Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Fluid Leak between Transmission and Primary Case

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 08:29 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,543 Likes on 3,794 Posts

Originally Posted by Fat Bey
Hi mate ! My owner's manual says to check the fluid with the bike on the jiffy stand and also says to screw the dipstick back in after wiping , until the o-ring just touches the casing. The transmission vent was replaced about 400 miles ago .
My latest manual is only a 2009 Dana and they sure could have change it.

If I am wrong, then fine. However, the transmission would be way overfilled screwing it in till the o-ring touches on most sticks since it about an inch up to that o-ring.

My 2009 manual says "With motorcycle on a level surface and resting on jiffy stand, check lubricant level. a. Insert filler plug/dipstick into transmission fill hole but do not thread in." Softails say the same.

Are you referring to the rubber tube in your statement? "The transmission vent was replaced about 400 miles ago" If so, it could still be stopped up. Why did they replace the tube?

Old 07-20-2017, 03:21 AM
Fat Bey
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yes it was the small rubber tube.
I replaced it because it was perished and cracked 🙂

Old 07-21-2017, 07:18 AM
aviaator
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Fat Bey
Yes it was the small rubber tube.
I replaced it because it was perished and cracked 🙂
Hey FB,

Did replacing that vent tube fix your fluid migration problem, or are you saying it was replaced earlier so you DON'T think that's the problem?

Old 07-21-2017, 07:27 AM
Fat Bey
Advanced

I don't think the small transmission vent tube was ever a problem and I only replaced it because it was cracked.
The replacement of the vent tube did not have any effect at all on the fluid migration i.e. The problem still exists. 🙂

Old 07-21-2017, 07:31 AM
aviaator
Cruiser

Thanks for clearing that up - I might be in the same boat. When I pulled my derby cover off a few days ago my primary was overfilled to the point oil ran out all over the floor; a very unpleasant surprise. I drained and filled it properly and will check it again after a couple hundred miles.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:46 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,255 Likes on 3,627 Posts

Originally Posted by aviaator
Thanks for clearing that up - I might be in the same boat. When I pulled my derby cover off a few days ago my primary was overfilled to the point oil ran out all over the floor; a very unpleasant surprise. I drained and filled it properly and will check it again after a couple hundred miles.
Was the bike upright? Did you check motor and tranny oil levels.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:03 AM
aviaator
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Was the bike upright? Did you check motor and tranny oil levels.
Yes bike was upright on a lift. Had just changed the engine oil so that's unknown. After I saw these threads I checked my tranny oil and that's full. No visible leaks anywhere.

Like I said, right now all 3 are properly serviced - I'll ride a couple hundred miles then check all 3 again.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:55 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,255 Likes on 3,627 Posts

Originally Posted by aviaator
Yes bike was upright on a lift. Had just changed the engine oil so that's unknown. After I saw these threads I checked my tranny oil and that's full. No visible leaks anywhere.

Like I said, right now all 3 are properly serviced - I'll ride a couple hundred miles then check all 3 again.
So it sounds like you have a different problem.. Possible oil moving from motor to primary.. That can occur when the engine breathers are blocked or there is an issue with the breather valves in the heads. Could also be a couple other things.

Old 07-23-2017, 09:09 AM
Fat Bey
Advanced

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
So it sounds like you have a different problem.. Possible oil moving from motor to primary.. That can occur when the engine breathers are blocked or there is an issue with the breather valves in the heads. Could also be a couple other things.
Hi guys , I'm tempted to think that this fluid is passing along the mainshaft/ clutch pushrod.
By looking at an exploded view of the setup , I'm sure that a leak in any of the seals would show up as an external leak .
If the mainshaft / clutch pushrod is the culprit , why is it leaking and how do I fix it ?

Old 07-23-2017, 11:39 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,543 Likes on 3,794 Posts

That is what I think and said in post 19 but may be confusion in what I said about seal for pushrod.
Why it leaked is I think you overfilled transmission (maybe) and it just is running in past the metal umbrella on the clutch rod oil slinger.

Listen and watch here around 4 min

Listen to what he says around 5 minute

Quick Reply: Fluid Leak between Transmission and Primary Case