Pan America Pan America Forum Only

Test ride not impressed

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2023, 08:23 PM
ChocolateCake
Cruiser
Received 67 Likes on 39 Posts

For the Panam if you shift at 8000rpm (actually 7700 - 7800) and don't let the rpm drop below 7000 rpm.
Shift between max torque and max power and don't let rpm drop below max torque ( 6800 -7000 ).
Very quick and not even in Sport mode. Also the quickshifter takes the bike into a whole new class of crazy.

Old 07-30-2023, 09:14 AM
FLS103
Road Warrior
Received 240 Likes on 154 Posts

I am the OP and wanted to give an update after a second test ride.
My preferred dealer (Boswell's in Nashville) did not have a PA in stock, so I went on my original ride at Moonshine in Franklin, TN, I followed the salesman who was riding an old twin cam Fat Bob, we rode in town on smooth as glass roads and on a few twisty backroads, never got over 45-50 mph. The salesman did not go over the bike or controls with me, our first turn was a right-hand turn, I do not know what I might have turned on or off when I attempted to turn on the right-hand signal with the right-hand controls.
I contacted Niko at Boswell's, he arranged for me to ride the owner's bike for a test ride, the only mods to this bike are an aftermarket exhaust (Dr. Jeckel and Mr. Hyde) and 2" risers. Niko rides a Pan America himself; he took the time to go over the bike and the controls before our ride, he then led the ride on his PA. This ride was mostly through an industrial section of town with beat up roads, then we got on Briley Parkway and hit faster speeds. The PA in road mode absorbed all the bumps, dips, manhole covers and railroad crossings with ease; this was great for my old back. The engine was also much more responsive in the higher RPMs and higher speeds (which I will not disclose).
Long story short, I ordered a new PA special, the dealer will install a Jeckel and Hyde exhaust, 2" risers and do a little paint work before I pick it up. Delivery is expected the week of the 14th.

The following 11 users liked this post by FLS103:
3dognate (08-01-2023), benjamin lorenzo (08-02-2023), Bunker (07-31-2023), ChocolateCake (07-30-2023), FatBob2018 (07-30-2023), motorbtr (08-03-2023), MTBIG G (08-01-2023), North of You (07-31-2023), Puglia10 (08-28-2023), Stangallmotor (08-18-2023), user 7298720 (08-02-2023) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-30-2023, 06:01 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,473 Likes on 1,412 Posts

Originally Posted by joerockstar
Ok fair enough. One thing to note is that the Pan Am does NOT run like a big twin. My Road Glide with a 117 has gobs of torque down low but the Pan Am doesn't come alive until 4k rpm. It'll feel like a dog at 2500 by comparison.
Hell no. It does come alive at 4K, but it really gets going from 6K to 9K. That's where the fun is at. I think the VVT kicks in at 6K and the bike becomes an animal from that point on.

Old 07-31-2023, 12:43 PM
ro0Ster
Cruiser
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by FLS103
My preferred dealer (Boswell's in Nashville) did not have a PA in stock, so I went on my original ride at Moonshine in Franklin, TN, I followed the salesman who was riding an old twin cam Fat Bob, we rode in town on smooth as glass roads and on a few twisty backroads, never got over 45-50 mph. The salesman did not go over the bike or controls with me, our first turn was a right-hand turn, I do not know what I might have turned on or off when I attempted to turn on the right-hand signal with the right-hand controls.
I contacted Niko at Boswell's, he arranged for me to ride the owner's bike for a test ride, the only mods to this bike are an aftermarket exhaust (Dr. Jeckel and Mr. Hyde) and 2" risers. Niko rides a Pan America himself; he took the time to go over the bike and the controls before our ride, he then led the ride on his PA. This ride was mostly through an industrial section of town with beat up roads, then we got on Briley Parkway and hit faster speeds. The PA in road mode absorbed all the bumps, dips, manhole covers and railroad crossings with ease; this was great for my old back. The engine was also much more responsive in the higher RPMs and higher speeds (which I will not disclose).
Long story short, I ordered a new PA special, the dealer will install a Jeckel and Hyde exhaust, 2" risers and do a little paint work before I pick it up. Delivery is expected the week of the 14th.
Fantastic!
Please tell us more when you get the PAS.
I've always stated that the dealer has as much to do with the test ride as the bike.

The following users liked this post:
FLS103 (08-03-2023)
Old 08-01-2023, 09:20 AM
TN-Squirrel
Tourer
Received 247 Likes on 127 Posts

So glad to see you got to experience a “real” test ride! Welcome to the club neighbor!

user 7298720 (08-02-2023)
Old 08-02-2023, 09:41 AM
benjamin lorenzo
Tourer
Received 118 Likes on 86 Posts

it's hit and miss with test rides especially in the Nashville area - glad you finally got a good one.
I went to "Pan America DEMO DAY" at a shop once... got there early - waited a loooong time to finally ride one and it was like a 5 minute ride. I felt like I knew more about the bike than the sales kid did..... (I've been doing my research lol)

FLS103 (08-03-2023)
Old 08-02-2023, 02:39 PM
user 7298720
Banned
Received 185 Likes on 95 Posts

A bad test ride/demo experience is definitely a turn-off. I got lucky when I went to look at the PAS I ended up buying - my dealer brought out the guy that went to the Harley Pan America Experience training, and was genuinely excited about the bike. Learned a lot from him. It's a small dealer, and they don't sell a lot of Pan Americas, but two years later, and I can still walk in and get some route recommendations, good conversation, etc.

FLS103 (08-03-2023)
Old 08-19-2023, 12:53 PM
FLS103
Road Warrior
Received 240 Likes on 154 Posts

Picked her up today with 5 miles on the odometer, 47 miles later the shifter quit working. It seems the bolt that holds the shifter to the linkage was only engaged by 2 threads from the factory, hopefully this is not a sign of things to come.
I dressed the stripped area up with my knife and used the tool kit under the seat to make a roadside repair, all is good now.
In years past I have made many roadside repairs, compensator, intake gaskets, clutch cables...but this is disturbing on a brand new bike.

Last edited by FLS103; 08-19-2023 at 12:54 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by FLS103:
3dognate (08-19-2023), tri cycle (08-19-2023)
Old 08-19-2023, 09:55 PM
tri cycle
Intermediate
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

At least you got the radiator hose fix on your '23. (Like what you did with the bar/shield!)

FLS103 (08-23-2023)
Old 08-19-2023, 10:22 PM
benjamin lorenzo
Tourer
Received 118 Likes on 86 Posts

Picked her up today with 5 miles on the odometer, 47 miles later the shifter quit working. It seems the bolt that holds the shifter to the linkage was only engaged by 2 threads from the factory, hopefully this is not a sign of things to come.
I dressed the stripped area up with my knife and used the tool kit under the seat to make a roadside repair, all is good now.
In years past I have made many roadside repairs, compensator, intake gaskets, clutch cables...but this is disturbing on a brand new bike.
Wow 😳 🤯

Quick Reply: Test ride not impressed