Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Hard shifts into 2nd gear

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2020, 03:12 PM
twincam10353
Road Master
Received 248 Likes on 178 Posts
Default Hard shifts into 2nd gear

2016 FLHXS w/ 18k miles

I have noticed sometimes (I'd say about 30%) of the time, when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear it seems to be a somewhat rough transition. What I mean is just a rough shift, almost like feeling some type of vibration in the shift shaft.

Yesterday I actually happened to really get stuck in neutral when going from 1st to 2nd and it really took a few attempts to get back into gear.

I'd like to add I really only notice this when getting on it, not just putting around.

Bike is Stage 1 - pipes, tuner, air cleaner - nothing else modded performance-wise. Running Amsoil all 3 holes, freshly changed a couple of months ago.

Any recommendations?

Old 10-19-2020, 04:54 PM
MyFavRk
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,477 Likes on 3,900 Posts

Check your shift linkage , any play in it , might just need to be re adjusted . If the heim joints have to much play or are too loose , you'll have to replace them , you can replace them with better ones from any parts store , just need the proper sizes . Also , check the front and rear shift levers and make sure they're not stripped or loose . The front shift shaft and spacer should be greased as well . Make sure the rear heal shifter , if your using it , isn't hitting the floorboard as you shift , may need to be readjusted .

If all that checks out , maybe the clutch needs to be adjusted or clutch cable replaced .

Hope it's not serious and you get it fixed , good luck !

Old 10-19-2020, 06:47 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,986 Likes on 1,726 Posts

Have you tried bleeding the clutch?

Old 10-19-2020, 09:40 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,283 Likes on 3,643 Posts

Are you using a heel shifter?

Old 10-20-2020, 08:19 AM
twincam10353
Road Master

Originally Posted by MyFavRk
Check your shift linkage , any play in it , might just need to be re adjusted . If the heim joints have to much play or are too loose , you'll have to replace them , you can replace them with better ones from any parts store , just need the proper sizes . Also , check the front and rear shift levers and make sure they're not stripped or loose . The front shift shaft and spacer should be greased as well . Make sure the rear heal shifter , if your using it , isn't hitting the floorboard as you shift , may need to be readjusted.
The entire shift linkage system is brand new, I replaced everything about a year ago. WIth that I upgraded to a Roland Sands heim joint connection arm. All of it is tight, loc-tited, nothing is stripped. I also put anti-seize on the shifter shaft.

Originally Posted by dawg
Have you tried bleeding the clutch?
Did an entire clutch fluid flush beginning of this season.

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Are you using a heel shifter?
Nope, deleted it. I felt it was always in my way.

Old 10-20-2020, 08:21 AM
twincam10353
Road Master

One thing I did notice when inspecting everything, the connecting arm that comes up from the transmission is nice and tight to the splines of the shaft - but that actually shaft has some play (I'd say about a 1/4" of an inch) in and out of the transmission. I can wiggle it back and forth with my hands. Is this normal? I can post a video if that's easier....

Old 10-20-2020, 08:32 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,568 Likes on 3,815 Posts

Too tight hemi joints if you have that set up is worst then too loose. Harleys' have a very slight angle that locks the drive dogs in. It will also pull shift in if linkage is not tight from aftermarket China hemi joints. Also, I assume your oil is not too thick since who knows what substitutes are.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 10-20-2020 at 10:38 AM.
Old 10-20-2020, 09:01 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by twincam10353
One thing I did notice when inspecting everything, the connecting arm that comes up from the transmission is nice and tight to the splines of the shaft - but that actually shaft has some play (I'd say about a 1/4" of an inch) in and out of the transmission. I can wiggle it back and forth with my hands. Is this normal? I can post a video if that's easier....
If the shifter shaft is sliding in and out of the tranny about 1/4 inch, you got a problem. Sounds like the snap ring on the shifter shaft has popped loose and the arm has moved out some.

Old 10-20-2020, 09:21 AM
twincam10353
Road Master

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
If the shifter shaft is sliding in and out of the tranny about 1/4 inch, you got a problem. Sounds like the snap ring on the shifter shaft has popped loose and the arm has moved out some.
Max, I might have over-exaggerated it's more like a 1/8 inch. Here is a video...is this normal?

https://streamable.com/u9pqd2

Old 10-20-2020, 09:35 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by twincam10353
Max, I might have over-exaggerated it's more like a 1/8 inch. Here is a video...is this normal?

https://streamable.com/u9pqd2
It look more like about 1/16 inch or less. My 17 RK looks the same. maybe the slightest bit less.

The entire shift linkage system is brand new,
New shift arm in the front? Could it be limiting travel?

Quick Reply: Hard shifts into 2nd gear