Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Oil Temp Guage

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 08:35 AM
OnTheFence
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Temp Guage

The catalog states that for 07 and later models P/N 26133-07 needs to be purchased along with the Guage.

Do I need that if I intend to put the sensor in the oil pan?

When putting the sensor in the pan, what fittings do I need to purchase down at the HW store?

Old 12-25-2007, 10:57 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts
Default RE: Oil Temp Guage

No, you don't need the filter-adapter kit (26133-07). Just go buy a brass 3/8M-1/8F NPT adapter. I couldn't find it at Home Depot, Lowe's, or Auto Zone, but located one at Napa.

To anyone with an HD Premium oil oooler who prefers to use the HD method for mounting the sender, you also don't need the adapter kit. As the sender will be mounted on the tee included in the gauge kit, and that fitted on one of the cooler hoses. I can't imagine why anyone would want to mount it in that location, though.

Old 12-25-2007, 10:59 AM
DADDYO
Cruiser

[8D]
3/8" MaleNPT X 1/8" FemaleNPT fitting bought mine at NAPA parts store $1.55.Also do a search for oil temp gauge there are several excellent posts on the subject.

Old 12-25-2007, 02:13 PM
OnTheFence
Tourer

Thanks for the info!!!!!!

Old 12-31-2007, 10:06 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: iclick

the sender will be mounted on the tee included in the gauge kit, and that fitted on one of the cooler hoses. I can't imagine why anyone would want to mount it in that location, though.
Why not?

Old 01-01-2008, 02:15 PM
EZ2Rider
Road Master

good question Bob. On the old 88" motor the Harley Gauge sensor mounts in the oil line, leaving the crankcase headed back into the motor. It measures the oil temp ENTERING the system after cooling in the pan. IF the new directions have it entering the motor after the cooler (I am NOT familiar with the setup and don't have a cooler) it would be measuring the same value I guess but that doesn't seem likely due to the very different points in the circulation pattern.

Like to hear why from someone who really knows.

EZ

Old 01-03-2008, 03:01 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: bobcowan

ORIGINAL: iclick
the sender will be mounted on the tee included in the gauge kit, and that fitted on one of the cooler hoses. I can't imagine why anyone would want to mount it in that location, though.
Why not?
Here's the way I see it:

Sender in front with filter adapter 26133-07:

Pros: None
Cons: Much harder to install requiring filter removal, tee and hoses add to clutter around oil filter, costs $56 (MSRP).

Sender in front using existing oil cooler lines from adapter/thermostat housing:

Pros: Fairly easy to install by cutting existing hose
Cons: Adds to clutter around oil filter, will not read oil temperature accurately if at all until cooler thermostat opens.

Sender in pan:

Pros: Very easy to install, inexpensive.
Cons: Adapter costs $2 from Napa

I have a cooler and there's enough clutter around the filter area, so I wouldn't want more. If I didn't have a cooler I certainly wouldn't want to add hoses and a tee in that area if it wasn't necessary. The sender in the pan doesn't get in the way of anything.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:12 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see. It's not a functional issue, but a clutter /asthetic issue. But then don't you have to remove the sender every time you drain the oil? Does the sender go in the drain plug hole?

BTW, an oilthermostat is never completly closed. When cold/closed, it passes about 10-15% of the oil through the cooler. That way, all of the oil warms up to the same temp at the same rate. Otherwise, whenever the thermostat opens you'de get a cold slug of thick oil into a warm motor. In the winter, I cover the cooler on my car with clear duct tape.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:35 PM
EZ2Rider
Road Master

Bob, there are actually two places you can mount. Usingthe T adapter you can mount in the return line between the transmission and engine. This is the conventional installation of HD original equipment type gauge. It is a bear to do and getting the brass T into the space provided , splicing the existing line and re clamping it without causing a leak is tedious and frustrating. My dealer said never again after re installing my attempt which lasted three months and about 5K miles then started sucking air, causing a false zero pressure reading.

The easier installation is in the casting plug in the oil pan, the one with the big allen head that is sometimes mistaken for a drain. It requires using a step down bushing readily available at most hardware stores. It is in thepan and takes the temp there, making it at least similar to the return line installation called for in the instructions for 06 and earlier installations. Hope that helps. The casting plug installation mimics the Wally's gauge installation which is nearly identical to the HD gauge except for the install point.

EZ

Old 01-04-2008, 09:43 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: bobcowan
I see. It's not a functional issue, but a clutter /asthetic issue. But then don't you have to remove the sender every time you drain the oil? Does the sender go in the drain plug hole?
There are two drain plugs, the conventional one and another along side with an Allen head. You install the sender in the latter, not the one you use to drain your oil. I don't think mounting the sender near the filter is a functional problem, but unless a cooler is installed would be an unnecessary hassle and expense, IMO, for dubious functional gain. It's possible the oil in that location is closer to the temperature in the engine. I doubt if you'd have to remove the sender every time you change the filter, but I do have the cooler and it's quite cluttered with the hoses in the way, though not a big problem. I wouldn't want any more clutter, however.

BTW, an oilthermostat is never completly closed. When cold/closed, it passes about 10-15% of the oil through the cooler. That way, all of the oil warms up to the same temp at the same rate. Otherwise, whenever the thermostat opens you'de get a cold slug of thick oil into a warm motor. In the winter, I cover the cooler on my car with clear duct tape.
I've heard this is true and haven't personally tried mounting the sender near the cooler, but my statement was based on some comments by those who have. IIRC, the idea is that the temperature doesn't read 'til the thermostat opens, but it stands to reason it would read correctly if oil was flowing slowly. Maybe someone could pipe in a give a first-hand report.

Quick Reply: Oil Temp Guage