Pan America Pan America Forum Only

Considering buying..worth the gamble?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2023, 01:11 PM
DavidHD77
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

As the original of this post asks if it is worth it.

The problems that I am reading that PA has are really few. Harness cases, some numbers of errors on screen...

The BMW GS, which has been produced since 1980, still has a long list of failures. Some very serious, such as rusty CARDAN, problems with its variable valves, defective ABS modules, etc etc. Does BMW have no experience after so many years? This is not a negative comment on the GS, I love this bike, I had two. It is a comment to say that the PA really is not having many serious failures, despite being a new model.

I like it and I will buy it.

The following 3 users liked this post by DavidHD77:
leafman60 (02-15-2024), North of You (09-09-2023), Puglia10 (09-25-2023)
Old 09-15-2023, 07:00 PM
OKHDGuy2023
Novice
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Howdy,

I recently purchased a 2023 HD Pan America and was pleasantly surprised with it. I liked it a lot better than the GSA. The looks of the Pan America won me over along with my local dealer support and service. I sadly ended up selling it as I learned that my heart laid elsewhere. So there are no regrets.
If you are interested, I would definitely recommend it. Go give it a try.

I will say that I had one minor issue. It failed to start one morning (in my garage). It would attempt to start, but not turn over. It was quickly taken care of by my dealer. I was informed there was a loose connection that needed to be tightened (there was a service bulletin regarding this). In and out in less than a day.

Last edited by OKHDGuy2023; 09-15-2023 at 07:01 PM.
Old 09-18-2023, 10:34 AM
silverbulletking
Cruiser
Received 90 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Puglia10
I'm leaning heavily towards taking the gamble with a Pan Am, despite some of the horror stories and annoyances I've been reading about with these bikes not starting, not working, etc.... I'm a "harley guy" but also dirt bike and miss my KTM 950adv, so it seems like a pretty good combination. I need a bike that can kind of do everything...
I had some teething issues on my used 2021 I got in June, I covered all of them in a few youtube videos. On the way home it went bonkers throwing codes, so I had to turn around & go back to the dealer, Farrow East H-D. They did an update which fixed the codes temporarily, but on the way home new codes & a wrench icon popped up. They picked up the PAS, found the battery was bad, & that the wrench icon was a reminder that the brake fluid needed to be flushed & filled, which they also did. I got it back and was again pleased as punch. Then I went there for an event & upon arriving home noticed the radiator hose in front of the header pipe was melting, so back to the dealer it went, they fixed it quick. I ordered a DEI Cool-Tube Extreme (good to 750*F) to cover the hose, slit it up the back, put it over the hose, and haven't had another problem. Late 22 & 23 models won't have the same issues mine had. If you're "risk averse" stick with one of those years.

The only other quirk I've experienced is a start fault where the PAS tries to start but doesn't when the button is pressed. It's something I've rarely experienced. Strange thing is, if I wait for the TFT display to fully load & hold down the button until my PAS is started, I never have the problem.

It's the most capable motorcycle I've ever owned, and I have plenty of YT vids of it going up and down the 2 very steep hills on the 1.5 miles of treacherous gravel road that I live on. Even if it breaks down, I have the extended warranty to get it fixed. Thankfully, I have a good dealer. I know some have been less than pleased with their dealers so find one with a good rep. It's stupid quick, superb in the twisties, the suspension eats bumps/potholes/road imperfections for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, it's comfortable for at least 300 miles at a time (my furthest trips so far), and it has great wind protection.

The night before I know I'm going to ride I have trouble sleeping from the excitement of how much fun I'll have. It does everything with ease, & I can't imagine ever wanting any of my previous bikes ever again except as 2nd bikes. The Pan America Special is #1 and if it blew up, was stolen, or was totaled in an accident, I'd happily buy another.

The following 6 users liked this post by silverbulletking:
Blaser (09-19-2023), Davidus1 (02-17-2024), DelRider (11-07-2023), North of You (09-18-2023), Puglia10 (09-25-2023), scratchpad (09-19-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-18-2023, 01:07 PM
ChrisIN
Novice
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Add me to the list of very happy owners. '22 PA-S. Only issue I had was cold start (under 50) code that sometimes prevented the auto-height to not work, but it mostly still did. IMO, it was just a computer timing thing that the ECU was checking everything and the suspension was a little too slow when cold, but a simple minor delay in the coding and it was fixed.
Early '23 update fixed it, nothing since. I came off an older GS1200 (didn't like) and a FJR (liked except no off road capability). Wife even likes riding on the PA the best which I was surprised about. My biggest like is it makes me giggle/grin every time I ride it.
But I also bought insurance for 5 years, factory warranty on a known first model, always do, and I buy a lot of first model manuf. I thought the price was fair.
Did the northern pieces of the MABDR (all PA) and it didn't challenge the big girl at all.
I'm even anxiously awaiting the PA 975 to replace my ktm 790...........................................(IF she is close in weight only)

The following 2 users liked this post by ChrisIN:
silverbulletking (09-18-2023), TN-Squirrel (09-19-2023)
Old 09-26-2023, 09:55 AM
Puglia10
Road Warrior
Received 479 Likes on 230 Posts

good to get some different perspectives, thank you.
Im between a PAS and a ktm 11/1290....on those forums, they have their share of issues also, so its not just Harley.

The Harley dealership network has a big edge on ktm. That might help my decision.

The following 2 users liked this post by Puglia10:
jprovida (09-28-2023), North of You (09-26-2023)
Old 09-26-2023, 10:45 AM
North of You
Cruiser
Received 208 Likes on 80 Posts

The Harley dealership network has a big edge on ktm. That might help my decision.
That was also one of my deciding factors in my decision. If you’re in one of the major cities in NA, this really isn’t an issue. But if you’re going to travel to the more remote areas, it’s nice to know there is support at hand closer than anything from BMW or KTM.

The following users liked this post:
Puglia10 (10-03-2023)
Old 09-26-2023, 11:27 AM
3dognate
Tourer
Received 337 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by North of You
That was also one of my deciding factors in my decision. If you’re in one of the major cities in NA, this really isn’t an issue. But if you’re going to travel to the more remote areas, it’s nice to know there is support at hand closer than anything from BMW or KTM.
For sure... god help anyone that grenades their KTM engine... good luck getting a new one in the same riding season. KTMs are reliable but they do breakdown and getting major repairs in or out of warranty is lengthy and annoying on every account that I've heard.

The following 2 users liked this post by 3dognate:
North of You (09-26-2023), Puglia10 (10-03-2023)
Old 09-29-2023, 09:44 AM
insurme
Novice
Received 23 Likes on 5 Posts

I took the gamble with a 2023 and 733 miles later, it is in the shop. The throttle would not accelerate, the engine revved at 4000 RPMS. I gave it a rest, started it back up and made it a mile before it completely shut off and I had to call for help an hour away from home on a Sunday. Needless to say, my confidence went from 95% to 5%. It is now Friday and nothing from the dealer.

Old 10-03-2023, 10:29 AM
Puglia10
Road Warrior
Received 479 Likes on 230 Posts

oof, thats no good.

The following users liked this post:
insurme (10-03-2023)
Old 10-03-2023, 11:11 AM
insurme
Novice
Received 23 Likes on 5 Posts

oof, thats no good.

yep, and 9 days later not even a call from the service department with words of encouragement.

Quick Reply: Considering buying..worth the gamble?