Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Barnett extra clutch plate and finding neutral

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2024, 08:42 PM
Lunatic_Fringe
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tdrglide
Also, don't over fill primary. You only need about 28oz in an 05 RK primary
Thanks you for this suggestion, I had made this mistake in the past so I was sure to not overfill since doing that.

Originally Posted by Jay Guild
If you find something that works let us know. I've had the same issue since doing those upgrades. I will say I did intake, exhaust, cams, and big bore and had issues with a slipping clutch and that's why I did the clutch plates and HD spring as well as the AIM clutch plate.
I will provide an update for what works after trying a few more options. I'll probably install a stock spring for now and hold on to the heavy duty spring for later if needed after the engine work is done.

Originally Posted by marcodarq
as mentioned adjust the clutch pushrod, I like to adjust the cable with a little less free play as well and it seems to help, but make sure that you do actually have SOME free play. the other thing that helps is blipping the throttle and shfting at the same time,,,,seems like the pack loosens up some and can find N easier. this stuff works for me as I ran the xtra plate kits for a long time, before i started getting biggger badder clutch assemblies.
m
I too like a little less play in my clutch cable, so I adjusted it multiple times which helped but not quite there. I also played around with adjusting the push rod a tone of times which is a pain in the *** to do over and over. However, I only played with the adjustment from 1/2 to 1 full turn and everything in between. I'll try the quarter turn as mentioned.

Good call on blipping the throttle, as this was how I get it into neutral from second gear.

Originally Posted by TexasScooterTrash
Easy solution. GET RID OF HEAVY DUTY DIAPHRAGM SPRING! Think of the clutch basket adjustment as a suggestion. A little looser or tighter, don't be afraid to experiment. Worked on my 07 years ago.
I think this will be my next move for the time being, unfortunately I tossed the OEM spring after installing the new clutch.....dang it! Guess I'll order one.

Originally Posted by 08xl1200r
If you kept the judder spring parts and the narrow plate they MIGHT do the trick with the Barnett stuff. FWIW years ago Barnett supplied a judder spring with some clutch kits.

Unfortunately I tossed those along with the OEM spring.... 🤷‍♂️. I appreciate the diagram.

Thank you for all the replies!

Old 04-26-2024, 08:58 PM
brakeless
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,472 Likes on 2,596 Posts

Do you have an Easy Pull Ball and Ramp on your bike? Just asking because those typically reduce throw.

The following users liked this post:
klammer76 (04-28-2024)
Old 04-26-2024, 09:33 PM
Lunatic_Fringe
6th Gear

Originally Posted by brakeless
Do you have an Easy Pull Ball and Ramp on your bike? Just asking because those typically reduce throw.
I do not have an easy pull....I was thinking about one if needed down the line. Have you installed one of these? I've heard mixed reviews, but mostly good.

Old 04-26-2024, 09:50 PM
brakeless
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Lunatic_Fringe
I do not have an easy pull....I was thinking about one if needed down the line. Have you installed one of these? I've heard mixed reviews, but mostly good.
They work well with stock clutches. I had one but removed it after installing an extra plate kit and having the same problems as you are. I ended up with the stock pressure plate, ball and ramp assy, and added 10mm ***** (larger) in place of the stock ones. That made up the difference. Plus I'm only about 1/8 turn out on my clutch adjustment.

08xl1200r (04-26-2024)
Old 04-26-2024, 10:54 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 733 Likes on 577 Posts

The heavy spring is not the issue. The problem comes because the stack height of the extra plate kit is larger than stock, but with the same pressure plate travel. You need to tweak it to get as much travel as you can get and still have some freeplay.
m

The following 2 users liked this post by marcodarq:
98hotrodfatboy (04-27-2024), brakeless (04-26-2024)
Old 04-26-2024, 11:39 PM
brakeless
Seasoned HDF Member

The heavy spring is not the issue. The problem comes because the stack height of the extra plate kit is larger than stock, but with the same pressure plate travel. You need to tweak it to get as much travel as you can get and still have some freeplay.
m
The heavy pressure plates are actually thicker than the lighter, stock ones so in that sense they do add to the problem.

Lunatic_Fringe (04-27-2024)
Old 04-27-2024, 05:30 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,911 Likes on 3,362 Posts

For starters make sure you have a 1/2" to 5/8" slack in your primary chain.. Next, when you adjust the clutch just back the adjustment screw off 1/8 - 1/4 turn.. After that go with the 10 mm ball bearings in your clutch release ramp on the other side. They are .020" larger in diameter than the stock .375" bearings.. The best I could do with the stock setup was .068" on the clutch pack.. I have a video on YouTube that proves it picked up over .016" of an inch separation on the clutch pack.. I as well run an extra plate kit in my '97 in Evo ,110 horse /114 lb of torque but I'm running a Screaming Eagle spring that holds the power no problem..

Also as mentioned that Barnett extra heavy spring not necessary...

Last edited by 98hotrodfatboy; 04-27-2024 at 05:35 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 98hotrodfatboy:
brakeless (04-27-2024), Lunatic_Fringe (04-27-2024)
Old 04-27-2024, 05:50 AM
Lunatic_Fringe
6th Gear

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
For starters make sure you have a 1/2" to 5/8" slack in your primary chain.. Next, when you adjust the clutch just back the adjustment screw off 1/8 - 1/4 turn.. After that go with the 10 mm ball bearings in your clutch release ramp on the other side. They are .020" larger in diameter than the stock .375" bearings.. The best I could do with the stock setup was .068" on the clutch pack.. I have a video on YouTube that proves it picked up over .016" of an inch separation on the clutch pack.. I as well run an extra plate kit in my '97 in Evo ,110 horse /114 lb of torque but I'm running a Screaming Eagle spring that holds the power no problem..

Also as mentioned that Barnett extra heavy spring not necessary...

https://youtube.com/shorts/ZhbMxVX7s...DZ9cciui5iM6Or
Thank you, I'll add this to the list!

Old 04-27-2024, 12:39 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 733 Likes on 577 Posts

Brakeless,

I'm not trying to be rude, honestly, but what are your talking about?
There is only 1 pressure plate in the assembly, other than that there are friction plates and steel drive plates, and as I said, they stack up different than stock.
As experienced people here, we need to make sure that we use the correct terms about things when we are trying to help someone out, as some people may not have a lot of experience and not be able to interpret what we say. Like I said, I'm not trying to be rude or an *** here, just trying to understand if you are trying to say the same thing that I already said about the stack height of ALL the plates together
m

Old 04-27-2024, 12:53 PM
brakeless
Seasoned HDF Member

Brakeless,

I'm not trying to be rude, honestly, but what are your talking about?
There is only 1 pressure plate in the assembly, other than that there are friction plates and steel drive plates, and as I said, they stack up different than stock.
As experienced people here, we need to make sure that we use the correct terms about things when we are trying to help someone out, as some people may not have a lot of experience and not be able to interpret what we say. Like I said, I'm not trying to be rude or an *** here, just trying to understand if you are trying to say the same thing that I already said about the stack height of ALL the plates together
m
I think we're on the same page. I'm mentioning the heavier duty spring pressure plate being the problem because it really doesn't allow all the play to be used with the extra plate clutch kits. Didn't mean to confuse anyone. They're thicker and take more pressure throughout the entire system to compress. Not really needed unless you have a high horsepower bike you're racing. And gorilla grip to go with them. I guess I have trouble being clear sometimes.

Quick Reply: Barnett extra clutch plate and finding neutral