Pan America Pan America Forum Only

BCM and EHCU codes

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2022, 09:57 AM
3dognate
Tourer
Received 340 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by FLSTFI Dave
BCM Code C181014C Front preload piston position circuit shorted to ground/open, was not active for my 56 mile ride to the dealer. They ran diagnostics on the bike, nothing. They called tech support and explained what bike was doing on and off, nothing. All suspension plugs checked. nothing.

On the 56 mile ride home, 20 miles from home I get the code, turn around to head back to dealer and in 10 miles clears its self.

Frustrating to say the least.
I'd be tempted to pull the tank off and go through the wiring harness connections with pin tool and make certain that all the pins the harness connectors are seated well and hit them with some Deoxit and ACF-50.

My buddy's 2020 RGS was plagued with throwing codes and the dealer service could not find anything wrong ever. The techs really dug in to trouble shoot it too.... wasn't out of laziness at the dealer. Before really raising the issue with H-D. He finally went through all the connections he could get to (probably 95%) and afterward no more codes. So. that's something to try if it's in your skill-set or to raise to the service dept.

The following users liked this post:
FLSTFI Dave (04-09-2022)
Old 04-08-2022, 10:35 AM
David V #44
Cruiser
Received 97 Likes on 57 Posts

I've also had one occasion when the diagnostic wasn't available. After a while - maybe 2-3 weeks code cleared on it's own.
However... bike back to HD for the seat handle and TFT update last week. Actually didn't start first time when I got on it !
Since 2 updates ago I have hard start problems nearly every day. Not on the first start of the day but usually on the return trip. Happened just 10 mins ago.
I log all my error codes since October of last year. But last week I had a new one B231362 - Ride mode signal failure ?
Here's a list of all the codes I've had so far. The top two are the most frequent.

I've also had the bike working with just a O on a totally black screen but not the rest of the speedo graphics. Never a dull moment.

U044387 Invalid date from RHCM
U043187 Invalid date from LHCM
B11B492 Ride mode switch performance
B11B992 Front brake switch performance
C056200 ABS/EHCU voltage low
U010000 Lost communication with ECM/VSC
U0125F0 Lost communication with IMU
U0125F1 Lost communication with IMU
U0125F2 Lost communication with IMU
U014000 Lost communication with BCM
U014100 Lost communication with LHCM
U014200 Lost communication with RHCM
U130500 ?
B231362 BCM Ride mode signal failure

Old 04-08-2022, 10:56 AM
3dognate
Tourer

Originally Posted by David V #44
I've also had one occasion when the diagnostic wasn't available. After a while - maybe 2-3 weeks code cleared on it's own.
However... bike back to HD for the seat handle and TFT update last week. Actually didn't start first time when I got on it !
Since 2 updates ago I have hard start problems nearly every day. Not on the first start of the day but usually on the return trip. Happened just 10 mins ago.
I log all my error codes since October of last year. But last week I had a new one B231362 - Ride mode signal failure ?
Here's a list of all the codes I've had so far. The top two are the most frequent.

I've also had the bike working with just a O on a totally black screen but not the rest of the speedo graphics. Never a dull moment.

U044387 Invalid date from RHCM
U043187 Invalid date from LHCM
B11B492 Ride mode switch performance
B11B992 Front brake switch performance
C056200 ABS/EHCU voltage low
U010000 Lost communication with ECM/VSC
U0125F0 Lost communication with IMU
U0125F1 Lost communication with IMU
U0125F2 Lost communication with IMU
U014000 Lost communication with BCM
U014100 Lost communication with LHCM
U014200 Lost communication with RHCM
U130500 ?
B231362 BCM Ride mode signal failure
Anytime I've had a "Lost communication" message on any Can Bus Harley it's been a harness connector issue 100%.

Old 04-09-2022, 06:19 AM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,975 Likes on 2,360 Posts

Originally Posted by 3dognate
I'd be tempted to pull the tank off and go through the wiring harness connections with pin tool and make certain that all the pins the harness connectors are seated well and hit them with some Deoxit and ACF-50.

My buddy's 2020 RGS was plagued with throwing codes and the dealer service could not find anything wrong ever. The techs really dug in to trouble shoot it too.... wasn't out of laziness at the dealer. Before really raising the issue with H-D. He finally went through all the connections he could get to (probably 95%) and afterward no more codes. So. that's something to try if it's in your skill-set or to raise to the service dept.
With my code coming and going and indicating its shorted to ground or open, I would say its a plug, ground connection or the actual sensor. I'm not sure where this plug is, or the sensor. Next time I'm over there I will have them check pins in plug and its ground.

3dognate (04-09-2022)
Old 04-14-2022, 07:21 PM
3dognate
Tourer

So, I just got my PAS home from getting the 5k Service, software updates, recalls done. This didn't go super well... got the call yesterday that the bike was cleaned and ready. Went there today after work and they rolled the bike out for me. I paid. ($360 for the 5k service.... not awful) then went to leave and the bike wouldn't start. They pulled it back in and they installed a new battery under warranty... bike started right up and seemed happy.

I get home after a brutal hour ride in crazy wind... have dinner and decide to go out and pair my new phone with the bike and set the clock to make sure that is all working well now. Then I check for diagnostic codes for giggles. There were 10 EHCU codes but when I tried to get to the codes, I get the ""failed to respond to diagnostic request" message. there were a few codes in other modules but they were historic and I was able to see and clear them. But not the EHCU. After that Powered the bike on and pushed the start button and nothing. Cycled off and back on and still nothing. Went back in the house to get my phone to take pics of the screens. Powered it back on and the thing started right up. Still unable to get diagnostics on the EHCU...

