Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Switching oil brands

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2021, 08:29 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 728 Likes on 639 Posts

laugh all you want. oil can go many thousands of hours. in the industrial world, oil is not changed unless bad samples turn up or a major over-haul is made. this resets the analysis wear trend.
every hear of the FRANTZ system?? probably not. i came across this back in the 60's when i helped tear down a dr. pepper bottling plant that was going electric. well, the plant ran off a 4 cyl wisconsin engine for decades and it did not have a filtering system but the frantz system was installed. every one i talked to said the engine was never worked on since they were there, the engine went into a mud boat as a second life.
https://www.frantzfilters.com/
these carried the FAA certification till particle separators came out so the filters had to come off because they filtered so finely that there would be no particle to pickup which would signal an engine issue.
i bought an amoco company car at 50k miles and it was maintained religiously by the amoco station and it was sludged up, installed the frantz and went to industrial oil like used in an EMD engine and never pulled the oil drain since and within 20k, the engine was whistle clean and ran till i traded it in for a dodge demon with 170k on the clock. i showed the 440 no mercy!

Old 09-05-2021, 04:36 PM
robarosa
Road Master
Received 548 Likes on 386 Posts

In my work life long ago I ran 5 to 6k miles a month. I know about high oil mileage with just changing the filter and adding a quart. Some decent results and a lot of horrible results. There is more to long term oil usage other than particles. Such as fuel dilution and viscosity break down due to molecule loss. If it works for you, that's wonderful.

However;
I'm laughing at the look. Now, that's funny. ;-) Chill out...

Old 09-06-2021, 08:40 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 728 Likes on 639 Posts

it is more that changing a filter. oil gets dirty and additives wear out so the has to be a make up system. the frantz system is a BY_PASS system and CANNOT be used in a through flow application. the above video i made 5 years ago for another forum ?. i NEVER had an engine failure since i started using these in 1965 and run the vehicles till other issues warranted selling them.
these units come in multiple roll and is used on any engine or transmission that has pressure.
with industrial lubes, your 5>6k miles is dust on the scales. i cannot remember the tanker's name but shell rotella made over 500k hours before it was drained.
either on this forum or another recently this subject came up and an ex navy member said they never changed oil on the aircraft carrier.
when you are talking drums and not quarts, cost is a BIG factor!!!
i work on engines you could put your harley in a cly, roll it over and spit out a metal pancake. centrifuges are best and will filter out a nats ***. we ran on oil analysis and these engines run 24/7 running fully powered up for years. sometimes these engines were driven past their limits with transit loads.

Old 09-06-2021, 09:16 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,779 Likes on 4,543 Posts

Originally Posted by bustert
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfdPLojAmgE

it is more that changing a filter. oil gets dirty and additives wear out so the has to be a make up system. the frantz system is a BY_PASS system and CANNOT be used in a through flow application. the above video i made 5 years ago for another forum ?. i NEVER had an engine failure since i started using these in 1965 and run the vehicles till other issues warranted selling them.
these units come in multiple roll and is used on any engine or transmission that has pressure.
with industrial lubes, your 5>6k miles is dust on the scales. i cannot remember the tanker's name but shell rotella made over 500k hours before it was drained.
either on this forum or another recently this subject came up and an ex navy member said they never changed oil on the aircraft carrier.
i work on engines you could put your harley in a cly, roll it over and spit out a metal pancake. centrifuges are best and will filter out a nats ***. we ran on oil analysis and these engines run 24/7 running fully powered up for years. sometimes these engines were driven past their limits with transit loads.
well OP, there ya' have it, that answers your topic question "is there any issue with switching oil brands?"

The following users liked this post:
dawg (09-06-2021)
Old 09-08-2021, 01:16 PM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 5,701 Likes on 3,121 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfdPLojAmgE

Sir, I get where you are coming from. You mentioned EMD, and I am (was) a certified EMD technician for power generation, mining, and industrial sets, so I get it. When it comes to crankcases of that size, and how often the oil on those dirty 2 strokes got, it is easy to quantify a system like this. The turbos on 645s needed that clean oil, for sure!

I must admit that I too became a believer. When I lived in Alaska I installed many by-pass low-micron particulate systems on my customers stand-by generators in the field and was able to extend oil change intervals from 250 hours to 1500 hours. This is significant for systems literally in the middle of nowhere, that were monitored by PLC, when were were able to connect.

So, I jumped on the Amsoil train, installed by-pass, low-micron systems on my 2500HD with 8.1, and my wife's Tahoe. They work just as you describe. I changed filters, I sent in oil samples, and had no issues. Then I traded both rigs for new rigs, and just never felt the need for the initial expense on personal vehicles, again. I just trade too often. I can't imagine going through that on my bikes. Honestly, I like doing the maintenance and being able to put my eye on everything.

At the end of the day, this has nothing to do with the question of switching brands. As a long time engine builder, trained by the relics before me, they always say don't switch. I myself do try to stick with a brand, but I KNOW it is fine to switch. This particular 128 engine I have now has been through 5 brands already!

Old 09-08-2021, 01:58 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,585 Likes on 4,652 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
from the folks who manufactured your motorcycle..you decide if you trust them, or know more than them or trust others' opinions on Internet forums

"Do not switch lubricant brands indiscriminately because some lubricants interact chemically when mixed. Use of inferior lubricants can damage the engine."
"Some lubricants interact chemically when mixed" well, yeah, I guess if you mix automatic transmission lube with motor oil...

Otherwise this is an absolutely ridiculous statement, it is nothing but a junk science scare tactic to make the owner continue to use Harley brand lubricants.

Any motor oil of the correct grade can be used and mixed, synthetic or conventional.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 09-08-2021 at 02:02 PM.
Old 09-08-2021, 02:09 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,585 Likes on 4,652 Posts

laugh all you want. oil can go many thousands of hours. in the industrial world, oil is not changed unless bad samples turn up or a major over-haul is made.
A bit off track...We`re talking about motorcycle engines, not huge industrial engines...

All you need to do is change the oil and filter according to the manufacturer.

And you can switch brands any time you like, simple as that.

The following users liked this post:
hd4evr2008 (09-14-2021)
Old 09-08-2021, 06:10 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,779 Likes on 4,543 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
"Some lubricants interact chemically when mixed" well, yeah, I guess if you mix automatic transmission lube with motor oil...

Otherwise this is an absolutely ridiculous statement, it is nothing but a junk science scare tactic to make the owner continue to use Harley brand lubricants.

Any motor oil of the correct grade can be used and mixed, synthetic or conventional.
I understand, I'm not OCD over this stuff..just provided the OP an answer from the manufacturer as a benchmark to consider..I would have no problem switching and or mixing and matching etc if needed..I always stuck with one type and brand for no other reason that simplicity..was never one that felt the need to experiment..they all lubricate and protect..end of story

Old 09-08-2021, 07:19 PM
robarosa
Road Master
Received 548 Likes on 386 Posts

Dan; That's was on my mind but didn't put it down as simple as you did.
Still thought the Ice Cube guy look as pretty funny. haha
Man I love oil threads.

The following 2 users liked this post by robarosa:
Dan89FLSTC (09-09-2021), hd4evr2008 (09-14-2021)