Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.

2016 Carbon Crystal - PPG or Axalta paint code?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2021, 12:30 AM
hdsoftail98
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did you find it

I am also looking for that color carbon Crystal do you know the paint code

Old 09-09-2021, 07:35 AM
coebam
Advanced
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by hdsoftail98
I am also looking for that color carbon Crystal do you know the paint code
My best guess is the PPG 938553 Star Fire Black. But, I have not sprayed it out yet. Luckily have not had any damage that needed repainting so this project has been a back burner one. I'm still wanting to figure it out though. I do have a small amount of the Crystallance powder that I think is the "effect" and want to try some spray out cards. I also suspect that this is a tri coat color meaning black base goes down first, then a mid effect coat, then clear. Just need to do it. I'll try to post up results at some point.

Colin

The following users liked this post:
hdsoftail98 (09-09-2021)
Old 12-17-2021, 07:28 PM
Scubasrevo
Intermediate
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by coebam
Thanks for the code. I actually work for an automotive finish company and have access to both PPG and Axalta codes. The issue I'm running into is that for some reason HD is very protective of CVO colors. Thanks again!

Colin
You may have to put your camera on the bike. I paint large sportfishing yachts and motor yachts and Axalta is one of our primary marine coatings. But my distribution rep also carries Spies Hecker as well. When I called him about paint for a fender I was painting for my neighbor, he had the same problems you are having with cross referencing the Harley color codes. I needed paint for a 2006 Heritage in fire red pearl with no luck on cross referencing...ended up putting his camera on the fender and uploaded the formula to his mixing bank and Spies had the closest match and the match on this fender was flawless...

This is the Spies Hecker base system color matched to Harley's fire red pearl and four coats of Axalta's MS1 clear over it. The front fender had some damage and deep scratches from a leather fork pouch. The gold pinstripes made a perfect breaking point so it only the only top got the color, but the clear went over the entire fender.

Last edited by Scubasrevo; 12-17-2021 at 07:35 PM.
Old 12-17-2021, 07:56 PM
Scubasrevo
Intermediate
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gduncan
Don't know how true this is or not, I heard some body shops or paint supplies companies can scan your tank, fender etc. and mix the correct color.
my paint rep was able scan a fender with his camera. Got a very strong match with Spies Hecker. Color was perfect. I put pics up of the finished product on this thread

Old 06-07-2022, 02:17 PM
Bob S
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rpking
I just went through a mess like this
I put stretched saddlebags, side covers and rear fender extension on my 2013 Chrome Yellow Pearl streetglide
do yourself a favor and buy your paint at a Harley Davidson dealership
my bodyshop guy bought paint from 3 different paint companies, none were even a close match
I bought paint from my local dealership for $143.00 a quart and it matched perfect.
Unfortunately this color is no longer available from HD. My bike came without a tourpack and I've been trying to get some paint for the one I picked up.