Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

What oil anf filter to use on a 2005 1200R

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 01:10 PM
LordVngr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What oil anf filter to use on a 2005 1200R

Hey guys

What type of oil and filter does everybody use on their bikes. My sporty is coming up on 500 miles and I will be doing a oil and filter change. Going to be using the stock harley 20w50 for this change but will probably go with Amsoil synthetic after the steeler does the 1000 mile check.

My big concern at the moment is the filter. I was going to use the stock harley filter for this change but saw that the filter for the twin cam is a better filter (Filters to 10 microns) and that it would retro fit on my sportster.

I have since seen posts that say to Not Use this filter. Whats the straight scoop on this. Should I use this filter or shouldnt I and if not why. As always thanks for the feedback...

LV

Old 12-28-2004, 01:25 PM
hdsoul
Intermediate
Default RE: What oil anf filter to use on a 2005 1200R

Don't know about what others have said about using the other filters but I've been running the S.C. 20w 50 synthetic since my 5,000 mile service.It seems to have quieted the top end down a little bit and from the research I have done and what I have been told,it also keeps the bike about 15% cooler than regular oil.Only filters I use are the stock chrome filters from H.D. for the sporty.So far bikes running great at the 9,000 mile mark and I'll be changing it again at the 10,000 mile service.I usually change it every 2,500 or so.

Old 12-28-2004, 01:32 PM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 6 Posts

Everything I have ever read about filters said to stick with the stock filter. They are designed to your bike, and should not fail you.

I've always used stock filters on all my vehicles, but I highly recommend upgrading to the fully synthetic oil.

Mac

Old 12-28-2004, 02:52 PM
Phil R
Intermediate

I'm using Amsoil 20W50 and HD filter. Just switched and don't have any experience yet but I plan to put it in the tranny as well when the arctic temperatures subside.

Old 12-28-2004, 06:27 PM
LordVngr
Cruiser

Ok, stopped at a liitle motorcycle shop today and the lady was selling a filter with a brand name of EMGO. Personnaly I have never heard of it. She swore by them though. I stuck with just the spark plugs.

However I came home and found a website with some good stuff on it. Its a suzuki site But there are Lots of Good articles posted and Looks to me like he knows what he is talking about. I worked for napa as a parts guy about 6 years. Purolator make Good Filters and his site reccomends Purolator pure one filters and also Amsoil. while I know some of you might say but harley and jap motors are different I would say a quality product is a quality product no matter what bike it goes on. Scroll down to lubricants. check it out.

click here

LV

Old 12-28-2004, 08:09 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts

I've been using NAPA filters (made by Wix) and Mobil 1 15w-50 (car oil, not the over-priced V-Twin version). Wix makes good filters, and Mobil 1 is available from Wal Mart for about $20 for a 5 quart jug.

Old 12-28-2004, 09:15 PM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

LordVngr,I would stay with the H.D filter's,also put the one they recommend on your sporty. If the bike is under warranty and it blow's(God forbide),if they see some other filter but there's I'd say it would void the warranty.

Old 12-28-2004, 11:57 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts

As long as the filter meets the HD specs, it doesn't matter who makes it. If HD requires you to use their filter then they have to provide it to you free of charge. Falls under something called the Magnuson-Ross Warranty Act, or something similar in gooberment-ese.

Same goes for oil or any other "consumables" used on your bike, car, etc.

HD filters are OK. There are better filters out there, though. Their oil is OK, too. But there are better oils for way less bucks, too. Don't get sucked into the "I gotta have only jenuwine HD stuff, or my chrome will rot off" syndrome.

BTW, did I ever mention to y'all that I hate chrome? <VBG>

Old 12-29-2004, 12:05 AM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 6 Posts

LordV,

I looked over that guys website, and it really does have a lot of good information. No doubt that he has done his homework. [sm=smiley20.gif]

A few things stuck out when I read it, one of which was his recommendation on breaking in a new bike. To a layman like you and me, it seems reasonable, but it's not what the manufacturer of our bikes say to do. Why does this one guy seem to go against what basically every major motorcycle manufacturer says to do? There are guys here on the forum that work or have worked for Harley, I would be interested to hear what they say...

With that, I don't see the harm in changing the fluids in the bike ahead of schedule as he recommends. Can't hurt, and it's a small price to pay for potential longevity. How much increase in longevity? I don't think we'll ever know, so it's ultimately up to you.

The thing that comes to mind when I read his post is, "Will he be there when I have a problem[sm=smiley25.gif]" No, and all his good advice is for nothing. This would suck. Now you're standing in a Harley shop pointing at a webpage...[sm=badidea.gif]...you get the idea.

I recommend sticking with the Harley stuff, those guys are not idiots, and certainly, they have a team of Engine types that are working hard to figure out what's best for the product they are making/designing.

Good luck with it, I'm interested to hear what you finally decide. For me, I'm going fully synthetic on the first change (probably Mobile 1), and I'm going to stick with Harley filters.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Mac

Old 12-29-2004, 12:40 AM
jcc/tx
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I had my Sporty I used a ford filter that increased the oil capacity by a pint. Never had a problem using it and it cost a couple of dollars. As for oil I used 15w50 "Mystic 8", a Citgo product favored by many truckers. American Iron magazine ran a series of articles a few years back that pretty well debunked the "use HD" mantra and that is also what I've read many other places as well. The Ultra I just bought had just been serviced so I haven't had to decide what I will use in it's three holes yet, but I know it will be something I can get out here in the sticks and will not be HD.

Quick Reply: What oil anf filter to use on a 2005 1200R