Pan America Pan America Forum Only

2021 Pan America is sold out

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2021, 08:14 AM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,975 Likes on 2,360 Posts

Originally Posted by GOV5
Dave, I was wondering what the "sold out" statement really meant too. In fact, I am now wondering how a published sales number from Harley Davidson is derived. I have never had it explained definitively. What constitutes a "sale" at Harley-Davidson? Is it when it is shipped to a dealer? Or is it when a Dealer sells a unit to a CUSTOMER?

Here's the statement Zeitz made: " Those who now own or have tested one of our Pan America’s absolutely love this bike – having sold out of our 2021 allocation, we are excited about what the future has in store for Pan America and for the Adventure Touring category at Harley-Davidson.”

To me, that statement means that they have MADE, and SHIPPED, to the DEALERS, all the Pan Am units for 2021. That means that the dealers can't get any more until 2022, so whatever is in the dealer network now is all that will be made and shipped this year. If indeed that is the correct view of what Zeitz said, then the way Harley counts, they are indeed "sold out".

I'd like to hear how others here interpret his remarks. Zeitz's remarks seem to always have a lot of "corporate speak" in them, and usually up for interpretation. That really doesn't help with the "trust issue" has is trying to overcome either. My opinion only, but that's the way I see it.
Harley is still building the 2021 Pan America. My local dealer forecast has them coming in for the next three months.

Harley knows how many they can build for the 2021 model year. Dealers have put in orders for them. At this point in time, Harley has received all the orders that they can fill before the next model year. So Harley the motor company is sold out of what they can build. Dealers will still be receiving bikes. Some dealers may have all their incoming Pan Americas as sold orders, while others have orders that will be on the floor. My local dealer has both several sold orders like mine, and several more for the floor.

So Harley the Motor Company is sold out of the Pan America, but dealers are not yet sold out of it.

Old 09-02-2021, 01:51 PM
Puglia10
Road Warrior
Received 480 Likes on 231 Posts

Yeah I called my 3 closest dealers to schedule a test ride (want to be sure, before I sell my RG) and all three said they don't have one anymore, but are expecting one or two in the next 2 weeks. We shall see. Hopefully theyre not sold before I can do a test ride.

Old 09-02-2021, 06:21 PM
AFSOC_Commando
Tourer
Received 134 Likes on 88 Posts

I sat on the PAS and I have a 29" inseam and was able to touch the floor with the ***** of both feet at the same time in sneakers. It was the stock seat in the low position, so with the Reach seat and my riding boots I think I may have been able to flat foot the bike. There are very few bikes I am able to do this with!

I have to actually slide my *** off the seat of my Uly to tripod the damn bike. I am seriously considering selling the Uly and picking up the PAS at this point, but the ol lady is giving me hell for having 6 bikes in the stable at this point.... I do believe that I will have one by next summer anyway....

Old 09-02-2021, 09:31 PM
supernac
Tourer
Received 234 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Bunker
Adventure bikes, you have to catch them in their natural habitat and that requires another adventure bike
Starbucks?

The following 3 users liked this post by supernac:
Bunker (09-03-2021), HuntWhenever (09-03-2021), TriGeezer (09-02-2021)
Old 09-02-2021, 10:21 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,506 Likes on 11,218 Posts

Took this picture of 2 adventure bikes, in Durango during a trip last summer. To me this pretty much sums it up on how most adventure bikes are ridden. Come on man…who covers their bike…under a cover?
Yes, those are our Harleys behind them.

Old 09-03-2021, 09:34 AM
dceggert
Road Master
Received 497 Likes on 261 Posts

Oh come on, the seat gets wet overnight and that makes it tough to leave in the morning getting wet butt syndrome.

Old 09-04-2021, 07:54 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,454 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by Bunker
Thanks Bunker! There was a lot of info about recalls and stuff in that article, especially about the claim of being the top seller of adventure bikes, which I could care less about.
But I finally found the sentence about how Harley counts sales figures, which is: Shipments to DEALERS, not SALES TO CUSTOMERS. That is how I thought the sale figure was derived, but I had never seen any documentation that proved it. This article definitely proved it.

