Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Primary Bearing 06 Dyna and newer models

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 10:50 AM
Photobiker
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Primary Bearing 06 Dyna and newer models

Does this apply to the 96B engines, I have an 07 Night Train and have noticed a kind of scrapping noise especially at the front primary side but it does make this noise consistantly all around the engine, it is there idleing and and when under load obviously louder. Listened to an 06 NT and it hada similar noise but not as loud.The weather here has been cool so engine does not over heat but the noise doesnt seem to get worse after riding for a while. I also heard an 07 SE Softail springer and it seemed to have this same noise. It kinda sounds like a gear noise, I had a sportster that had lots of head noise but this is a scrapping like was mentioned a throw out bearing kinda noise. Any help would be appreciated

Old 05-07-2008, 12:23 PM
Snakum
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It appears hopefully they finally gotthe problemstaken care ofin '08.
Not if Vics issue is the same thing. He's sitting on an 08 WideGlide in the pics.

Old 05-07-2008, 04:20 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

ORIGINAL: Photobiker

Does this apply to the 96B engines, I have an 07 Night Train and have noticed a kind of scrapping noise especially at the front primary side but it does make this noise consistantly all around the engine, it is there idleing and and when under load obviously louder. Listened to an 06 NT and it hada similar noise but not as loud.The weather here has been cool so engine does not over heat but the noise doesnt seem to get worse after riding for a while. I also heard an 07 SE Softail springer and it seemed to have this same noise. It kinda sounds like a gear noise, I had a sportster that had lots of head noise but this is a scrapping like was mentioned a throw out bearing kinda noise. Any help would be appreciated
07's do not have the IPB issue............yet..

Old 05-07-2008, 07:13 PM
squeeech
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

G'day mates,

Did ya know that the part number for the inner race has changed from 34091-06 to 34091-08 ?????
Hear me out..... The only problem in 27,000Km ( about 17,000 miles), has been th IPB noise. I read every post on this site to get "ready" for the inevitable. But the roller bearing (9231), has been used for decades, so it shouldn't be that, and the auto tensioner seemed a long shot, so when the "noise" started I went and bought the roller bearing but the dealer failed to include the inner race. When a friend and I tore it down we saw that the inner race was badly notched and "dug out" from the rollers. Little gooves all the way around, but the actual rollers were OK. This inner race was changed for the '06 6speed and some logical thinking and a few more beers made me think that the fault had to be with this "new" part (34091-06). I figured that the heat treating was faulty... it was a (quality??) INA brand name on it, but that didn't mean much. I checked and found that this part number was still listed for '07 BUT was changed for '08. Sure it is just the "year" part but maybe , just maybe, the company suppling HD with the part has fixed the problem with the quality of the part (or the treating of it) and HD is calling it an updated part.... hence no probs with '08's. What do you guys think?? Anyways, I used a Jims brand inner race and figured I would just side step the whole issue. It has been perfect for the past 7000 miles, so I'm hoping I've found the answer, only time will tell. Sorry no pics yet ( i don't have a digital camera ). This would explain why the old bearing race continued to failduring '07 as HD was still using it in their workshops. The split ring was the right way up, and i use regular 10w-40 mineral oil in my primary and have done for decades.

I hope I have helped a bit and would value your opinions...

Graham (Australia)

Old 05-08-2008, 10:02 AM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good letter. Harley ought to start drinking Australia beer.
I like the Jim's answer. Get passed the issue.

Reminds me of when I was younger and would work on cars. Go to an auto parts place and Engine Bearings were available, Good, Better, orBest. May still be. Go to all that work and save a few dollors on Bearings? Hello???

Only a Manufacture or ripeoff would even think of just, Good Enough.

Old 05-13-2008, 01:24 PM
amnon_romano
Novice

Has anyone got an 07 model with this issue????

Old 05-23-2008, 04:17 PM
DOMAR
Intermediate

I called harley up psn in manual 4 customer service the fix (inner primary bearing) 225.00 usd at the dealer. Harleypaid back 175.00 usd however in store credit only Ohhhh well better than nothing. they (Harley) handled it as an extended warranty issue You pay the 1st 50.00 usd

Old 05-25-2008, 06:54 PM
TIED52
Stage III

Greetings to all!

I'm a first time Harley owner who just put down money on a used 2006 Wide Glide. Now I hear that there has been an issue with a primary drive bearing going bad. The salesman at Hal's NEVER mentioned any need for HD to replace this bearing at 15k miles but am I buying into a major problem?

Bill O.

Old 06-03-2008, 05:15 PM
Pixs
Tourer

Hi Guys,

Well here is an up date for you. 1,072 after the last replacement and it is screaming yet again. I'm too pissed to go back to the dealer at the moment. The good news is the clutch hub bearing is not yet screaming. Actually the noise started to show up on my last ride to AZ at about 500 miles after the so called permant fix. Stay tuned for an up date.

Graham, thanks for the information, I will look for the 08 part number. Currently, my thinking is that I'll do it myself if they will supply the parts, this will be the 4 bearing in 21,449 miles. Great quality, I wish to hell I bought a Honda. (Actually a Moto Guzzi.)

Best to all,

Pixs

Old 06-06-2008, 02:47 PM
lesrrt
Novice

I got my bike via Baltimore HD. Rode 30mi without any noise, Time will tell I guess

Quick Reply: Primary Bearing 06 Dyna and newer models