out 'til Ida Mae Fiddle-Withers pulls out in front of you and there's an 18 wheeler in the lane next to you.

Old 06-11-2005, 08:10 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

They pretty well summed it up for you Pilot, follow their advice and you will be o-k. One other thing, if you ever use the dot 5 for anything, don't open it around any thing you are fixing to paint, the silicone will not let the paint stick properly.

John TN

Old 06-12-2005, 04:40 AM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member

Thanks for the help. I guess I'll head back to the auto store for a refund, and head to Wally World.

FWIW, I had no intention of mixing, I'm completely replacing the brake system, reservoir, braided lines...all of it. I guess the caliper is not being replaced.

I'll get the DOT 4...

Thanks for the help,

Mac

Old 06-12-2005, 11:42 AM
LAF
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NAPA has Dot 4 as I just picked some up last week.

Old 06-13-2005, 12:50 PM
Triple Z
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DOT 4 is a glycol-based fluid, while DOT 5 is silicone-based. They do not mix.
In '05, the MOCO started using DOT 4 in the FLHT family only.
The change to DOT 4 is reportedly due to requirements of the ABS, which may soon (?) be available on all FLHT's.

Old 06-13-2005, 01:27 PM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member

So technically, I could use the DOT 5...I don't have anti-lock brakes...I'll go with the DOT 4, but I just don't get it.

Mac

Old 06-14-2005, 01:48 AM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: pilot1996

So technically, I could use the DOT 5...I don't have anti-lock brakes...I'll go with the DOT 4, but I just don't get it.

Mac
What is it you don't get. We will work thru this.

John TN

Old 06-14-2005, 02:05 AM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member

I guess I don't understand why they went backwards in technology...unless the DOT 5 doesn't work for anti lock brakes...TNW, I picked up the DOT 4 from Wally World today for $2.50.

Mac

Quick Reply: Let's talk brake fluid