Also the ID#s for my modules are not showing up in diagnostics now. Something is amiss... calling Customer Care tomorrow and at least logging a ticket. It's an hour to my dealer, so not super easy to just "pop" in so I'll see what Customer Care says and see if we can come up with a solid solution plan between CC & the dealership.

I suspect that they did not update all modules and just applied the recall. But we'll see.

Last edited by 3dognate; 04-14-2022 at 08:24 PM.
Old 04-15-2022, 05:53 PM
Prykey
Advanced
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

So, I just got my PAS home from getting the 5k Service, software updates, recalls done. This didn't go super well... got the call yesterday that the bike was cleaned and ready. Went there today after work and they rolled the bike out for me. I paid. ($360 for the 5k service.... not awful) then went to leave and the bike wouldn't start. They pulled it back in and they installed a new battery under warranty... bike started right up and seemed happy.

I get home after a brutal hour ride in crazy wind... have dinner and decide to go out and pair my new phone with the bike and set the clock to make sure that is all working well now. Then I check for diagnostic codes for giggles. There were 10 EHCU codes but when I tried to get to the codes, I get the ""failed to respond to diagnostic request" message. there were a few codes in other modules but they were historic and I was able to see and clear them. But not the EHCU. After that Powered the bike on and pushed the start button and nothing. Cycled off and back on and still nothing. Went back in the house to get my phone to take pics of the screens. Powered it back on and the thing started right up. Still unable to get diagnostics on the EHCU...

Also the ID#s for my modules are not showing up in diagnostics now. Something is amiss... calling Customer Care tomorrow and at least logging a ticket. It's an hour to my dealer, so not super easy to just "pop" in so I'll see what Customer Care says and see if we can come up with a solid solution plan between CC & the dealership.

I suspect that they did not update all modules and just applied the recall. But we'll see.

The recall for the display is downloaded from a USB stick via the USB socket on the bike, updates to the ECM, BCM or any other modules would require the digital technician to be plugged into the data port on the bike. My bike has had both recalls done however I don’t believe that any of the modules have been updated using the digital technician and I believe that this stems from an issue whereby H-D apparently advised dealerships not to perform one particular module update as it would render the bike inoperable?! They are probably worried that this is still the case however I am aware that other owners have had these updates done as one of the bonuses is that it sorts out the hill hold feature so that it operates for longer than 10-seconds so it’s easy to know if you’ve been updated or not!

Old 04-15-2022, 09:49 PM
3dognate
Tourer

Originally Posted by Prykey
The recall for the display is downloaded from a USB stick via the USB socket on the bike, updates to the ECM, BCM or any other modules would require the digital technician to be plugged into the data port on the bike. My bike has had both recalls done however I don’t believe that any of the modules have been updated using the digital technician and I believe that this stems from an issue whereby H-D apparently advised dealerships not to perform one particular module update as it would render the bike inoperable?! They are probably worried that this is still the case however I am aware that other owners have had these updates done as one of the bonuses is that it sorts out the hill hold feature so that it operates for longer than 10-seconds so it’s easy to know if you’ve been updated or not!
I spoke to my service tech today and he's going to get with H-D on Tuesday and give them my issue and see what they advise. Doesn't sound like I'm the first with the issue, so we'll see what course of action they advise to take.

My software version for the Infotainment unit appears to be correct... maybe there's more to be done to make the thing "whole" than just the recall??? Perhaps my tech made some assumptions and didn't follow a procedure that needs to be rigid step-by-step. We'll find out next week.

Old 04-16-2022, 07:28 AM
Bunker
Stellar HDF Member

Received 468 Likes on 307 Posts

mine threw a $hit ton of codes after the update too and unable to clear some. I mentioned it on the 10K but didn't even check if they addressed it.

No issues on my 1700 mile trip last weekend and I have a few hundred today.

Goes in for new shoes and radiator hose replacement on Friday, I'll double check then but will continue to check this thread.

3dognate (04-16-2022)
Old 04-16-2022, 01:50 PM
3dognate
Tourer

Originally Posted by Bunker
mine threw a $hit ton of codes after the update too and unable to clear some. I mentioned it on the 10K but didn't even check if they addressed it.

No issues on my 1700 mile trip last weekend and I have a few hundred today.

Goes in for new shoes and radiator hose replacement on Friday, I'll double check then but will continue to check this thread.
I don't much care to leave stuff unresolved... so I'm going to try to make sure that my diagnostic screen works as intended. Surely they've not decided to break everyone's bike and know a fix or can come up with one. The techs are gonna really need to know these bikes and their maintenance & repair well with three Revolution Max models available now and at least one more that we know of on the way. But I suspect we'll see even more. These motors and their software will be solid as a twin cam soon enough.

Old 04-17-2022, 01:04 AM
RevenantDescent
Cruiser
Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

I don't much care to leave stuff unresolved... so I'm going to try to make sure that my diagnostic screen works as intended. Surely they've not decided to break everyone's bike and know a fix or can come up with one. The techs are gonna really need to know these bikes and their maintenance & repair well with three Revolution Max models available now and at least one more that we know of on the way. But I suspect we'll see even more. These motors and their software will be solid as a twin cam soon enough.
At current this screen is full of things that are highly ignored by techs and repeat codes from phantom sources and bad wiring. So instead of being helpful its become almost entirely redundant

3dognate (04-17-2022)

Quick Reply: BCM and EHCU codes