Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Amsoil, Snake Oil or the Real Deal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 01:11 PM
banjoez
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amsoil, Snake Oil or the Real Deal?

I have always had a hard time justifying using Amsoil in my bikes simply because of the way it is marketed. Was wondering if anyone else has the same feeling about buying a critical product like this through what seems like a network of self-promoting salesmen and websites. I would feel a lot better about it if it were sold mainstream and available off the shelf. I know there are probably some Amsoil dealers on this site and I am not trying to start an argument, but someone show me some truly INDEPENDENT research that proves that your product is as superior as you all claim it to be. Seems like all the research I see is always from Amsoil sources. Let me state that I have no vested interest in any oil companies, I am simply a fellow biker who has a healthy dose of cynicism when it comes to self-promoting statistics.

Old 06-27-2006, 01:18 PM
lschultz
Road Master
Default RE: Amsoil, Snake Oil or the Real Deal?

Just get you some and try it for a while and you be the judge. Its your bike and your money. I am not going to try and convince you one way or the other.

Old 06-27-2006, 02:02 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I could purchase Amsoil as easily and inexpensively as I do Mobil 1 V-twin, I'd run Amsoil. I'd say that sometimes their marketing, price and dealer network works to their disadvantage.

If I were Mr. Amsoil and owned the company, I'd get in bed with Walmart. Wallyworld would sell more oil through their network of stores than the sales process Amsoil uses now.

Old 06-27-2006, 02:24 PM
TxMoores
Road Warrior

I have run Amsoil, Mobil 1, Royal Purple, SYN 1, etc. and have had the best results from Royal Purple. This is based on pricing, fuel economy, engine temperature and availability. The availability was probably Amsoil's biggest detraction, next to its price and the rudeness by which the salesman exhibited when he asked why I quit asking for him for his product. (Quality doesn't come on sale, contaminants in _____ oil, temperature gage must be faulty, my loss by not using amsoil, etc. etc.) That was the clincher... almost felt like I had been freed from some type of cult....

Old 06-27-2006, 02:49 PM
Gmansitur
Advanced

I was first turned onto AMSOIL back in 1998 when I bought my first snowmobile. The sled was a 1994 SKI-DOO Formula Z with 6k miles on it. I remember the guy telling me that all he ran in the sled since day one was that AMSOIL and gave me 2 gallons with the sled. Since then I still own that sled with over 11K miles on it. That's a lot of miles for a two stroke. It's quite possible that I could have had the same results with any other oil, but it did make me a believer in the product. Since then I run everything from my weed whacker to my 06 RK STD. Try it for yourself and form your own opinion.

Old 06-27-2006, 03:15 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Amsoil, Mobil1Vtwin, Royal Purple are all Group IV Synthetics which are very very good oils. Redline is a Group V synthetic which is probably the best. HD Syn3, Castrol Syntec, Valvoline Syn are all Group III synthetics which are better than dino oil but usually priced so close to the others that why not use the better or best. Me.....I like Mobil1Vtwin 20w50 and will try redline 20w50 after this season is over and my engine has 4-5000 miles on it.

Any of the groupIV oils are fine......go for the lowest price. My $.02.

Old 06-27-2006, 03:34 PM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the stuff is pretty good. I can't get it on the road, so I don't use it. I use Mobile 1 V-Twin because I can find it at Auto Zone and for less money.

Old 06-27-2006, 03:59 PM
liltrk
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can order it online and they will bring it to your house. That seems pretty easy to me.

Old 06-27-2006, 04:07 PM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We have a GI Joe's here locally and they sell it right out of their store for the same price as Mobile 1. I chose Mobile 1 strictly because of Amsoil's marketing.

Why is Royal Purple's type IV yet no one on board uses it?
Does it make that big of difference when it comes to oil?

disclaimer: I should never azs questions in someone thread sorry.

Old 06-27-2006, 06:17 PM
bear95252
Cruiser

Here is what I know about oils from lots of research. A good place to start is an www.amsoil.com. On that page there is a link to a 28 page Motorcycle Oil study. It is the most comprehensive paper on oils that I have ever seen. True it was commissioned by AMSOIL butit was performed by and independant lab useing ASTM testing standards. (ASTM is to lubes what ASE is to hardware)

There where 16 oils tested. AMSOIL was #1 Mobil 1 V Twin was #2. Lucas was #12 of 16.. I personally run the AMSOIL 20/50 in the Engine and Primary of my 03 FLHTCUI and the AMSOIL 75/90 Severe Gear in the transmission. I ran Harley SYN 3 in all three holes when the bike was new then switched to AMSOIL and the differebnce was noticeable. AMSOIL does say that you can run the 20/50 in all three holes keeping in line with the Harley recommendation for SYN3 however, there are no EP (evtreme pressure) additives in motor oils. Oils with EP additives should not be used in an engine but are excellent for transmissions. The Harley Clunk is almost gone after using the Severe Gear in the Trans. So I run AMSOIL 20/50 in the engine and primary and 75/90 Severe Gear in the trans. A word of Caution. DO NOT run any oils with EP additives in bikes that share oil reservoir's with the engine and transmission. Ues only motor oils in these.

Another area that needs mentioning is that the change interval on AMSOIL is twice the OEM recommended change interval or 12 months which ever comes first.

I am now an AMSOiL dealer but did not become one until AFTER I did all the research and started using the lubes.

A little History for those of you that are interested. AMSOIL is the origional API approved synthetic motor oil that first came on the market in 1972. The carry the slogan. "First in Synthetics" That slogan had to be earned by proving through testing and letters to all the major oil companys to see if there where any rebuttals. No rebutals where submitted.

AMSOIL is sold through a dealer network for a couple of really good reasons. First of all in 1972 the oil sold for about $4.00 a qt. If you put it on the shelf next a $0.25 bottle of oil and you didn't know the difference, which one would you buy? AMSOIL tried that approach and almost went belly up. They decided to go to a MLM system (Multi Level Marketing system). where by dealers where there to explain the differences between Dino Oil and Synthetics. The other advantage is there is only so much profit in a quart of oil. All the major oil companys have a trememdous marketing budget so they can't afford to spend to much on the base stocks that the oils are made from. AMSOIL has mo marketing budget by comparison so they can afford to buy the best base stocks available and keep the cost per quart competive.

We all have choices to make and I have made mine. You can order AMSOIL on line or through a dealer. The only thing you need is a referal number. (dealer number). Mine is 1253625 if you wish to use it or get one from any dealer you know.

Good Luck.

Quick Reply: Amsoil, Snake Oil or the Real Deal?