Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Tranny mainshaft fluid leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 10:25 PM
ritz
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny mainshaft fluid leak

The bike is a 2K Fat Boy w/50K miles. I am trying to resolve a fluid leak that was dripping from the left side of the frame in the area of the trans sprocket.
Pulled the primary cover and inner primary and discovered fluid pooling within the trans sprocket (see photo).
The leak does not appear to be coming from the seal behind the trans mainshaft bearing race, but from behind the locking place under the trans mainshaft sprocket nut.
Question: anyone have a clue what (seal ?) may be causing the fluid leak?
Another thing I noticed is that I can rotate the trans mainshaftabout 60 degrees before the trans sprocket begins to move. Is this normal or is the trans sprocket supposed to rotate in unison with the trans mainshaft?
Any guidance would be appreciated.

[IMG]local://upfiles/16947/C9E79023302646D5A6911648ABC0B716.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-19-2007, 11:14 PM
lilmike9
Intermediate
Default RE: Tranny mainshaft fluid leak

Sounds like the main shaft seal. And I see by the pic that you have tape on the shaft, vary nice. If you try and install the main shaft seal with out taping the splines on the main shaft you will leave little gashes in the sealand itwill leak right after your done with joband back from your test ride. And make sure the seal is installed with some careful force. A socket works good.

Old 11-20-2007, 05:53 PM
03dragonRK
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It'sthe mainshaft seal or the quad seal or both. Once you remove the transmission sprocket you should be able to see if its leaking in that area. The sprocket pushes on the sprocket spacer which pushes on the quad seal. Once you pull the sprocket the presser on the spacer will be removed andfluid will start to seep out past the quad. If you pull out the spacer the fluid will pour out so I would dump the fluid frist and change both seals.Looks like your inner race has moved maybe pushing on the seal which could have caused the seal to fail. There are pullers for the inner race, but they require that you can get the puller behind the race. If you do not have that space then what I have done is carefully using a thin cutoff wheel on my die grinder cut slots into the race to give my split puller something to grab and use the top part of my inner race puller bolted to the split puller to pull off thr race. If you try this - Do Not cut to deep into the race -or you will be replacing the mainshaft.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:10 PM
ritz
5th Gear

lilmike9 & 03dragonRK - thank you both for the response. I've looked at Jims and George's Garage for the 'specialty' tools (i.e., sprocket locker, sprocket locknut wrench, mainshaft bearing race tool, seal drivers)...do you guys have any other recommendations on where I can get these tools without breaking the bank?

Old 11-21-2007, 07:00 AM
03dragonRK
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have Jims tools, but the tools shown on George's Garage look like quality tools and at a lower price then Jims. I need fork tools and plan on purchasing them from George's.
The movement between the shaft and the sprocket is normal. I did not degree it, but if I hold my finger above a spline and then rotate the shaft untill the sprocket starts to move the shaft has moved three splines.

Old 11-22-2007, 06:56 AM
ritz
5th Gear

03dragonRK - thanks for the note about the rotation of the mainshaft with regard to the sprocket. Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

Old 11-22-2007, 04:12 PM
tobyhd1
Tourer

Try Jireh for the tools,I got a bunch af the Harley tools from them.Toby

Old 11-23-2007, 06:45 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

try www.automotivemachine.com I was told that they rent tools.

Old 11-30-2007, 07:26 AM
gunnert
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have some Jim's but mostly George's tools. They work great.