Pan America Pan America Forum Only

Bluetooth headset compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2021, 09:41 AM
hdxbones
Cruiser
Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

I pair my phone and Cardo Packtalk headset to the bike. I pair my Garmin Monterra directly to the headset. The gps will overide bike controlled audio.

The following users liked this post:
3dognate (06-11-2021)
Old 06-11-2021, 02:35 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,473 Likes on 1,412 Posts

Originally Posted by hdxbones
I pair my phone and Cardo Packtalk headset to the bike. I pair my Garmin Monterra directly to the headset. The gps will overide bike controlled audio.
Exactly what I wanted to hear.

Thanks!

hdxbones (06-11-2021)
Old 06-24-2021, 08:17 AM
David V #44
Cruiser
Received 97 Likes on 57 Posts

I have a Shoei J Cruise 2 with the adaptable intercom that just clips in. Easy to pair with the bike. It makes the navigation system easier as the directions are clear to hear and arrive at the perfect time.
Went for a long test yesterday just north of Paris in areas that I have never been through. I wanted to see if I could find my way using only the instructions through the intercom without looking at the map and it was perfectly clear.
I really don't like the navigation system on the screen. It's so out of date. Why no Apple or Carplay ? The HD app online is only available for the Livewire not the Panam it seems. I would like to be able to plan trips with waypoints and this doesn't seem to be available.
I've only received a few calls on the headset yet and as I listen to music at max volume the incoming call was sooo loud. Apparently if you change the volume to take a call, it will stay in memory and not affect the music volume.
And the HD app doesn't seem to even let you save specific addresses like HOME or WORK. I have to look more into this...
This is my only gripe with this bike.

The following 2 users liked this post by David V #44:
3dognate (07-02-2021), North of You (06-24-2021)
Old 06-24-2021, 01:10 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,473 Likes on 1,412 Posts

Originally Posted by David V #44
I have a Shoei J Cruise 2 with the adaptable intercom that just clips in. Easy to pair with the bike. It makes the navigation system easier as the directions are clear to hear and arrive at the perfect time.
Went for a long test yesterday just north of Paris in areas that I have never been through. I wanted to see if I could find my way using only the instructions through the intercom without looking at the map and it was perfectly clear.
I really don't like the navigation system on the screen. It's so out of date. Why no Apple or Carplay ? The HD app online is only available for the Livewire not the Panam it seems. I would like to be able to plan trips with waypoints and this doesn't seem to be available.
I've only received a few calls on the headset yet and as I listen to music at max volume the incoming call was sooo loud. Apparently if you change the volume to take a call, it will stay in memory and not affect the music volume.
And the HD app doesn't seem to even let you save specific addresses like HOME or WORK. I have to look more into this...
If you use the HD Route Planner on a computer, you can add waypoints and via points. Then the routes planned on the computer will automatically sync to the HD app and you can use those routes on the bike. Personally, I find it much easier to do route planning on my Mac anyway.

But nonetheless, the HD app should really have the capability for waypoints and via points.

Old 06-24-2021, 02:48 PM
dceggert
Road Master
Received 497 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by David V #44
Harley did update it to use dirt roads before the PA launch. Also, I tried using it about 2 years ago and had a real hard time figuring it out. It has come a long way since then! Maybe HD will keep improving it. I would like to see trails added like what are available in Gaia Maps (gaiagps.com) for instance.

Old 06-25-2021, 07:45 AM
btreinen
Intermediate
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

I've got a Cardo Packtalk Bold and while both it and my phone paired easily I've got pretty severe audio dropouts when playing streaming (Spotify, radio, etc), music on the phone, etc. Frequency of occurrence while playing varies but sometimes it's as many as 20-30 times per song, the drops last for fractions of a second but are pretty annoying. I have no issue with phone calls, those are rock solid as it uses a different "channel" within the Bluetooth connection. It's an issue that Harley knows about, is working on, and appears to be confined to the Cardo Packtalk units, both Slim and Bold. The other Cardo units don't do it, Sena units don't do it (Sena makes the HD Boom units). Other than the dropouts I find this really a great feature and while I don't typically feed GPS directions through the headset that works fine as well. The Pan Am is so much quieter than my Switchback is that I find I have to turn the volume down quite a bit when on the PA!

Old 06-25-2021, 08:33 AM
David V #44
Cruiser

Originally Posted by adm
If you use the HD Route Planner on a computer, you can add waypoints and via points. Then the routes planned on the computer will automatically sync to the HD app and you can use those routes on the bike. Personally, I find it much easier to do route planning on my Mac anyway.

But nonetheless, the HD app should really have the capability for waypoints and via points.
• Well the HD app doesn't seem to have the option of adding waypoints or I just haven't found it yet. It gives alternative routes but you can't add a waypoint.
• I checked out the HD planner on line which is a great tool that I didn't know about it so that's good news. Thanks for the tip there. Perfect.
• And this morning it occurred to me that using the HD app with the Panam will drain the battery and of course with the phone in my pocket and the USB C socket a long way away, seems this hasn't been thought through. No wonder it seems so many of you are adding a phone mount or even a Garmin because the HD app doesn't show you any details - and certainly no radar spots, which I would get through Waze.
It's annoying. Apart from that I love the bike ! Got my first speeding ticket today for being 1mph over the limit. There are times...

Old 07-06-2021, 11:06 AM
paul463
Novice
Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hdxbones
Someone must have paired a headset by now, any reviews to report?
hdxbones;

I picked my PA Special up on 7/2. On 7/3, i was able to connect my iPhone 11 Pro Max, Cardo Packtalk Bold, and the H-D and the music functions were working fine.
I could change tracks, volume, etc from the controls on the bike and view the album info on the H-D screen.
On 7/4; I went for a 250 mile ride and nothing seemed to work. I could not get the system to work like it did the day before! The system listed my PackTalk Bold as connected, yet I could not get the bike's buttons to control the volume, tracks, etc.

I have no idea what changed from one day to the next. I guess I will delete all pairings and start over. But as a side note and knowing HD's proclivity for not wanting to work well with third party vendors; I ordered a Garmin Zumo XT and will use that for my NAV and music needs.

Old 07-06-2021, 03:53 PM
3dognate
Tourer
Received 340 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by paul463
hdxbones;

I picked my PA Special up on 7/2. On 7/3, i was able to connect my iPhone 11 Pro Max, Cardo Packtalk Bold, and the H-D and the music functions were working fine.
I could change tracks, volume, etc from the controls on the bike and view the album info on the H-D screen.
On 7/4; I went for a 250 mile ride and nothing seemed to work. I could not get the system to work like it did the day before! The system listed my PackTalk Bold as connected, yet I could not get the bike's buttons to control the volume, tracks, etc.
I had that happen, music would not resume. I had to close my Apple Music app and restart it, must be a bluetooth thing. Happens in my Jeep once in a while too.

Old 07-07-2021, 10:53 AM
David V #44
Cruiser

Originally Posted by paul463
hdxbones;

I have no idea what changed from one day to the next. I guess I will delete all pairings and start over. But as a side note and knowing HD's proclivity for not wanting to work well with third party vendors; I ordered a Garmin Zumo XT and will use that for my NAV and music needs.
I've had that happen a couple of times. I've put in routes on the app, start out only to see a message that says there is no map. So pull over, choose the same route and all is fine.
I've also had the music just disappear or the controls do nothing. So reboot and all works again. I hope they're just teething problems but it's obvious that the nav system has not been thought through or tested long enough.
I haven't ditched my TomTom yet just in case.
Doesn't keep the time right either.

hdxbones (07-11-2021)

Quick Reply: Bluetooth headset compatibility