Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.

Vinyl wrap?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 06:32 PM
LucidBrkout
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vinyl wrap?

Curious if anyone has ever seen or attempted to wrap their tank, fenders and oil tank with any type of vehicle vinyl.

I am thinking about a unique look to my Breakout with Kryptek Typhon Vinyl. They produce sheets of it by the SQ ft and im there there would be plenty of heating to get the curves of a tank done. Below is a image of the Graphic and a ROUGH photoshop of what it might look like.

any thoughts?

Old 12-05-2014, 07:24 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 260 Likes on 135 Posts

My step son has his own business doing all kinds of wraps. I've tried to get him to consider doing bikes with no success. He doesn't want to get involved with trying to wrap tanks. He has no problem with fenders, side panels, etc. but tanks are difficult due to their shape. As I understand it the vinyl is difficult to apply on continuously rounded shapes without wrinkles. It's not that it can't be done, just that it takes a lot work and time and most customers don't want to pay for that time.
He's done hundreds of cars, p/u trucks, monster trucks, boats, airplanes, helicopters, ATV's, funny cars.... you name it, he's done it so I believe him.

Check out his site: (You can ask his opinion there as well as watching him actually doing wraps)
http://www.wrapthatcar.com/

Old 12-05-2014, 07:48 PM
LucidBrkout
Advanced

^ Nice! thank for the link to his site. Ive done similar to vinyl application work, but never on a vehicle or anything with really long curves. Im gonna poke around at a local shops and see who is A)Willing to take on the task of the tank and B)who actually has the skill.

Old 12-05-2014, 07:57 PM
Zeus55
Road Master
Received 113 Likes on 61 Posts

I had my previous business car wraped a couple of years ago. If you can find somebody verry perfectionist, you may end-up with something unique.
The only problem is the colors... they tend to fade-out under the sun after a couple of years.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:05 PM
LucidBrkout
Advanced

Im not super worried about the color fading. My HD is garaged daily and parked under car ports if I have it out at work. Only time its in the sun is while on a ride. The cost to cover a bike isnt very much....like $100-$150 for the film, and i dunno yet on cost. Need to find that perfectionist. I might even be OK with a seam on the bottom sides of the tank if they are hidden extremely well. Luckily this patter is already warped as it is and heavy bending and heating on curves would look like a normal pattern bend

Old 12-05-2014, 08:14 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 260 Likes on 135 Posts

Sun fading is definitely an issue. It will depend to some extent on the quality of the vinyl and mostly the ink that is used. He told me that what he uses is typically about a 5-6 year life cycle before the fading becomes noticeable. This is on a vehicle that sits in the sun the majority of the time.
Being garaged a large part of the time will extend that fade time. The good thing is that there's no big prep to redo it again like there would be with paint. The vinyl pretty much just peels off, clean the surface, and reapply the new vinyl. A new design every 5 years is about what most of us wish we could afford to do anyway.

Old 12-08-2014, 12:00 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

i have seen several bikes wrapped, they looked wrapped...we do a TON of coating work for a wrap company and they HATE to do bikes due to the complex curves, hell we powder coated the owner of the company's bike if that gives you any idea

Old 12-08-2014, 01:28 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

You should take a look at hydro graphics. Pretty cool stuff happening in this newer market.

Old 12-09-2014, 12:51 PM
LucidBrkout
Advanced

I've done and seen hydro dipping. Even have it done to my firearms. The problem is I am not ready to sand down and primer the brand new paint job on my 2015 just to get the look and not be able to go back.

I'd rather get the look and be able to protect the paint, and then remove it when I'm ready and have my new paint job back

Old 12-16-2014, 05:23 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 129 Posts

I'm getting ready to wrap my EG Classic. My tank has a dash that goes from the very front to the seat so i'm planning on doing it in 2 pieces as you'll never see a seam under the dash. I'm going with a solid color though, no print on mine. Some sort of matte color. I have a vinyl plotter as well, so i'll put my shop logo on it somewhere in a seperate decal. I think the ones that are custom printed are the ones that fade iover time, the pattern that the OP wants probably won't fade like the printed ones.

Quick Reply: Vinyl wrap?