Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Oil behind derby cover ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 10:05 PM
hd.road.king
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil behind derby cover ??

Howdy,
I was just wondering about the oil that is behind the derby cover (clutch inspection cover). Is this oil from the transmission, which I am assuming or is it from the crankcase? My bike is a 07' Road King.

Also my HD service manual recommends the HD tranny oil for the transmission, does it need to be the HD brand or are there substitutes?

Mike[/align]

Old 04-13-2007, 10:25 PM
markdt
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Oil behind derby cover ??

Primary oil. you have 3 holes to fill on yours . Crancase primary and transmission..The primary is seperate from the transmission..I use sportrans for mine but my primary uses the same fluid .Mark

Old 04-13-2007, 10:53 PM
nujohn
Tourer

Mike Check your manual ,shows you were and hows and when .Very easy to do
Iuse amsoil 20-50 in motor,redline in the tranny,and HD primary grear oil
seems to be some of the best out there good luck
john

Old 04-13-2007, 11:49 PM
hd.road.king
Intermediate
Default RE: Oil behind derby cover ?? Next question??

Hey thanks guy's,
I lost a few ounces of oil when I changed the derby cover to a different style. I was just looking in my HD service manual and it only lists quantities for after draining the primary. Is there any type of line in there for a full mark or how do you gauge what quantity to add to top it off?

Thanks again,
Mike

Old 04-14-2007, 12:30 AM
Bill G
Road Captain
Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

On your 07 Road King, the level should be just below the edge of the opening without runing out or spilling over with the derby cover off leaning on the jiffy stand on level ground.

Take Care,
Bill G

Old 04-14-2007, 12:50 AM
hd.road.king
Intermediate

Thanks a million Bill,
I figured that there must be a way of topping it off without draining and re-filling. I have read my owners manual and the HD service manual and so far the only things listed were quantities to re-fill after draining. I just wanted to top it off.

Thanks again,
Mike

Old 04-14-2007, 03:24 AM
Bill G
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: hd.road.king

Thanks a million Bill,
I figured that there must be a way of topping it off without draining and re-filling. I have read my owners manual and the HD service manual and so far the only things listed were quantities to re-fill after draining. I just wanted to top it off.

Thanks again,
Mike
Your welcome, that is where the level comes to after a fresh refill of 38 ozs on the 07 models. I took note of this level after following the recommended change procedures in the sevice manual.

Take Care,
Bill G

Old 04-14-2007, 01:13 PM
schoney
Tourer

Your tramsmission oil is in the tranny itself, the motor oil is in an oil tank a part of you tranny under you transmission, if you look under the tranny you will see a flat bottom side of oil pan for you motor, the drain plug is there also. Behind your inspection plate is the primary oil, your bike should be level when you fill this the drain plug is on the bottom side of you primary, and you fill is through the derby cover hole.

Old 04-15-2007, 09:24 PM
glide
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bill G

On your 07 Road King, the level should be just below the edge of the opening without runing out or spilling over with the derby cover off leaning on the jiffy stand on level ground.

Take Care,
Bill G
That would be a bit too much oil. The oil level in the primary is measured in ounces specific to the model and in most cases will come up to the silver edge of the clutch basket only. Overfilling it will cause problems with shifting and finding neutral.
The pic below will show you what we're talking about here. It's the silver outer circumference around the VPC clutch in the middle. You'll see it when you look in through the derby cover. The oil should just be up to the edge of that with the bike upright and level.

[IMG]local://upfiles/8308/AE1AE87FF8CA48D097E1750F4DB412B1.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-15-2007, 09:42 PM
Bill G
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: glide

ORIGINAL: Bill G

Take Care,
Bill G
That would be a bit too much oil. The oil level in the primary is measured in ounces specific to the model and in most cases will come up to the silver edge of the clutch basket only. Overfilling it will cause problems with shifting and finding neutral.
The pic below will show you what we're talking about here. It's the silver outer circumference around the VPC clutch in the middle. You'll see it when you look in through the derby cover. The oil should just be up to the edge of that with the bike upright and level.

[IMG]local://upfiles/8308/AE1AE87FF8CA48D097E1750F4DB412B1.jpg[/IMG]
I am afraid your wrong sir about the 07, in the sevice manual for the 07 after draining the primary it says to add 38 ozs of fluid on a wet change, 45 ozs for a newfill or after arebiuld. At that point the level on my 07 was exactly where I said it was in my previous post, just below the opening about 1/8 to 1/4 inch leaning on the jiffy stand, yes on the jiffy stand, on the 07 models all measurments are done on the jiffy stand. I do not make it a practice to give people false information. So I beg to differ with you.

Onthe earlier models the primary takes 32 ozs or 1 Qrt. The 07 takes 38 ozs as they are a little diffrent.

Have a nice day...
Bill G

Quick Reply: Oil behind derby cover ??