Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Baker DD6

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 05:39 PM
46u
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
If you put a wooden hammer handle against the starter shaft, and hold it while someone else cranks it ...you can run it with the primary cover off and "see" where the noise is coming from. My bet is you can do some minor clearance work inside the primary and be smiling.
You would think if the chain or something else was making that much noise from hitting something you would see evidence of it. I have checked the inner and outer primary numerous times and do not see any evidence of anything hitting anywhere.

One of the many strange things about this is the noise was not as bad until I installed the fine tooth adjuster Baker recommended and sold me. I put about 5K on it before trying the fine tooth adjuster. I am going to take it out and put the stock adjuster back in. I am all so going to try a HB 125 once the thicker shoe gets here for it.

I have been riding and working on Harley s none stop for over 40 years. I have had many a head scratchier but this one takes the cake. LOL I am just glade it is on mine and not a customers. LOL

Old 03-31-2011, 09:17 PM
cateyetech
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have put in a few DD. I don't think a auto chain adjuster will fit with the new primary set up. If your sure the chain is not hitting & the noise goes away with your stock sprocket, you may want to check the new sprocket thickness (outer face to ramp tip) your video sounds like a bike with the crank nut coming loose. If the niose goes away under a load, you may need to add a shim to the crank nut (outer end/where washer is) to increase the compensator spring pressure. My 2 cents Good Luck

Old 03-31-2011, 09:39 PM
46u
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by cateyetech
I have put in a few DD. I don't think a auto chain adjuster will fit with the new primary set up. If your sure the chain is not hitting & the noise goes away with your stock sprocket, you may want to check the new sprocket thickness (outer face to ramp tip) your video sounds like a bike with the crank nut coming loose. If the niose goes away under a load, you may need to add a shim to the crank nut (outer end/where washer is) to increase the compensator spring pressure. My 2 cents Good Luck

I have gone as far as pulling the alternator rotor and checking the magnets in the rotor and making sure the stator is tight and not flopping around. I have seen this cause noise more then once.

Now as far as shimming not sure where you say to put the shim. When you tighten down the motor sprocket nut the spring plate bottoms out on the sprocket shaft extension so putting a shim on the nut does not seem like it would do any good. Please explain.

When I put the DD6 in my bike had around 80K on it. I use to have a noise when I would go to take off that sounded like the compensating sprocket. I put a NEW spring plate and what Harley calls the sliding cam in and it did get rid of that noise when I first pull off.

I have talked to Roger at Southern Oregon Hot Bike that makes the HB 125 and said he has many DD6 users running the HB 125. He makes a thicker shoe for it and said to put a 1/8 thick washer in the shoe where the plunger goes before putting on the hydraulic plunger.

When I put all the stock stuff in the primary there is very little noise nothing like with the Baker stuff in there.

I do thank all for the input as in my 40 years of working on Harley s is got to be the most frustrating problem I have come across to date.

Last edited by 46u; 03-31-2011 at 09:42 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:32 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by 46u
I would not call it crippling high gearing as do to the way the transmission is made with the gearing in first gear is very close to stock ratio. The reason HD and Baker went to a 6 speed is so you could have higher final gearing but the first five gears would get you there with out putting the strain on anything while getting to high gear. Similar to big trucks I would think and why they have so many gears. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I do appreciate all input but do not think the gearing is the problem besides that a 27th sprocket is $150 and in my situations is not feasible at the moment. Have not had a steady job in 2 years. May others are running the same gearing with out a problem. But I have seen stranger things.
Thanks
I haven't worked for a couple of years either, so fully understand! Means we can think about stuff though, even if we can't do much.

I've been running my TC88 with stage 1 mods and a 21T compensator, while your bike is pushing a 28T. That is a huge difference in overall gearing! Mine is doing 20mph/1,000rpm while yours is 27mph/1,000rpm and mine is giving 33% more torque at the rear wheel than yours, in top gear, purely due to the difference in gearing.

The reason Harley went to 6 gears was indeed to increase gearing, but to help their bikes meet noise regulations. They've been raising gearing since the early Evos and I have a bee in my bonnet about lowering gearing to more sensible levels. We azre often keen to do stage 1 mods and the like, but tend not to undue the harm done by raised gearing. Lecture over!

