Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Clutch Adjustment By The Book

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 09:01 PM
hogdoctor
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default slipping clutch

your clutch is incapable to transferring the torque your engine is generating.
No adjustment will fix this, you need more friction inside your clutch to maintain engagement. You have three options. more surface area, by adding another friction and steel plate if your stackup dimensions will allow it, or you can add more pressure with a stronger clutch plate, or you can just replace the whole mess with a more capable clutch. If your existing clutch plates are glazed, a new set of plate may be an improvement, but likely only for the short term.

Old 07-15-2012, 11:20 AM
shovelhed84
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry to jump in but im not sure how to start a new post.
quick question on a 03 roadking have to adjust clutch every 150-200 miles not for slipping or dragging but because I keep getting alot of free play in cable at lever.
This has been hapening since I changed bars and new cables. Was not a problem with stock setup.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:22 AM
hogdoctor
Tourer
Default gaining freeplay

shovelhead 84 - I suspect your clutch cable is stretching or the sheath is compressing... hopefully it will eventually settle in and not snap on you.
what clutch cable did you buy?

Old 05-21-2013, 01:55 AM
P51Driver
Road Warrior
Received 195 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by saxxin
I have a 2012 Ultra Classic with 15,000 miles. Recently, I noticed the clutch starting to engage if I was accelerating fairly aggressively in fifth gear - the RPMs would start climbing with no associated increase in speed.

I've adjusted the clutch in accordance with the factory manual three times now. I'm making adjustments at room temperature. The first couple of times - I backed off the adjustment screw 1/2 turn after feeling the first tension. Last night I adjusted it again and backed it off 3/4 turn before locking it down.

Slack at the lever is minimal - approx 1/8th inch. Bike shifts smoothly. Starts to pull just before halfway out on release of the lever. Everything seems ok but still getting the RPM runaway when aggressively accelerating in fifth. What might I try to do differently? Thanks in advance.
I know this is an old post but slipping in 5th gear is a symptom of too little freeplay in the clutch cable. Reason is your 5th speed gears are helical cut gears and when pressure from accelerating is placed on helicut gears they will then present some side load causing the shaft to move sideways slightly. Which can cause some clutch disengagement if you don't have enough freeplay in you cable.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:33 AM
hogdoctor
Tourer
Default what to do about a slipping clutch

Agreed re: adding a bit more freeplay, as your clutch pack wears down, you lose freeplay, so add some more between the throwout bearing and clutch pack.
Also, I've found the premier aftermarket clutch vendors are recommending non-synthetic automatic transmission fluid to give the clutch the best environment to do it's job. It might take two fluid changes to get the full effect. If this doesn't cure the slippage, you will need to add clutch surface area, add spring pressure, or both. There are replacement clutch packs out there that have an additional plate, and there are pressure plates out there that use centrifugal weights to assist the spring plate in building additional spring pressure at higher rpm.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:10 PM
Grumppa
Intermediate

I have a 2008 SG just changed the clutch cable and the book says to adjust it, but I cannot get the adj nut loose I tried putting a Allen wrench on the adj and used a wrench on the nut also tried a socket? the clutch pack just keeps turning is there a trick?

Old 05-23-2013, 07:22 AM
hogdoctor
Tourer

I use an offset box end wrench, and just whack it with my hand to loosen it. You can put the transmission in gear and hold the rear brake if you like.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:24 AM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Grumppa
I have a 2008 SG just changed the clutch cable and the book says to adjust it, but I cannot get the adj nut loose I tried putting a Allen wrench on the adj and used a wrench on the nut also tried a socket? the clutch pack just keeps turning is there a trick?
Put the bike in gear and give the end of the wrench a quick hit. If you have someone to help you, have them step on the rear brake.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:31 PM
vichendrix
Advanced

Got a 2011 ultra classic stage 4 with clutch spring comes with kit now have to pull lever to grip and bearly releases , if bike is hot cannot hit neutral and very hard to shift into first and second have tried adjusting cluch no joy always right at grip done half three quarter and one full turn out what am i doing wrong hate the wsy this clutch feels. Its a cable system . Should i try a quarter turn out will that make it release further from grip?

Old 08-13-2013, 07:50 AM
hogdoctor
Tourer
Default dragging clutch

Originally Posted by vichendrix
Got a 2011 ultra classic stage 4 with clutch spring comes with kit now have to pull lever to grip and bearly releases , if bike is hot cannot hit neutral and very hard to shift into first and second have tried adjusting cluch no joy always right at grip done half three quarter and one full turn out what am i doing wrong hate the wsy this clutch feels. Its a cable system . Should i try a quarter turn out will that make it release further from grip?
Put it where it should be, 3/4 turn. changing that won't influence the range of the release mechanism. look at your cable freeplay, it should be 1/8 inch or just enough to unload the tension off the cable. If you clutch is still dragging, there's a problem somewhere else, possibly inside the clutch basket, ie bent/warped plates. look for excessively tight primary chain, too much primary oil, the *wrong* primary oil (I prefer non synth ATF) cheapo clutch cable, too fat of a handgrip blocking the clutch lever, wiped out trans door mainshaft bearing or clutch basket bearing... those are the most common offenders.

Quick Reply: Clutch Adjustment By The Book