Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Main Drive Shaft Oil Seal - Replacement Cost at Dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 08:32 AM
badco_67
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, this is really helpful.

Old 04-01-2010, 01:32 PM
badco_67
Intermediate

I received my package from Cometic yesterday and will be putting everything back together tomorrow.

I have removed the inner primary bearing race and had a local shop press out the old bearing and replace with new bearing from Baker. I have installed the starter jackshaft seal and mainshaft seal in the inner primary.

I will be installing the other seals tonight/tomorrow and buttoning it all back up.

A couple lingering questions. Should I use blue loctite on all fasteners except for the compensating sprocket nut, and the main shaft nut, and use red loctite on these?

What about the bolts for the pulley lockplate and the Starter bolts? red or blue?

Also, when I removed the inner primary, there seemed to be a bead of silicone type material on the mating surface with the crankcase. Although, I only saw a round gasket/o-ring for re-installing...Should I be putting something on here?

Thanks again for all your assistance, you guys are very helpful.

Old 07-25-2010, 06:47 AM
kruk
Stage I

Originally Posted by gforrest2
I appreciate all the responses. Lots of good information. I don't know how anyone can own a Harley and not belong to one of these forums. Like OneBlackFly, I don't want to tackle this problem either, but money, or the lack thereof, is a good motivator to try to fix it myself. There seems to be different opinions on whether the leak is damaging the bike (dirt in seal scoring the shaft?). If I knew for sure no harm was happening, I would opt for just topping the tranny off once a month. Wouldn't be more that a quart during our short riding season up here.

This leak will do damage to your drive belt, I have the same leak and I am now pulling my bike apart to replace the belt, which is not very worn, but still broke due to the fluid leaking onto it. My service manual also states that this can make a belt prematurely wear.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:37 PM
cdrich
Cruiser

I am going on a year now and three changes of all seals as well as a new main drive gear and I still have a leak. This has been the most annoying leak I have ever experienced, oh and by the way during this leak I have redone base gaskets and replaced all the way up to have a rocker box warp and have to be replaced and then the moco gasket failed to have them replaced again and then the transmission started leaking as well. This year has sucked and my primary still has a leak. Now everyone is telling me that my inner mys be warped and of course it is discontinued by HD. with the 3k I have spent on chasing leaks this year I could have bought a sporty and had a bar hopper.

Thanks for letting me git that off my chest.............

Old 09-15-2010, 04:29 PM
wheel752
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a lot of work....just did mine..about 5 1/2 hours...changed inner primary bearing and inner bearing race..nice and tight...smooth..was worth it...old one lasted 10 years

Old 09-16-2010, 07:52 AM
C-Cat
Tourer

Originally Posted by gunnert
My .02, take the $300 you were going to spend at the dealer and buy a Service Manual and a couple of tools special tools (Compensator socket, clutch hub socket, and mainshaft bearing inner race tool). George's Garage is where I have bought several of my tools. Order a bearing kit from Baker for the inner primary and you won't have to reinstall the race. Only other tool other than normal hand tools you'll need is an air compressor and 1/2" impact wrench. You'll "want" the impact wrench for removing the compensator nut and clutch hub nut (you can get by without it but you'll probably do a lot of cursing!) This way, you'll spend around $200 and have the tools for later jobs. Honestly, this isn't a hard fix at all. Good Luck
didn't read the whole thread, but get the baker replacement bearing which gets rid of the race. i had this problem from the race walking inward taking out the seals. replaced all seals, bearings. we even pulled the gearset and checked everything while the entire primary was out it wasn't that much more work. 2000 miles later no leak.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:12 AM
Rogeraroyals
Novice

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
The spacer I`m referring to is the one that is on the mainshaft, behind the pulley, it`s outer surface is the sealing surface for the big rubber seal that is over the big ball bearing. That is the seal that Paul suspects is leaking.

The seal between the main drive gear and the mainshaft would cause the lube to leak on the side of the pulley nearest the primary cover. That is a seal that I think is often overlooked when chasing a leak.
THAT is what I believe is leaking on my FLH. Do I need to pull the shaft in order to get to it? It doesn't look like I can dig it out of in between the two shats...