With that being said now, it also proves what I had thought about sales in the past. Harley can artificially "bump up" so-called sales figures by pushing out units to the dealers showrooms at the end of accounting periods, thus showing sales figures that aren't really sales to customers yet. That 'Bloat" sits the dealers inventory and when didn't have the demand for those bikes being pushed upon them. It also costs the dealers more for financing of those inventoried bikes. I'm sure that aggravated dealers so maybe this new reduced production plan that Zeitz bragged about really came from the dealers themselves rather than some "brainstorm" idea of Zeitz himself. It's no wonder that Harley was discounting bikes because of heavy inventory, when Harley Corp was really the cause of the bloated dealer inventory in the first place.

Anyway, I thanks you so much for providing the clarfication of "SALES" as Harley defines it.

Old 09-04-2021, 08:09 AM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member
Received 424 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by GOV5
Thanks Bunker! There was a lot of info about recalls and stuff in that article, especially about the claim of being the top seller of adventure bikes, which I could care less about.
But I finally found the sentence about how Harley counts sales figures, which is: Shipments to DEALERS, not SALES TO CUSTOMERS. That is how I thought the sale figure was derived, but I had never seen any documentation that proved it. This article definitely proved it.

With that being said now, it also proves what I had thought about sales in the past. Harley can artificially "bump up" so-called sales figures by pushing out units to the dealers showrooms at the end of accounting periods, thus showing sales figures that aren't really sales to customers yet. That 'Bloat" sits the dealers inventory and when didn't have the demand for those bikes being pushed upon them. It also costs the dealers more for financing of those inventoried bikes. I'm sure that aggravated dealers so maybe this new reduced production plan that Zeitz bragged about really came from the dealers themselves rather than some "brainstorm" idea of Zeitz himself. It's no wonder that Harley was discounting bikes because of heavy inventory, when Harley Corp was really the cause of the bloated dealer inventory in the first place.

Anyway, I thanks you so much for providing the clarfication of "SALES" as Harley defines it.
With all that being said...You would be hard pressed to find any Pan Ams's available for sale at the dealerships.

Old 09-04-2021, 09:15 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,454 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by aviscomi
With all that being said...You would be hard pressed to find any Pan Ams's available for sale at the dealerships.
OH, I totally agree with you, 100%. With the PanAm, "sold out" means both from Harley Corp AND DEALERS. Like you said, there aren't many unsold units, if any to be found.

What I was discussing with Bunker was not really a Pan Am situation. It was more of an overall history of ALL Harley bike sales and what really consitituted a "SALE" that could be posted in an annual report, and a P&L Statement. In the past roughly 2+ years, approx., Harley has used "enhanced accounting measures " to quote sales that, in my opinion, weren't really sales. They were merely "inventory transfers" from Harley Corp to dealerships. That's why we all saw showrooms full of bikes, but few actual buyers. And at the same time, we were hearing Harley claim increasing sales year over year. NOW we know that we as consumers and Harley customers don't get actual sales figures to customers at all.

How does Harley get away with this arguably misleading practice, so as to fool Wall Street Investors? Well, how many rich stockmarket investment firms, etc. have folks that actually own ANY KIND of motorcycle, much less a Harley? They are looking at Corporate Guidance Statements that are published, annual and quarterly reports and P&L statements to see how it "appears" a stock is doing and if they want to bet on it. Remember, the amount of folks like us here at the forum are such a small amount of people in the overall scheme of things. Most of us know how our local dealer is fairing. If we were a skillet of cornbread, we collectively would be enough in numbers to even be considered crumbs. LOL!

Old 09-04-2021, 09:20 AM
otto.maddox
Cruiser
Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

I test rode one back in July. I want one. But I want one with spoke rims (harder to find) which at the time the dealer said they couldn't locate.

Plus the accessories are even harder to get. I'd like at least the side cases.

I'd have bought it that day if it had spoke rims though. Fun bike.

I've seen two in the wild in my area (SF Bay Area).. I saw a few at Sturgis (in the wild.. not demo riders) as well.

Quick Reply: 2021 Pan America is sold out