Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Suggest Transmission oil to use

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 04:59 PM
Old-Harley-Rider
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Suggest Transmission oil to use

Hi Guys I purchased a 2014 Tri Glide with 5000 miles on it back in Oct. I want to change the oil in all 3 holes.. I have been reading about the oil changes that have been posted here, but most of them are a few years old, and I am looking for a fresh answer (if there is one lol ) First I am using Castrol Synthetic in the motor.. but don't know what to use in the transmission or primary.. I keep reading about Red Line heavy shockproof or Amsoil heavy 70/110? I... like some that I have read about have a clunk when I put it into 1st gear.. but in my mind that's a Harley.. I have had 3 and all of them have had that distinctive clunk.. but I am having a %$^# of a time finding neutral.. also ( and I may be in the wrong place for this ) I am looking for the rubber gaskets that go under the caps for the front brake and clutch.. was told they are not sold separately.. hate to have to pay $40. or more when I don't need the caps... Please weight in on any help and experience.. I have till April to ride.. the north coast is no place to ride in the winter... thanks for the help

Old 11-30-2017, 05:57 PM
MisteredEd
Intermediate
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

IMO... I would run the Red Line Shockproof for the trans. I have used RL's Primary Oil but switched to Belray. Better clutch engagement under a load.

The following users liked this post:
Vec (02-23-2021)
Old 11-30-2017, 06:33 PM
MURPHCC1
Club Member
Received 2,800 Likes on 1,363 Posts

I use gear oil in the trans........thats what its made for......gears!

Old 11-30-2017, 07:13 PM
New Lenox Jim
Intermediate
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

100% yes gear oil in trans. Any quality product will do. I use the synthetic 75w140. The first gear clunk, and hard N has nothing to do with the trans oil. That's the primary fluid issue. If there is a heavy weight oil in there when the clutch is engaged (and the clutch plates separate), the thick oil causes drag between them. If N is a problem then automatic transmission fluid ATF is a sure fix in the primary. That's what ATF is made for. The wet clutch in your bike is very similar to the clutches in your cars transmission. I would (and do) use Mobil 1 synthetic ATF. If I don't run ATF in the primary then I use either Mobil1 or Shell Rotella 5W40 turbo diesel oli in the primary.

Old 11-30-2017, 07:13 PM
New Lenox Jim
Intermediate
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

100% yes gear oil in trans. Any quality product will do. I use the synthetic 75w140. The first gear clunk, and hard N has nothing to do with the trans oil. That's the primary fluid issue. If there is a heavy weight oil in there when the clutch is engaged (and the clutch plates separate), the thick oil causes drag between them. If N is a problem then automatic transmission fluid ATF is a sure fix in the primary. That's what ATF is made for. The wet clutch in your bike is very similar to the clutches in your cars transmission. I would (and do) use Mobil 1 synthetic ATF. If I don't run ATF in the primary then I use either Mobil1 or Shell Rotella 5W40 turbo diesel oli in the primary.

Old 12-01-2017, 02:47 PM
jkghdrider
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I've used Schaeffer products for quite a few yrs now:

Engine: 20W50, #705 Supreme 7000 Synthetic Plus
Trans: 75W90 #293 Supreme Gear Lube
Primary: Super Lube #240 Supreme Primary Lube

Old 12-01-2017, 03:00 PM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,007 Likes on 2,000 Posts

Mobil synthetic gear oil for the transmission and hd primary oil...smoothest combo I've found so far. Of course any good brand will work but for best results stick with a fluid that is meant for each hole...gear oil= trans, primary = primary and a good motorcycle specific motor oil.

Old 12-01-2017, 05:47 PM
xcbullet
Road Warrior
Received 262 Likes on 224 Posts

Can't get any better than red line shock proof. Ran it for 16000 miles this year and it came out looking like it went in, not one spec on the magnet. Primary I use amsoil primary mixed with 25% amsoil ATF. Considering using M1 4t 10-40, just so I don't have to mix, but that mix is the best of both out of all I've tried. Both Being least wear and least clutch drag

Old 12-01-2017, 06:10 PM
Vec
Road Master

Received 472 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by MisteredEd
IMO... I would run the Red Line Shockproof for the trans.
I concur

Old 12-02-2017, 07:00 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,507 Likes on 4,618 Posts

Don`t get too wrapped up in what transmission lube to use, a gear lube will work fine, so will formula + or 20w50 motor oil.

A lot of guys say you must use gear oil because you are lubricating gears, but I wonder how many of them have seen a gear that had premature wear or damage from using a motor oil in the transmission.

The most common failures in these transmissions are bearings, not gears.

The following 2 users liked this post by Dan89FLSTC:
A1A (05-20-2018), bigal51 (04-13-2018)

Quick Reply: Suggest Transmission oil to use