Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.

Prepping lowers for powdercoating

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2022, 11:05 PM
dcdbraun
Intermediate
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Prepping lowers for powdercoating

I'm planning on getting the cowbells and lowers on my 2011 RGU powdercoated and am looking for guidance on what/how to mask off the lowers so I don't end up with powdercoat where I don't want it. Does anyone have instructions or photos? I'm assuming I should mask the faces where the axle goes. But what about the top of the lower? How do I mask where the fork tube enters for proper coverage?

Old 06-14-2022, 03:58 AM
Daddy454
Road Master
Received 316 Likes on 144 Posts

Are you planning on doing them yourself,or are you having them done?A reputable coater will/should know what to coat and not to.If you are doing your own,the cowbells are easy.......just shoot them all.The lowers will need to be masked on any machined surface that can't handle a tolerance difference ie: powder thickness.Mask the lowers where the axle rides,and the inside of the seal area,minus the top edge which shouldn't matter if it's shot.I shot the flats where the bolts go through the clamp(?) piece on the right leg,but that was just my preference.When I did mine,I stuffed aluminum foil in the tops of the legs,and masked around the inside where the seal/wiper rides.As well you may think about masking where the brake caliper mounts on the inside.I didn't,but have since read on here there is a tolerance spec with the discs/pad....apparently yes,even that slight.I haven't noticed any issues,but thats your call.This is on a '16 SGS,but I'm guessing yours will be similar.Good luck.

Old 06-14-2022, 07:20 AM
dcdbraun
Intermediate
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Daddy454
Are you planning on doing them yourself,or are you having them done?A reputable coater will/should know what to coat and not to.If you are doing your own,the cowbells are easy.......just shoot them all.The lowers will need to be masked on any machined surface that can't handle a tolerance difference ie: powder thickness.Mask the lowers where the axle rides,and the inside of the seal area,minus the top edge which shouldn't matter if it's shot.I shot the flats where the bolts go through the clamp(?) piece on the right leg,but that was just my preference.When I did mine,I stuffed aluminum foil in the tops of the legs,and masked around the inside where the seal/wiper rides.As well you may think about masking where the brake caliper mounts on the inside.I didn't,but have since read on here there is a tolerance spec with the discs/pad....apparently yes,even that slight.I haven't noticed any issues,but thats your call.This is on a '16 SGS,but I'm guessing yours will be similar.Good luck.
I'm having them done by a local powdercoater. Thanks for the info, exactly what I was looking for!