Old 04-01-2011, 06:57 AM
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I went through all the 6-speed stuff and had all the associated problems and noises trying to make a TC run in some overdrive configuration. All my problems ended when I yanked all that stuff out and put the old 5-speed back in with stock gearing. The TC was designed to run around 3100 RPM at 70, that is how the dresser was geared when the very first ones came off the assembly line and that's where they feel best going down the road. Trying to drop a few hundred RPM just is not worth the effort or $ and you will never save enough fuel to pay for it or reduce any vibration to make it feel any better. I learned the hard way.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:30 AM
46u
Road Warrior

My bike bone stock has no problem running 70 MPH turning around 2600 rpm. It does not start lugging till I hit about 62 MPH at 2000 RPM which it has all ways started lugging at 2K. Even with the noise I have put around 5K on the transmission and if I can get rid of the noise in the primary I am very happy with it.

1550vt what 6 speed did you try?

Old 04-01-2011, 09:45 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

My Dyna was quite unpleasantly rough when running at lower engine speeds, then approaching 3,000rpm it smoothed out a treat. With my lowered gearing that was just under 60mph, from which it would not only accelerate like a Harley should, but it was a joy to ride. Riding a TC88 around below 3,000rpm is to be discouraged, it is not being allowed to shine!

Old 04-01-2011, 09:59 AM
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Mine is a long painful story and I know Baker and JIMS may have came a long way since, but you still read about issues with all the 6-speed kits. I had a JIMS built on a Baker design. I suppose JIMS built the thing under some form of agreement with Baker. It had Baker laser-cut right on the top of the trap door. Mine never failed to work, but you could hardly ride it in 6th. for all the noise and it was a like a .86 OD.....which was way to high for a heavy bike. Anywhere below 75 in 6th. was wasting your time. On a cool day, I could run down around 2800 or so in 6th., but anything below that put way too much strain on the motor. Uphill was an automatic downshift no matter what the grade. Except for the terrible rattle in 6th. gear, you could run it well at 80-85. I talked to JIMS (more than once) and they told me they were all noisy. I talked to Baker and they said all of their new models were not noisy. JIMS offered to take it back and re-work it for something close to what it cost in the first place (@$2,500), but would not guarantee any noise reduction. I simply chose not to invest another $3,000 in anybody's 6-speed. I had a gut full. I never saved a drop of fuel, or noticed any improvement...just had an extra gear and a bunch of noise.

I realize the newer kits have reduced the OD down to a more reasonable gearing...like .96 or .98. I just did not want to fool with trying to continue to re-gear the primary, or output pulleys to something I could live with and still have the noise I had. My 5-speed is as quite as a church-mouse and my experimentation with anybody's 6-speed gear-set is over. The TC is a square motor (almost) and it likes to run at a higher RPM than a long-rod motor like the EVO was. IMHO....2600-2700 RPM is just too low to try and make it run comfortably under load.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:01 AM
46u
Road Warrior

That is why it has gears so if you want to accelerate fast you down shift one or two gears. LOL I ran my bike for about 80K with the stock 5 speed before putting the DD6 in and now have about 5K on it with the DD6. She runs smooth with the DD6 if anything smoother then the stock 5 speed. Keep in mind the DD6 4th, 5th and 6th have helical cut gears. When I get rid of the the noise and I will no matter what it takes I will be very happy with it until I put my sidecar on then I more then likely will be lowering the gearing. I had the 6 speed before I got the sidecar. Need something so I can take all 3 of my grandsons riding at once. LOL

I have found gearing for the most part is personal preference.
I do thank ALL for your input.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:06 AM
46u
Road Warrior

BIG difference between the OD6 and the DD6! The DD6 is the same in 6th gear as as stock 5th 1 to 1 and the OD6 is a true over drive. I agree unless you have a really power full motor the OD6 is WAY to much. I paid less then $2K for my DD6 NEW. I will agree after running one I would not recommend the investment but since I have it now I will get it where it makes me happy.

I do not have a problem with transmission noise just primary noise as it has helical cut 4th, 5th and 6th. Even Harley on their 6 speeds had problems with noise before going to helical cut gears.
Thanks

Last edited by 46u; 04-01-2011 at 10:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Baker DD6