Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Engine Oil vs Gear Oil

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 06:27 PM
dave anderson
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Red line

Old 08-31-2013, 10:10 PM
doc ock
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cpiper
After reading multiple responses on this topic I decided to do my own test. I have an 01 Road King that I have owned for about 3 years. I faithfully change oil every 3,000 miles and have used Syn3 in all three holes. The previous owner was surprised at the change in the way the engine sounded with the synthetic oil (he used petro based oil). In any case, being ready for an oil change I took out my Fluke infrared temperature probe, shined it on my front and back cylinders after some trips of varying lengths. Temperatures were showing an average of about 247 degrees. This time when changing the oil rather than Syn3, I moved to Red Line, using 20W 50 motorcycle oil, V twin Transmission Oil, and V Twin Primary Oil. This time I was surprised at the difference in sound. Even the exhaust changed tone. Once again I took out my temperature tester and pointed it at the front and back cylinders. The riding conditions were the same as before as far as distance and outside temperature. However, this time the Fluke tester showed an average temperature of about 227 degrees. A 20 degree drop by changing oil and using the proper formula in each area, primary, tranny, and engine. I plan on sticking with Red Line.
Now that is good data right there. You should do the same using HD360 and Formula+ and see what the numbers are.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:10 AM
kopper
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Tech72
First of all any oil other than Harley is just asking for trouble because i dont care who the manufacturer is nobody on this planet has done as much testing on air cooled engines as Harley i have used H-D oils in both of my bikes since i first bought mine in 1978 and my Shovelhead now has over 200,000 miles on it with a 90' motor and the bike runs better than most. My newer bike is a 2005 FLHTC with a 103' motor and all i use is the regular 20w50 and the new lube for trans and primary and this bike has over 28,000 miles on it in less than 2 yrs the bike makes 115hp and runs like spot butted ape. So use H-D and you will never have a problem. If you put that gear oil in a bike that still has warranty it will void it because it's not a factory recommened oil.
HI there , Does Harley Davidson have their own oil refinery ? Harley buys their oil SYN3 from one of the existing refineries , so WHO does Harley buy their oil from ? Yes synthetic oil is better , but which one is best ? I tried many synthetic oil in my bike . When the temp. drops 15 degrees with 20w/50 amsoil , I was sold . It is your baby . Do what ever you think is right . Regular oil changes is the most important . after that it is all up to you. kopper

Old 04-15-2014, 07:01 AM
halnwheels
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Molybdenym disulfide is a compound added to gear oils, CV joint grease, etc and provides shear resisting capabilites. In gear oil it's especially needed for helical cut gears where there is a lot of sliding gear interaction.

Originally Posted by y22c
Heavy metals do nothing for shear.

Heavy metals, if you mean zinc and phosphorus are for anti wear and oxidation stability.

30W lawnmower oil has lower levels of anti-wear due to the new "laws" as well as any one's diesel.

As far as cats not liking high zinc oils, I just don't believe it.

BMW has been using cats for decades and Spectro has been making their oil (high zinc) for decades and I have yet to hear of an issue.

Ken

Old 05-13-2014, 09:25 AM
LoyalWarrior
Stage I
Default Engine Oil vs Gear Oil

To date the best combination of lubricants that I have used for my 2012 Street Glide is all Redline Synthetics.

Redline 20w50 Full Synthetic for the Crankcase ((3.3 Qts))
Redline V-Twin Transmission Oil w/Shockproof for the Tranny ((1 Qt.))
Redline Primary Case Oil for the Primary ((38 ozs.))
Redline Complete Fuel System Cleaner for Motorcycles ((1 bottle))

The motorcycle runs great, stays cool, and shifts like butter.

In the case of my 2002 FatBoy and my brothers 2002 Heritage Springer, ((both bikes carburated)) the most recent combination of lubricants we used are:

AMSOil 20w50 Full Synthetic for Crankcase ((3 Qts))
Bel Ray Gear Saver Oil 85w140 for Tranny ((1 Qt.))
Bel Ray Primary Chaincase Oil for Primary ((1 Qt.))

The Heritage Springer has significantly less drag when starting and shifting. Both motorcycles are running great. I truly believe that using specific transmission and primary case oils is the smart thing to do. The all for one mentality is a money making ploy. Take care of your motorcycles and they will take care of you!!!!

Old 07-08-2014, 04:01 PM
CharliesHarley
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been thinking seriously about going back to regular oil from synthetic because it seems like the hot weather and synthetic (in south Florida) really thins it out and I hear a lot more valve train noise. Same for the primary. I know they say the synthetic run cooler, last longer and lubricates better. But face it I usually change my fluids every 1500 miles. Any thoughts??

Old 07-08-2014, 11:01 PM
Dusty Bones
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GRECOCJG@GMAIL.COM
I have been thinking seriously about going back to regular oil from synthetic because it seems like the hot weather and synthetic (in south Florida) really thins it out and I hear a lot more valve train noise. Same for the primary. I know they say the synthetic run cooler, last longer and lubricates better. But face it I usually change my fluids every 1500 miles. Any thoughts??
Thoughts?

My thought is you must be filling the motor with Mobil 1 or amsoil. Both make the most clicking clanking and clacking noises of any oil I ever heard in a Harley motor. Its why I will never run either.

In my experience the quietest JASO rated motorcycle oil is Castrol power RS 20w50. valvoline VR1 synthetic 20w50 is the quietest I have heard. That oil is designed to take a beating and laugh it off. Give it a try.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:08 PM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,848 Likes on 832 Posts

I use Mobil One and my bike sounds fine. No clattering at all.

Old 09-15-2014, 03:25 PM
Cobra1
Road Warrior

Received 1,289 Likes on 523 Posts

Originally Posted by hd4evr2008
I use Mobil One and my bike sounds fine. No clattering at all.
I second that

Old 09-16-2014, 11:41 AM
Fatboy1310
Intermediate

I agree Mobil 1 works great for me.

Quick Reply: Engine Oil vs Gear Oil