Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Is there a way to flush old oil out of bike?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 04:12 AM
DenimStreet
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is there a way to flush old oil out of bike?

When I do an oil change, I hate to leave any old dirty oil in the crank case. I am changing to Mobil 1 and I don't want to leave the Syn 3 in there to mix with it. How can I get the excess out of there so I have a more pure fill of oil in the bike?

Old 05-12-2007, 04:28 AM
bear95252
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is there a way to flush old oil out of bike?

IMHO I think you are making a big deal out of nothing. There will always be a little residual in the bottom of the engine that you can't get out with out special drain fittings. Using chemical flushes on a an aircooled engine will do more harm than good. Syn3 is compatable with all other synthetic oils so the few ozs. that are left in the engine will mix with the Mobil. It will all be gone after the second oil change anyway and no damage done or moneys spent for nothing. Thats my opinion..

Bear
Amsoil Dealer

Old 05-12-2007, 10:45 AM
DenimStreet
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: bear95252

IMHO I think you are making a big deal out of nothing. There will always be a little residual in the bottom of the engine that you can't get out with out special drain fittings. Using chemical flushes on a an aircooled engine will do more harm than good. Syn3 is compatable with all other synthetic oils so the few ozs. that are left in the engine will mix with the Mobil. It will all be gone after the second oil change anyway and no damage done or moneys spent for nothing. Thats my opinion..

Bear
Amsoil Dealer
Ok, that makes sense, but what about the dino oil that is in there mixed with my syn3 because it was left in there when I changed to synthetic?

Old 05-12-2007, 10:59 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Dino and syth are ok to mix. Don't worry about it.

Old 05-12-2007, 02:24 PM
bear95252
Cruiser

xxxflhrci is absolutly correct. Dino and Syn are compatable. Juat change your oil to what ever you want and enjoy.. Normal oil changes will take care of the rest.

Bear

Old 05-12-2007, 05:36 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts

Denim, you really need to get that scrip filled. This OCD is gonna get worse otherwise! After all when I went for a ride today, I was leaking oil out my crankcase. Some of it was undoubtedly vaporized enough to stay in the atmosphere. In a couple days the prevailing winds will carry it to NY and your bike will breathe it in through the air cleaner. Of that small amount, some will make it past your rings and/or valve guides, and then intermingle with your Mobil 1. Since I'm using some really cheap Super Tech 20w-50 it'll probably contaminate your oil and immediately score the cylinder walls so badly they'll be able to suck air through them.

Old 05-13-2007, 07:36 AM
Romark
Road Master

Pococj,

Jefferson, TX. Now there is a place you don't see often. Beautiful place to live. I have relatives in that small town. Do you know the people who used to own the Jefferson Body Shop?
The Watsons and Steelmans.

Mark

Old 05-13-2007, 02:38 PM
olyeller40
Stage I

Yes their is a way to flush all the old oil out. I have one and not used it yet but it will work. Go to www.RogueChopper.com

Old 05-14-2007, 12:37 AM
FBOMB
Intermediate

This is what I did (on my 04 Fatboy), I drained the oil from the tank, replaced the oil filter with a new one, filled theoil tank with new oil, pulled the outside oil line from the tank (there are two lines on the tank. Pull the one closest to the oil fill hole. You will need a special plastic tool for this). Connect a drain hose to the end of the oil line you pulled and make sure it is secure. Put the other end of the hose into the container to catch the oil. Run the bike and watch the oil coming out of the drain hose. Once you see that new oil is coming out which may take 10-30 seconds, turn off the engine. Pull the drain hose off, reinstall the oil line, fill the oil tank to proper level, and your done. All the old oil was removed. This is very similar to the rougechoppers scavanger kit. Good luck.

Old 05-14-2007, 06:57 PM
cj_slowdown
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: FBOMB

This is what I did (on my 04 Fatboy), I drained the oil from the tank, replaced the oil filter with a new one, filled theoil tank with new oil, pulled the outside oil line from the tank (there are two lines on the tank. Pull the one closest to the oil fill hole. You will need a special plastic tool for this). Connect a drain hose to the end of the oil line you pulled and make sure it is secure. Put the other end of the hose into the container to catch the oil. Run the bike and watch the oil coming out of the drain hose. Once you see that new oil is coming out which may take 10-30 seconds, turn off the engine. Pull the drain hose off, reinstall the oil line, fill the oil tank to proper level, and your done. All the old oil was removed. This is very similar to the rougechoppers scavanger kit. Good luck.
DenimStreet

FBOMB is correct I use to do this with my old shovel motor, (remember I have an old oil tank with the large screw top the kind that the cartridge filter fit into) two lines coming into the top of the neck, one was the feed line from the pump, I took it off put ithe hoseright into a 32 oz mayo jar, started the motor (with the new oil ) it started to pump black oil, real blackadded some more new oil as it went down, (didn't really have to do these since the new oil came out within 2/3 rds of the qt jar filled less than a qt) you can't believe the crappy oil that was in the sump, I read this tip years ago, said to do it approx every 3rd oil change.

Can't blame you being a little concerned, but mixing Dino oil brandsis much worst than syn, lots have been written about both.

thats was why I broke-in the new engine with the 4 qts ofMobile V Twin that came with it, then switch to AMSOIL at the 50, 500 and the 1,000 mile mark.

Good luck, ride safe !

cj

Quick Reply: Is there a way to flush old oil out of bike?