Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Amsoil

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 06:03 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by xwhyz1959
No need. We all know Amsoil is the best money can buy. I'm not only a user, I'm a dealer as well. So why was I always told to never use your own product?? Oh wait a minute, that was other things they were referring too. I remember now. Amsoils #1.
Yeah but the fake oil studies and advertising hype is like some gone bad moonie religion....it's like the Jihad of oil

Old 03-08-2011, 08:43 AM
Diesel2
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am from the great white north here and as far as the dealer saying Amsoil is no good I do not think they know what they are talking about. The HD dealer wants you to buy there crap they sell. You know how many HD mechs use Amsoil and lub oils that are not the HD line. They are most likely saying that because they want you to buy the HD lub oils that they sell. If they don't sell it so no profit made, wright?

Old 03-08-2011, 09:35 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 152 Posts

Why is it Harley doesn't have a "white ' paper or a blue paper or a red paper, and they sell more oil them amsoil? You don't have to order from anyone's house then wait for it to be delivered. The streets aren't littered with blown up Harley's, because they used Harley's oil. Does selling oil using the "Avon" method of sales really look professional?You can go by Harley shop and get their oil without having to order it, or know some secret handshake to get the discount price. When money gets tight and the price of gas goes up, people start looking for ways to save a little. And what better way to keep more $$$ in your pocket then to use any oil that does the job, is easier to get, and costs less then amsoil? .,,

Old 03-08-2011, 09:42 AM
Cazimere
Road Captain

I saw Amsoil for sale in an indy shop for 13.00 a qt. Is that about the going price ?

Old 03-08-2011, 11:41 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by big cahuna
Why is it Harley doesn't have a "white ' paper or a blue paper or a red paper, and they sell more oil them amsoil? You don't have to order from anyone's house then wait for it to be delivered. The streets aren't littered with blown up Harley's, because they used Harley's oil. Does selling oil using the "Avon" method of sales really look professional?You can go by Harley shop and get their oil without having to order it, or know some secret handshake to get the discount price. When money gets tight and the price of gas goes up, people start looking for ways to save a little. And what better way to keep more $$$ in your pocket then to use any oil that does the job, is easier to get, and costs less then amsoil? .,,
+1 I have some Syn3 in my enigne now. Runs fine plus the dealer put it in when they did my IPB job. They put Belray in the trans and Formula+ or Syn3 in the primary. Runs perfect. Most all of the MC rated oils are the same IMO...shop for the cheapest price...which is probably Mobil1 15w50 from Walmart.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:09 PM
xwhyz1959
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 1,430 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by Cazimere
I saw Amsoil for sale in an indy shop for 13.00 a qt. Is that about the going price ?
I get mine for $8.95 + shipping. I think my last case cost me about $125 shipping and all.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:29 PM
Samzilla
Advanced

Originally Posted by microwave
The Canadian HD shops Say the Amsoil motor oil in the trany not a good thing on the plastic or rubber seals ......will void the warranty on the newer models.
HD shops also said synthetic oil was bad and would void the warranty.....until HD sold their own brand.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:46 PM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I thought it was Amway oil????......Amway - Amsoil, plus the way it is distributed????????
They made good soap too!.......(no, I've never used it.....the soap yes, the oil no)

Old 03-08-2011, 11:50 PM
Samzilla
Advanced

What you say makes sense assuming both do the same job. It has been my experience that HD's SYN3 doesn't work as well in the tranny as gear lube from Redline, Amsoil or Mobile 1. Tranny shifts smoother, goes into neutral easier, and significantly reduces gear whine when using any of the last three. I'm currently using Redline which I got from my Harley dealer for the same price as SYN3. I'll bet many dealers have alternatives but just don't advertise it. Based on the results I've gotten from non- Harley alternatives, I'd make the effort and spend a little more for what has proven to be a better product. Cycle Gear stores carry Redline, Amsoil can be purchased at many local speed and performance shops, and Mobile 1 can be found under any rock. The proof is in the Tranny!

Last edited by Samzilla; 03-08-2011 at 11:57 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:26 AM
eric91379
Intermediate

Have Amsoil 20-50 in all three holes. Severe Gear is recommended for 6-speed trannys. Cost about $10 a quart at Chuck's Corvette Clinic in Waikiki with a military discount. Like it a lot. Runs cooler and shifts smoother then Syn3.

Quick Reply: Amsoil