Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

1997 Wide Glide Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 09:28 AM
DaveyC
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Wide Glide Transmission Problem

I recently purchased a 1997 Wide Glide from a private seller. The bike is beautiful and was maintained well. The seller had extended forward controls on the bike, and it was uncomfortable for me to ride. I went to my local dealer and had them order a standard length shift linkage and brake pushrod. I installed the shifter no problem, but the brake rod was too long. Found out aftermarket pedal and ordered a new Harley one. It also didn't work so I had to cut and weld pushrod.

I test rode all day Saturday 4/23 with no issues. On Sunday 4/24, I took it for a ride to my parents house and it rode great. On my way back home about 15 miles into my 65 mile ride, I heard a clunk sound and the bike started to shake and sound odd as it started to rev up. I held the clutch and shut it down as I pulled onto the shoulder. After looking for oil or anything obvious, I found neutral and tried to start. It sounded like the starter was turning but not actually turning the motor. Same way with the bike in gear with the clutch in. If you try to start in gear without the clutch, the bike tries to move forward.

I'm really hoping it's something small like a key way or something. I can't afford to put a new tranny in a bike that I've only been on three times.

Old 04-25-2016, 12:20 PM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

If it jumps forward in gear when you try to start it then the motor is turning. I would start with the basics does it have fuel and spark?

Old 04-26-2016, 11:56 AM
DaveyC
Stage III

Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain
If it jumps forward in gear when you try to start it then the motor is turning. I would start with the basics does it have fuel and spark?
Yes the motor turns when in gear with no clutch. As soon as you either put it in neutral or squeeze the clutch, the starter sounds like it's not meshing with anything. I haven't really looked at it since getting it home. It made a clunk sound that sounded like it was from the primary case. I noticed that 4th and 5th gear were hard to find needing hard upshifts to get into after moving the controls back to stock location.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:06 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,813 Likes on 3,316 Posts

I would start with a primary inspection...

Old 05-03-2016, 05:22 PM
DaveyC
Stage III

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
I would start with a primary inspection...
Sorry I haven't been able to respond.

My father in law and I opened up the primary and found it was a dry enclosed belt drive. A bolt vibrated out and hit the belt shredding it and in the process, the bolt got stuck between the case and clutch basket and ground down the teeth on the basket. It was a bolt that wasn't even needed anymore with the belt drive.

Thanks for the responses!

Old 05-03-2016, 07:11 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,813 Likes on 3,316 Posts

Are you sure it was an unnecessary bolt. I have seen inner primary bolts back out because the metal retainer or lock was missing from previous work. Do you have pics? What kind of belt drive is it. I have some bdl and Rivera parts if I can be of some assistance...