Pan America Pan America Forum Only

getting it up on the centerstand

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2021, 08:12 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,454 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by aviscomi
I gave up try to get mine up on the CS. I was successful 1 or 2 times out of 50 attempts. I guess my skinny 140lb *** just isn't enough weight on the stand.
This thread reminds me of the "Lifting a fallen bike" methods....i.e., there's a "trick" to it. Yeah, I suppose there is, but it still helps to have strength too, especially in the legs.
Aviscomi, I NEVER could get my Honda ST1300 up on the center stand, and I quit trying because I was afraid of dropping it to the opposite side of me. And the ST1300 ONLY weighed 730 lbs. Even at 6'2" and 180lbs I still couldn't do it. I just never could do the leverage thing correctly. So don't fell like the Lone Ranger if you can't get your PanAm on the center stand.

Maybe one of the fellows ere could do a quick instructional Youtube video on how to do it. That would be helpful to others here. If you do a search of Max McAllister at TraxxionDynamics, I believe he shows how to put the GoldWing 2018+ bike on the stand. He makes it look SOOO easy.

Old 09-26-2021, 08:18 AM
3dognate
Tourer
Received 340 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
Thanks.

"Commit" will do nothing if you've got the bike balanced on one leg of the center stand. Other than guarantee a hernia.
Well of course...

Old 09-26-2021, 08:37 AM
doxbike
Tourer
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

I'll bite...what's "PAS"?
PanAmericaSpecial

Old 09-26-2021, 08:41 AM
doxbike
Tourer

Originally Posted by GOV5
This thread reminds me of the "Lifting a fallen bike" methods....i.e., there's a "trick" to it. Yeah, I suppose there is, but it still helps to have strength too, especially in the legs.
Aviscomi, I NEVER could get my Honda ST1300 up on the center stand, and I quit trying because I was afraid of dropping it to the opposite side of me. And the ST1300 ONLY weighed 730 lbs. Even at 6'2" and 180lbs I still couldn't do it. I just never could do the leverage thing correctly. So don't fell like the Lone Ranger if you can't get your PanAm on the center stand.

Maybe one of the fellows ere could do a quick instructional Youtube video on how to do it. That would be helpful to others here. If you do a search of Max McAllister at TraxxionDynamics, I believe he shows how to put the GoldWing 2018+ bike on the stand. He makes it look SOOO easy.
I got my ST1300 up quite easily by doing exactly the same as the initial post. It helps to grab lift point as low as you can.

Old 09-26-2021, 08:43 AM
doxbike
Tourer

Originally Posted by aviscomi
I gave up try to get mine up on the CS. I was successful 1 or 2 times out of 50 attempts. I guess my skinny 140lb *** just isn't enough weight on the stand.
You might try running the rear tire up on a 2x6 and do that a few times to get the "feel" of what it takes. Once you're successful consistently with that, try without the board. , And wear hard-soled shoes/boots!

The following users liked this post:
TN-Squirrel (09-26-2021)
Old 09-26-2021, 09:34 AM
nomoreyellowfootprints
Cruiser

Received 386 Likes on 97 Posts

"Maybe one of the fellows ere could do a quick instructional Youtube video on how to do it. That would be helpful to others here. If you do a search of Max McAllister at TraxxionDynamics, I believe he shows how to put the GoldWing 2018+ bike on the stand. He makes it look SOOO easy."

Here's a short video showing my center stand technique. This may not work for everyone but it works for me on both my ElectaGlide and Heritage SofTail Classic.

Old 09-26-2021, 10:06 AM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member
Received 424 Likes on 255 Posts

That center stand is half the length/size of the Pan Am

The following users liked this post:
doxbike (09-26-2021)
Old 09-26-2021, 10:22 AM
nomoreyellowfootprints
Cruiser

Received 386 Likes on 97 Posts

Maybe you could post a video and show everyone how it is accomplished.

Old 09-26-2021, 10:56 AM
DEPANAM
Cruiser
Received 89 Likes on 61 Posts

This is the trick/key. None of my Harleys had a center stand, so when I got my Goldwing, at 833 pounds, I hadn't put a motorcycle on a center stand in...what...50 years. And none of them weighed over 400 pounds.

You MUST get the bike centered on the center stand's two legs before you try to lift. If you don't do that, you are literally trying to hoist the entire weight of the bike onto a single point; the one foot of the center stand that is on the ground. Ain't gonna happen.

Hold the center stand down, rock the bike away from you, yes, I know it's scary, until you feel the right side of the center stand plunk down on the ground. Then, simply hold your weight down on the lever and push down and pull up at the same time.

I can get my 833-pound bike up wearing slippers.
Agree. The 'trick' is to put one's right foot on the center stand lever, push down until the left center stand foot touches the ground. Rock the bike away from you till you can feel the right center stand foot also contact. THEN you put all your weight on your right foot on the center stand lever. Your right hand lifts (not much) and the bike will pop onto the stand very easily. Of the 10 or so 500# or more bikes I've owned, this is one of the easiest to put on the center stand. If you're nervous about it, have someone spot you on the other side. It really is that easy.
Also agree that not allowing the jiffy stand to retract while on the center stand is idiotic.

BTW, Max McAllister is a great guy. Ask him about his boat charter captain days. He was a lot of help with critiquing my logic and materials, when I had to go after BMW in Court over a K1600B.

Old 09-26-2021, 11:06 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,473 Likes on 1,412 Posts

There's another little trick to it - on this and every other bike with a centre stand.

Make sure to face forward to the front of the bike - do NOT stand sideways on to it. Left hand on the left grip, right hand on a bit of the frame.

Make sure both legs of the CS are on the ground and put a little tension on the lever with your right foot. Then just stand on it with the rest of your body weight. You won't need to lift it upwards or backwards and you won't even need hard soled boots. I can do it easily in my Crocs.

Quick Reply: getting it up on the centerstand